What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  
AuthorTopic: High quality VST Reverb anyone?
69shadesofred
Posted: 9th September 2002 17:40
Hi all,

Is anybody aware of any high quality VST reverb plugins? It seems like there are all sorts of gee-whiz kind of stuff, but it would be nice to have some bread and butter fx that are used all the time, like... good, dence, warm sounding reverbs. I can't stand the sound of the reverb that comes as part of Cubase, and I have downloaded some, they all have cheap rusty metallic sound. I guess I am looking for something that would be close to a Lexicon PCM 90 quality in VST. I am willing to spend the money if the product is there.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

69 Shades of Red
Sweet Thunder
Posted: 9th September 2002 17:57
DSP/FX is said to be Lexiconish, but imo it's no where near as good as my MPX100 which only cost 120 second hand.

http://www.dspfx.com/VirtualPack/html/quotes.html
Funkybot
Posted: 9th September 2002 18:06
Ultrafunks Reverb, as well as Silverspikes Reverb.it are both very good but not quite Lexicon stuff. The problem is Reverb is generally A) very CPU intensive, and without a DSP card, native CPUs aren't quite up to speed to run a top notch reverb well just yet. And B) the thing is the algorithms, Lexicon and TC both have a lot of R&D money to spend on getting those nice reverb algo's.

If you've got a super fast CPU and some real cash and really want a very good software verb check out Sonic Timeworks Reverb X. I could only run the plate models from it on my PIII 1Ghz machine but they sounded amazing for a software verb. The problem is that the room verbs used too much CPU to run at all, and I couldn't even get more than one instance of the plates on any one project. And that's not even including the price of the thing. And if you have a couple of hundred bucks to blow on a reverb I'd check out a DSP card, like the TC Powercore (which is supposed to have a great reverb based somewhat on their hardware boxes), or UAD (haven't heard too much about the reverb but nothing but great things about the rest of the plugs).
Har
Posted: 9th September 2002 18:10
While I do have and love my Lexicon MPX1, I've been more than happy with the Ultrafunk reverb....very nice sound that suits my needs perfectly. Smile

Now, if I could just get my MPX1 connected to SONAR's Aux sends through my Audiophile's S/PDIF i/o's properly... Confused
yasodanandana
Posted: 9th September 2002 18:11
i use tcreverb, but also my little lexiconLXP1 is more sweet..... if lexicon does not produce a vst, also of a quality similar to their little ones (lxp, alex, vortex etc.) i think many will be not satisfied... reverb's reality is another matter, i am speaking of that lexicon character.....
Funkybot
Posted: 9th September 2002 18:17
Just back to another thing, Lexicon verbs don't sound all that natural, but sound very very lush, whereas TC Electronics verbs tend to sound a little more real, and natural. I imagine more dance stuff would be done on a Lexicon box, so getting the Powercore like I recomended in an earlier post would still not get you that Lexicon sound, but you'd still have a great verb.
69shadesofred
Posted: 9th September 2002 18:33
Thank you very much to all. At least now I have a starting point Smile I agree that Lexicon's don't necessarily sound natural, but I am not looking as much into the naturalness of it as I am looking for the warmth, lushness and density.

Again, thanks for the advice.

69 Shades of Red
macmod
Posted: 10th September 2002 03:45
try Dragan's DR-verb....mac only though
Macmod
Mozzer
Posted: 10th September 2002 04:22
Universal Audio's Realverb Pro - worth the cost of admission on it's own - never mind the 1176LN compressor and the Pultec EQ!!! Oh and they have a better reverb for the card in developement also.

Failing that Waves Ren Verb gets a lot of votes. Not used it myself but I've heard it and for a native plugin it sounded great.

Moz
submerge
Posted: 10th September 2002 06:11
Try Masterverb:

http://www.wavearts.com

I don't know how it compares to the DSP plugins but it's my favourite native reverb... IMHO very underrated - I hardly ever see anyone mention this plug, but I find it quite pleasing to the ear Smile
Scot Solida
Posted: 10th September 2002 06:28
I have a Lexicon MPX-1, and it does indeed sound fantastic. However, for a natural sound, try out the TC Native Reverb. Fantastic. If you are on a budget, they also have TC Native Essentials which comes with a stripped down version, as well as a filter, EQ, and compresor. I got those for $99. THey are extremely easy on the CPU, but you'd not know it to listen to them. If you want to spend more, there is Waves' stuff. For a natural sound, you can't beat their TrueVerb, and their Rennaiscance Reverb has a great vintage vibe. Also, be sure to check out Reverb X from Sonic Timeworks. This is as close to a classic Lex sound as I've heard. You can download a 14-day demo from their site. There is the less expensive 4080L from them as well. I don't have to tell you what THAT one is modelled after. I think it's only around a hundred bucks. That one is next on my shopping list...
Villy
Posted: 10th September 2002 06:31
Best "native" reverb i've heard so far comes from my Tc powercore. The problem is that you need the actual hardware to run it and it's got latency issues as well(which can be fixed via a compensator plug in).Imagine that if you run out of powercore cpu power one instance of this reverb gets 60% of my 1.5 p4 pc.(You can run 8 of them with the powercore).

From the other one's i tried in mine or other studios the one's that stood out where the Waves Renainance reverb(rverb) which is quite expensive. Waves Trueverb also sounded really decent from drums and natural sounds.The Tc native reverb sounds a bit cheap and outdated. The old Dsp/fx reverb still sounds very good and "realistic". The Cubase reverb is quite ok but it doesn't give you different room sizes ...

Best freeware plug has to be DX Reverb Light by ANWIDA Soft.

I hope we see an Ohmboyz reverb release sometime.
-SPYRO-
Posted: 10th September 2002 06:37
Wavearts Masterverb 3

Great sound and very low CPU usage.

www.wavearts.com
smart
Posted: 10th September 2002 06:53
I couldn't be happier with the Fruity Reeverb, which is actually a stripped down version of UltraFunk's reverb. I'd suggest checking it out. I also like SilverSpikes Reverb.It , and SilverSpike makes one called RoomMachine 844 which is great for room sounding reverb.

With UltraFunk you actually buy a package called SonitusFX that comes with a bunch of other effects with it for $299.
http://www.ultrafunk.com/products/sonitusfx/pluginpack.shtml

SilverSpikes Reverb.It is $39, and the RoomMachine844 is free so make sure you at least check out the RoomMachine844!
http://www.silverspike.com

There are some other pretty good ones, but I happen to like these and I bet most of the other users on the forum here will agree with me Wink
Har
Posted: 10th September 2002 06:57
smart wrote:
With UltraFunk you actually buy a package called SonitusFX that comes with a bunch of other effects with it for $299.
http://www.ultrafunk.com/products/sonitusfx/pluginpack.shtml

FYI, just to clarify: you can also get the Ultrafunk plugins individually.
submerge
Posted: 10th September 2002 09:08
Matias Monteagudo wrote:
Wavearts Masterverb 3

www.wavearts.com

YAY i'm not alone - someone else likes it Very Happy
kevvvvv
Posted: 10th September 2002 09:39
Aren't there two kinds of reverb?

The first sounds like a real room in the sense that you could play a string orchestra or quartet in it and it would sound convincing, like a pro recorded cd of a string arrangement.

The second reverb is a room sim device that gives the right sense of space to parts of a mix.

I don't know of any single VST reverb that quite does both.

Having said that, har recommends Ultrafunk reverb.

I don't think he is far wrong, as more dense reverbs like Renaissance tend to chew up cpu so greedily that creativity comes to a halt.

For instance, has anyone doing say a 50 track mix (without UAD or hardware) managed to use 2 examples of Renaissance Reverb without grinding to a halt.
bajongo
Posted: 10th September 2002 09:57
Ultrafunk reverb. Light on CPU and good sound for a lot of situations. Besides of that: Reaktor Rev 6.
Hypertone
Posted: 10th September 2002 10:01
To my ears Ultrafunk is the best software reverb that Ive heard.
69shadesofred
Posted: 10th September 2002 18:46
Ladies and gentlemen,

Thank you very much for all the suggestions and the links. Wow, this must be one of the most helpful forums I've seen Very Happy Shocked Surprised Cool

It seems UltraFunk's Sonitus:FX is a good package. I'll check it out Smile
kevvvvv
Posted: 11th September 2002 07:37
69-er ... we love threads on reverbs 'cos we all use 'em every day.

Comp threads are a close second too.

Spreading our wings a bit, I wouldn't mind hearing from anyone anywhere who's bought Anarchy Effects (you know, Convoluter, Corkscrew, Harmonic Adder, Length Separator and Spectral Autopan).

They sit on my disk and reside beyond my mean understanding Embarassed

What am I doing wrong?
Ian B
Posted: 11th September 2002 09:35
kevvvvv wrote:

Spreading our wings a bit, I wouldn't mind hearing from anyone anywhere who's bought Anarchy Effects (you know, Convoluter, Corkscrew, Harmonic Adder, Length Separator and Spectral Autopan).

They sit on my disk and reside beyond my mean understanding Embarassed

What am I doing wrong?

You are not alone, they are beyond me as well Confused
I don't think you are doing anything wrong, they are just bizarre. I think I got them around the same time as yourself and after the initial excitement wore off, I wondered just how the hell you are supposed to use them?
If I ignore the very high (P4 2.0) cpu strain, with the stereo version's anyway, I think I've mabye used them a couple of times and that's it, they are not even installed at the minute. Just like a lot of software I've bought, it seemed like a good idea at the time. They were/are a good price so I don't feel that bad about getting them, I've either got more money than sense or less sense than money (take your pick but it's probably the latter Very Happy)
TheWall
Posted: 11th September 2002 10:53
Before I get off-topic, I'd like to say I'm pretty fond of Wavearts Mastervert...Very Happy

OK. Anyone tried with AnaFX?
http://www.blackstonesoftware.com/
They sound...very special... Question
Ian B
Posted: 11th September 2002 11:25
Hi The Wall,
While your about, did you manage to sort out the prob's you were having with the Space Effect demo? I posted a "possible" reason in the other thread, don't know whether you saw it or not.
xoxos
Posted: 11th September 2002 12:08
definately guilty of overuse of roommachine here..
crimsonwarlock
Posted: 11th September 2002 12:17
I like Roommachine a lot....
I like FreeverbToo a lot too.....
I like Reverb.It even a lot more....

.... but I've seen lots of discussions on several forums about software reverbs not being able to do a convincing plate-reverb.... and now in Orion Platinum we actually have a very good quality Plate-reverb Very Happy
kritikon
Posted: 11th September 2002 14:27
All of the good plug-in reverbs have been mentioned here - but as someone said, with reverb you're probably better to buy a Lex - All of the plug-ins have their strengths - ReverbIt does very very nice rooms but the longer reverbs tend to be a bit high and "washy", DSPFX are great for big spaces but their rooms and plates not really up to it, Waves is good for short rooms and "liveliness" without the reverb wash, but their big reverbs don't sound good ...etc...etc
but with a Lex, you'll generally be happy with all of their reverbs: To be that happy with plugin reverbs you'll need to buy the whole lot - a different one for each different kind of reverb, and it may actually be cheaper in the long run with an MPX or more certainly with a 2nd hand Alex/Reflex or LXP1/5 etc.

Also you'll be safe in knowing that the reverbs you produce on any track with a Lex will be up to release quality as Lex is so commonly used - if it doesn't sound right, it's because your mix is not right, or you used the wrong reverb patch. But with a plugin you're never 100% sure whether it's your mix or the plugin that's not right.

Studio-standard doesn't always mean you get the best (take NS10s for example, or Akai samplers) but with Lex it really is true that they're used because they are so damn good and useable.
TheWall
Posted: 11th September 2002 17:04
Ian B wrote:
Hi The Wall,
While your about, did you manage to sort out the prob's you were having with the Space Effect demo? I posted a "possible" reason in the other thread, don't know whether you saw it or not.

Thanks, Ian, I'll give it another try... Very Happy
Har
Posted: 11th September 2002 17:14
Has anyone had any luck connecting a Lex directly to their computer via S/PDIF i/o's, so as to use them as part of an Aux send for, say SONAR?

I've been trying, with my Audiophile 2496: I can get the signal going TO my MPX1 from the Aux's with no problem....but can't seem to get the Audiophile to recognize digital signal coming back IN via the S/PDIF. Doesn't seem to like doing a round-trip....weird. All the connections are solid, and I can get digital audio IN from the MXP1....as long as I'm not sending OUT simultaniously....very frustraing, as it seems soooo close. Confused

I know Scot has had success doing this....has anyone else using SONAR, a Lex and an M-Audio card?
Scot Solida
Posted: 11th September 2002 17:41
Har,
If my new system EVER stops surprising me with weird misbehaviours, I will take some screenshots of my SONAR and Delta Control Panels' setup for this, and e-mail them to you...
Har
Posted: 11th September 2002 17:46
Scot Solida wrote:
Har,
If my new system EVER stops surprising me with weird misbehaviours, I will take some screenshots of my SONAR and Delta Control Panels' setup for this, and e-mail them to you...

Cool...thanks!! Very Happy

What's been happening with the new system (aside from the SONAR read/write caching you mentioned earlier)...?? Still more problems...? Surprised
Thiago Born
Posted: 12th September 2002 11:27
I have programmed a free reverb VST plugin
try it...
http://www.ocadopaje.hpg.ig.com.br/NewBornMusic/index.html
iDavid
Posted: 12th September 2002 11:45
submerge wrote:
Matias Monteagudo wrote:
Wavearts Masterverb 3

www.wavearts.com

YAY i'm not alone - someone else likes it Very Happy

HEY MAN, I like it also.

BEST PART: A 30 DAY FULLY WORKING Demo!!!!!!! Very Happy Shocked Cool

mac or pc
Ford Prefect
Posted: 12th September 2002 11:58
ocadopaje wrote:
I have programmed a free reverb VST plugin
try it...

Funny you should pop in! I just downloaded this the other day, but haven't had a chance to try her out yet....
lights
Posted: 20th September 2002 06:39
The room Machine Is pretty nice for drums..and shortt reverbs.
While the Freeverb is excellent for very long type reverbs.
Waves True verb is also cool.
Scot Solida
Posted: 20th September 2002 06:43
ocadopaje,
Yes, your NBM is a nice 'verb. Though I used a little TC and Waves, too, the NBM is all over my contest entry for this month...Thanks for making it free!
kevvvvv
Posted: 20th September 2002 08:06
ocadopaje ... just downloaded. Will try tonite. Thanx.

Would you like to tell us non-techie users a bit about the background to developing your reverb?

Why it's different? Why you did it?

tx
Greedy Soul
Posted: 20th September 2002 08:38
For anyone using a mac here check out Audio Ease Altiverb, there's a demo for a VST version on their site. The beauty of it is that its a sampling reverb, apart from being supplied with some great rooms and halls out of the box you can sample your own rooms and reverb units. I tested it out by sampling my MPX1, TC Megaverb and an old Ursa Major and it worked really well, nice to have your favorite Lexicon rooms in a plugin. It is not far off the price of an MPX1 though and a cpu dawg.

Cheers

Tim
gspin
Posted: 20th September 2002 08:50
Greedy Soul wrote:
For anyone using a mac here check out Audio Ease Altiverb, there's a demo for a VST version on their site. The beauty of it is that its a sampling reverb, apart from being supplied with some great rooms and halls out of the box you can sample your own rooms and reverb units. I tested it out by sampling my MPX1, TC Megaverb and an old Ursa Major and it worked really well, nice to have your favorite Lexicon rooms in a plugin. It is not far off the price of an MPX1 though and a cpu dawg.

Cheers

Tim

Hi Tim:

Isn't it rather CPU intensive? I mean, isn't it better to offload chores like reverb to your MPX1 (I have one too and love it)? Or are you telling me this baby is more versatile??

cheers

gspin
kevvvvv
Posted: 20th September 2002 09:43
I've not hammered NBM in a real mix yet, but initial impressions are very good.

Put a few synths through, and my Sonic Strings and it all sounded sweet. And quite controllable ... mmm ... so far, so good.

And this is free ??? Surprised Smile
brian_oppression
Posted: 20th September 2002 09:53
Waves Ren is great, as is megareverb. Wanted to try NBM, but no mac support... shame.
WilliamK
Posted: 20th September 2002 11:24
Ohhh man, I was about to start a REVERBER thread. Since I just started to use CubaseSX + VSTs and droped Cakewalk. The main problem is that I can't find a good Reverber, I allways end using the EMU-APS Reverber, wich is great, and doesn't use CPU at all. The only problem, I can only have one channel for the reverber (can't use two, one for room other for hall) and can't save the settings inside Cubase-Song-File... Sad Plus, can't render the song...

I will try all the sugestions found here, but can I ask: Anyone using the APS drivers on the sbLive?! What you think about the APS-Reverber?

Regards, WilliamK
WilliamK
Posted: 20th September 2002 11:54
Ahhh, I just downloaded all those demos and tested. UltraFunk is really good. But you guys didn't mention this other FREE Reverber: http://www.sinusweb.de/freetoo.html

On my tests, this showed to be the best option for me. Maybe I'm deaf! Laughing

What you guys think about?

Also, WaveArts/MasterVerb looks good, but sounds bad. And I tested a lot, really. Still, the NMB is very good too.

Wk
WilliamK
Posted: 20th September 2002 12:55
Ok, I just found another one. Is DX but works pretty well on CubaseSX, no crashes so far. Wink

http://www.anwida.com/dxrev.asp

It has REVERSE (loved!!!), GATE, PLATE, ROOM, HALL!!! I loved the Inverse Reverber, missed that one for a long time...

So far, the tests shows that this one has the warmer sound ever, for my taste, off course. Very Happy

Any comments?

Regards, WilliamK
Scot Solida
Posted: 20th September 2002 13:09
Yeah, I agree. That AnwidaSoft reverb is quite good. I use their graphic EQ plug-ins almost daily. Quality stuff, and sadly, not too well known.
WilliamK
Posted: 20th September 2002 13:18
Too bad it uses 3 times the CPU usage. Surprised But might be good to use it. I still need to run more tests before I make my mind. From a 0U$ to a 150U$ value...

BTW: Any other REVERSE reverbers known?

Regards, WilliamK
Funkybot
Posted: 20th September 2002 13:28
Timeworks ReverbX has a reverse feature, and damn is it the best native verb I've heard (for plates) but DAMN DOES IT USE UP CPU POWER LIKE THERE'S NO TOMORROW! Only the Plate Algos will run on my PIII 1ghz, the rooms just hault my system. Amazing sound, but something I'd definately recomend most people to stay away from.
gruberman
Posted: 20th September 2002 13:39
On the swedish cubase forum ( http://www.clubcubase.net ) a test with both hardware and software reverbs is going to be made. Hopefully it will be done this winter.
WilliamK
Posted: 20th September 2002 14:13
I just tested both Timeworks reverbers. They do use too much CPU and I didn't noticed a good HQ improve. Not to mention the ugly-interface and not-so-friendly. Actually, the ReverbeToo is very intuitive, since it has a neat graphic that shows what you can expect from the parameters. Wink And still, the best Sound x CPU-Usage.

And the REVERSE option on the TW reverber didn't work near as good as the ANWIDA one...

Regards, WilliamK
Scot Solida
Posted: 20th September 2002 14:37
I gotta go with Funkybot on this one. The Timeworks is probably my favorite 'verb out there. It comes quite close to my hardware Lexicon. Yeah, it's a bit mean to the CPU, but I use my main 'verbs on the aux busses. I had the demo for some time, and I'll definately be buying that one. As I said, I also like the TC and Waves Trueverb, though they are a different approach altogether. ReverbX seeks to sound like a vintage hardware reverb, whereas Trueverb and TC are pretty pure. As with all Timeworks GUIs, ReverbX is indeed hard to read, but worth it in the end. William, have you tried the TC Native Essentials pack? It has a reverb, an EQ, a compressor, and a filter. Here in the States, it goes for about $100. TC reverbs are some of the best ANYWHERE, and the "mini" version in the Native Essentials sounds great and uses very little CPU. Give it a try if you can. When I don't need a lot of intense programmability, I go for that one. Really pro sound.
kevvvvv
Posted: 25th September 2002 01:46
Used NBM-Studioverb last night for the first time.

I had two of them running in a biggish mix, which straightaway was good news.

(The second instance of any reverb is usually the cause of most of my cpu spikes)

What I liked the most was the lack of presets and the lack of a gui.

huh?

well ... for the last 6 months my music has used reverb settings that are basically preset tweaks, and more and more it's tended towards mushy ... losing the hard edge, the immediacy, you know?

With NBM I had to build the room from scratch with bare sliders and no arty distractions.

This worked in a positive way.

I fashioned a bright early reverb for leads and a damp bassless reverb for pads and they sat together in the mix so well.

No mush, just that nice warmth a good reverb gives.

Immediacy.

I'll be using more of NBM-Studioverb.

Could be one of the fx finds of the year Smile
whyterabbyt
Posted: 25th September 2002 02:27
This months Computer Music has an article on known Reaktor ensemble builders. (Pretty good article actually) The guy who built Steampipe mentioned that someone had bought Reaktor solely to run his REV-6 reverb ensemble as a replacement for a Lexicon 480 that had died.

So if you have access to Reaktor you could try that as well.
Thiago Born
Posted: 25th September 2002 17:53
Sorry guys...
I have posted and never answered nothing...

but here we go...

Thank to everybody that liked the plugin.

That why Ive programmed NBM-StudioVerb
1 - I wanted
2 - I allways used warez and freeware software... so ... it time to give something back now
3 - I have a recording studio... and dont want to spend XXXXXXXX us$ in softwware effects
4 - Im in the music university and wished to give a free software for it.
5 - I wanted to show the world that we (Brazilians) dont live in caves and..... guess what ... we can even program a software!!

OBS: the GUI version have a bug that you can load more than one instance of it. but I have a fixed version on my site (without GUI, yet...)

OBS2: sorry by any language errors.... not my first language Smile

thanks
Thiago Born

Rock
Posted: 8th May 2003 14:09
Thanks for the freeware Ocadopaje - btw, how can i get the earlier gui version ?
Thiago Born
Posted: 8th May 2003 17:09
Hello Rocum....

About StudioVerb GUI version.....
I have a HD crash and lost it!!!!!!!

But Im seeking the man who actually programmed the graphics....... DMI... ( he is a smartelectronix member now!!! )
He seem to have a backup copy.....

But I cant speak with him.... He dont read emails.......
but today !! I find a new email address.....

So.... If he still have the backup copy..... I will release it again.....

Thanks.....!!!
Did you guys checked AudioBox?????
KVR Developer Challenge 2014