What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  
AuthorTopic: Antares Warm Tube Plug
Ned Bouhalassa
Posted: 22nd January 2003 08:07
Warning: like most Antares products, it's on the expensive side and it uses PACE, but, try it for 10 days and have fun!

http://www.antares-systems.com/products/tube.html

Very addictive, especially the angel and devil tubes graphics! Cool
pricer
Posted: 22nd January 2003 13:36
I've got the Mic Modelling thing (came with 2496) I can't say the tube modelling in that blew me away, it was a very quick go though.
pricer
Posted: 22nd January 2003 13:37
though the heaven/hell thing is a really nice touch.
Aleksey Vaneev
Posted: 22nd January 2003 14:00
Be careful buying this piece of... software Very Happy

Calling waveshaper a tube amplifier is kinda market language trick. I'm familiar with this. Smile

No, really, this Tube is just a clean transistor distortion algorithm.

Or am I wrong? (who can argue with the success? Wink
sascha
Posted: 23rd January 2003 00:34
PiCoder wrote:
Be careful buying this piece of... software Very Happy

Calling waveshaper a tube amplifier is kinda market language trick. I'm familiar with this. Smile

No, really, this Tube is just a clean transistor distortion algorithm.

Or am I wrong? (who can argue with the success? Wink

The interface is cool, indeed. 'They've made it, finally' I thought. But frankly, I was a bit disappointed by the sonic results.

It shows off the same problem all we analog modelling believers are confronted with:
It's not the real thing.

But they hardly tell us Wink
realmarco
Posted: 23rd January 2003 11:20
pratically no difference between Antares tue and CamelPhatFree.
I tried a piano , a synth and someguitar samples.

they both sound exactly the same Sad
Ned Bouhalassa
Posted: 23rd January 2003 11:42
The tips of your fingers may be frozen (mine are), but you're absolutely right, Real One. I just tried a comparison with the free Camel myself - no difference.

I think I'll spend my money on CamelPhat V2 instead: 1/3 the price and many more features! Wink
Funkybot
Posted: 23rd January 2003 11:53
You figure with the R&D money they have they can do better than freeware Very Happy . Hey Sascha how about an EQ, and another 'warmer' plug. THD is pretty damn good though, I only discovered it recently. Maybe Anteres should hire you Wink .
AmPeR
Posted: 23rd January 2003 11:54
If the people at Antares really believe,a tube sounds in such a way ?!?!
Then, good night HiHi

As a EFX its Oki for me
sascha
Posted: 24th January 2003 02:14
Funkybot wrote:
Hey Sascha how about an EQ, and another 'warmer' plug.

I thought about that. But at the moment, I'm not keen on such things. There are lots of good EQs out there, digitally speaking. Making a odd model that's capable of doing more than 'usual' stuff requires time and effort that I am currently not willing to sacrifice. I'm still a musician...

Quote:
THD is pretty damn good though, I only discovered it recently. Maybe Anteres should hire you Wink .

From my today's point of view, THD is pretty bad. Okay, it may not be the worst thing around, but it shows how far all our digital toys are away from the 'real thing'. Plug in a mediocre guitar tube preamp, compare it to the tons of 'simulators' and you know what I mean.

Even if any simulation comes closer and closer some day, I'd still put in question what's the meaning of it all.

[ Why doing cybersex when there's real people around? ]

Meanwhile, a whole generation is growing up with a grainy, soulless sound and does not even notice a thing. I really see a danger in constantly getting rid of analog equipment within the music-making process.
Isn't is ridiculous that our music is taking place virtually as numbers in the creation phase while the mastering engineers still rely on analog outboard equipment? Do they have to be the last people in the creation chain giving life to a recording?

I think it's good to have a few digital simulators / toys at hand when you're on a budget. But if you can afford it, go and buy the real thing. This I said 2 years ago as I started with THD, and I would say it again today.

You might ask 'so why you're doing this?'. It's been an experiment, I am getting experience as a programmer, it's been fun and helped me to see things clearer. And I didn't spend a single cent.
But if I were in the situation that I had to pay for such amusement (and that's what making music should be about), I'd spent my limited money on real tube equipment. Even if it's just that I can unscrew the top plate and have a look what lies inside... my trust in software is never that high.
RegPhoenix
Posted: 24th January 2003 02:17
I thought Antares Autotune had a very natural sound to it.

I do like the Tube though - good for adding extra breathiness to vocals.

Very Happy

Reg
emerald tablet
Posted: 24th January 2003 02:46
http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/SimulAnalog/

* Tube Screamer (Overdrive stompbox)

sounds amazing to me !

on this one :

i can`t say i ever dissliked anything antares build

i think this new tube amp will be good, i haven`t tried it out yet

but nothing beats a real tube amp
wakax
Posted: 24th January 2003 03:36
is not a good tool.
is quite bad actually
you could hear the digital artefacts most of the time
putte
Posted: 24th January 2003 03:51
hmmm ..... i also tried antares tube .... Rolling Eyes

dont know, not good, not bad.
(but id love to have the money for their kantos-pluggie)
putte
Ben [Camel Audio]
Posted: 24th January 2003 09:28
Hi Ned and realmarco

Quote:
I just tried a comparison with the free Camel myself - no difference.

I think I'll spend my money on CamelPhat V2 instead: 1/3 the price and many more features!

Quote:

pratically no difference between Antares tube and CamelPhatFree. I tried a piano , a synth and someguitar samples. they both sound exactly the same.

Glad to hear that CamelPhatFree is standing up to the competition! BTW. I don't know if any of you are readers of Sound on Sound magazine (UK) or Keyboard magazine (US), but they both ran reviews recently of SuperCamelPhat2, and they both loved it. I'll put the reviews up on the website shortly.

I've done a lot of research since I did CamelPhatFree, and I'm considering making a flexible distortion/amp simulator in which you can design distortions to sound as you wish. I would also do presets which sound like classics amps etc. Is this something you'd be interested in? and what features would you like to see (particularly if they don't exist elsewhere)? I might also put the capability to do very realistic tape saturation with a choice different tape types etc.

Thanks
Ben
Caz
Posted: 25th January 2003 04:55
Poweruser wrote:
http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/SimulAnalog/

* Tube Screamer (Overdrive stompbox)

sounds amazing to me !

Hey, cant seem to locate that one, any idea where to pick it up?

Regards
Cas
realmarco
Posted: 25th January 2003 13:13
Ben [Camel Audio] wrote:
Hi Ned and realmarco

Quote:
I just tried a comparison with the free Camel myself - no difference.

I think I'll spend my money on CamelPhat V2 instead: 1/3 the price and many more features!

Quote:

pratically no difference between Antares tube and CamelPhatFree. I tried a piano , a synth and someguitar samples. they both sound exactly the same.

Glad to hear that CamelPhatFree is standing up to the competition! BTW. I don't know if any of you are readers of Sound on Sound magazine (UK) or Keyboard magazine (US), but they both ran reviews recently of SuperCamelPhat2, and they both loved it. I'll put the reviews up on the website shortly.

I've done a lot of research since I did CamelPhatFree, and I'm considering making a flexible distortion/amp simulator in which you can design distortions to sound as you wish. I would also do presets which sound like classics amps etc. Is this something you'd be interested in? and what features would you like to see (particularly if they don't exist elsewhere)? I might also put the capability to do very realistic tape saturation with a choice different tape types etc.

Thanks
Ben

with a Mac version? for sure Smile

..one thing I find out cool is in the blues tube distorti plugin..after the distortion there is a lowpass and hipass filter.
but it doesn't do it on the the total sound..it does t on the distorted signal(does that make sense?)

that would be etremely cool, cause sometime ,
I just want midrangy overdrive, no that treble shooshynesss
helium
Posted: 27th January 2003 03:24
Just tryed CamelphatFree.

Well, the Distorsion is very stupid. it might be OK for synths, but on guitars it just sounds stupid (I play a real guitar).

When I looked how it works I saw it just pushs the volume and if the signal goes over a specific threshold a special curve is used to clip it.
This way there is a very sharp angel at this threshold.

But the compression is good I you want to distor your guitar afterwars.

I still prefer using my own distorsionplugin. Especialy since the new version has a presence filter.

I thougt about a tapesaturaision-simulater, too. But I'll wait for yours.

(edit: used a german word. can't imagine why I did that)
helium
Posted: 27th January 2003 04:03
OK, now I got CamelPhat2 Demo and Antares Tube Demo.

Like a real tube Antares tube affects the positif part of the signal different to the negativ pat. This way it creates a lot of even Harmonics on a sinusodial.
Other than a real tube it just looks like a very soft saturation on the positiv part and a hat clip at the negativ part.

CamelPhat2's Tube affects the positiv signal the same way as the negativ one. This way it only creates odd harmonics on a sinusodial. It uses the same algorithm as the free version does.

I don't like both of them. If I had to choose I'd prefer Antares Tube, but it's not worth the money.

As I could code Campephats Tube on my one in about one day I wouldn't buy it, because of it's "Tube". (calling that a Tube is realy nasty. You could call it soft distotion or what ever but not Tube. OK my tubesimulation isn't perfect. Calling my "tube" Tube is almoast a fake, but yours is just arogant.)

Still like this realy hard compressor and the bandpassfilter is cool, too.

And having all the other things Camelphat offers makes it worth buing it.
whyterabbyt
Posted: 27th January 2003 04:31
Helium if you're just going to use these forums to slag off other developers you're in competition with, just bugger off, will you.
If there's anything 'stupid' and 'arrogant' around here its your attitude.
Ben [Camel Audio]
Posted: 27th January 2003 05:58
RealMarco,
Glad you like the idea, and of course there would a Mac version too. Having filtering on the distorted output only would definitely be a good idea.

Helium,
I'm glad you like the compressor and band-pass filter and you think CamelPhat is worth buying. I accept that my 'tube' setting is not a mathematically accurate model of a tube device. I used that name to try and give some indication of the type of affect. The fact that a number of people have posted saying that it sounds the same as Antares tube modeller is an indication that it does sound somewhat similar. I would however take issue with you saying that its not good for use with 'real guitars' - certainly many of my customers - including some who are pros and play guitars (check the reviews section on my website) might politely disagree.

Ben
FilthyK
Posted: 27th January 2003 07:01
Damn, getting heated here ...

I only jumped on to say that I just tried CamelPhatFree the other day on my vocals and was fairly impressed with the sound. Nice work, Ben! I've been looking at different soft compressors as of late, and I would definitely consider your product for purchase.

Hate to see the slagging, though. Let's have a little class here, helium. If you're a developer, you must pump up your own product on its own merit, not pump up your product by downing another persons work. That never works. Besides, I never got the impression Ben was trying to make a guitar-distortion ... seemed to me like his distortion was an attempt to add a little grrr to a vocal for a more harde-edged, rock sound ... and in that respect, it works great!

Layyyter ...
iDavid
Posted: 27th January 2003 07:35
Ben
I love the idea of your amp simulator. I tried Amplitude and liked it, but man is it on the expensive side... Probably worth it, but a less expensive product would be nice too Very Happy
aMUSEd
Posted: 27th January 2003 08:25
Aren't there other tube emulations about already - what about Ruby Tube, or that one that comes with SX - daTube?

Can't Vintage Warmer do a lot of what these do as well?
realmarco
Posted: 27th January 2003 22:48
helium wrote:
OK, now I got CamelPhat2 Demo and Antares Tube Demo.

Like a real tube Antares tube affects the positif part of the signal different to the negativ pat. This way it creates a lot of even Harmonics on a sinusodial.
Other than a real tube it just looks like a very soft saturation on the positiv part and a hat clip at the negativ part.

CamelPhat2's Tube affects the positiv signal the same way as the negativ one. This way it only creates odd harmonics on a sinusodial. It uses the same algorithm as the free version does.

I don't like both of them. If I had to choose I'd prefer Antares Tube, but it's not worth the money.

As I could code Campephats Tube on my one in about one day I wouldn't buy it, because of it's "Tube". (calling that a Tube is realy nasty. You could call it soft distotion or what ever but not Tube. OK my tubesimulation isn't perfect. Calling my "tube" Tube is almoast a fake, but yours is just arogant.)

Still like this realy hard compressor and the bandpassfilter is cool, too.

And having all the other things Camelphat offers makes it worth buing it.

hmmm this is puzzeling

did you compare with similar setting( camelPhatFREE at 50% same Antares's tube...then maxed phatfre and same antares compared)

to my ears they sound pretty much the same.

I'd liked to be proven wrong any audiofiles ?

out of curiosity, what is your product( there's no website or any info inyour profile)
helium
Posted: 28th January 2003 10:39
Hey,
sorry Ben, I was in a bad mood that day.

Quote:

did you compare with similar setting( camelPhatFREE at 50% same Antares's tube...then maxed phatfre and same antares compared)

Yes I tried to use similar settings. And yes they sound similar, but still different.

Quote:
out of curiosity, what is your product (there's no website or any info inyour profile)

I have a page, but it's a bit outdated. I'll update it in february.

My product is a distortion / drive (don't compare it to what I've posted a month ago, even if this new plugin is based on that one).

It was intended to be used on guitars, as I play guitar on my own. This plugin should do all the distortion and drive you want and afterwards you only would have to use a speaker-simulation.
But my plugin is a bit complicated. you have 7 parameters only for the tube, 3 for a distorsionunit 3 for the limiter, 3 for the presencefilter, ... I till now I have no useerdefined Interface, so using it is a bit hard.

And it is still in beat-stage. Wavelab says it would crash if you close Wavelab if you've used my plugin befor. And I just can't find what causes this bug.

So it will take awhile, till I release it.

And once again: sorry for slugging you Ben.
Ben [Camel Audio]
Posted: 28th January 2003 12:00
Hi helium,

Quote:

Thats OK. Good look with your plugin.

Ben
realmarco
Posted: 28th January 2003 14:59
helium wrote:
Hey,

Quote:

Yes I tried to use similar settings. And yes they sound similar, but still different.

Quote:
out of curiosity, what is your product (there's no website or any info inyour profile)

I have a page, but it's a bit outdated. I'll update it in february.

My product is a distortion / drive (don't compare it to what I've posted a month ago, even if this new plugin is based on that one).

It was intended to be used on guitars, as I play guitar on my own. This plugin should do all the distortion and drive you want and afterwards you only would have to use a speaker-simulation.
But my plugin is a bit complicated. you have 7 parameters only for the tube, 3 for a distorsionunit 3 for the limiter, 3 for the presencefilter, ... I till now I have no useerdefined Interface, so using it is a bit hard.

And it is still in beat-stage. Wavelab says it would crash if you close Wavelab if you've used my plugin befor. And I just can't find what causes this bug.

So it will take awhile, till I release it.

And once again: sorry for slugging you Ben.

got any audiofiles of your pluing ?
Advertisements