What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  
AuthorTopic: Is there a dr.rex type vsti?
Aff
Posted: 11th September 2003 08:31
Just wondered. Dr. Rex is so extremely good fun but have to rewire through cubase which is a pain and quality is questionable. also transfering midi files from reason to cubase.

so is there an alternative? i mean, a proper alternative which keeps the simplicity and the functionality?
dougsyo
Posted: 11th September 2003 08:44
Aff wrote:
Just wondered. Dr. Rex is so extremely good fun but have to rewire through cubase which is a pain and quality is questionable. also transfering midi files from reason to cubase.

so is there an alternative? i mean, a proper alternative which keeps the simplicity and the functionality?

I haven't played with Reason, but IIRC Dr. Rex is a loop player for Recycle-processed loops.

That being the case, check out Dicer (ConcreteFX) or BeatBurner (CodeAudio).

Disclaimer: I was a beta tester for Dicer.

Doug
MEC
Posted: 11th September 2003 08:51
Aff wrote:

If you didn't know you can load Rex files directly onto Cubase SX without the need of a third party vsti. Smile
Hewitt Huntwork
Posted: 11th September 2003 09:00
NI's INTAKT is promising to load REX and REX2 but there hasn't been a news item on them in 8 months. Sad
flopmartin
Posted: 11th September 2003 09:22
Although it doesn't read rex files (as far as I know), pHATmatik pro is a vst instrument which has the same ability than Dr Rex. Give it a drum loop (wav format) and it will let you create your own beats at your will. Plus, it makes the slicing alltogether: no third party slicer application needed.
You should try the demo: it rocks!!!
paul minot
Posted: 11th September 2003 09:47
The new Dicer by ConcreteFX does similar things to Phatmatik Pro and is half the price.
dougsyo
Posted: 11th September 2003 10:21
paul minot wrote:
The new Dicer by ConcreteFX does similar things to Phatmatik Pro and is half the price.

Actually, one third - and will continue to be supported on Windows.

Doug
flopmartin
Posted: 12th September 2003 00:36
Did I miss something? Phatmatik Pro would be subject to an only-mac kind of disease? Scared
Krakatau
Posted: 12th September 2003 01:39
I'm afraid yes Sad
ModuLR
Posted: 12th September 2003 01:41
I am a PC user who is a supporter of Phatmatik Pro. It rocks. I tried Dicer, and honestly I don't like it much at all. Phatmatik just makes more sense IMHO, it has a modulation matrix, drag n' drop midi and drag n' drop audio files.. I don't know what people expect of a slicer... but I don't see the need for much development beyond what Phatmatik already does. People harp on the fact that PC users won't get updates beyond 1.2 ... but who cares? it already exceeds anything Dr.Rex and Recycle can do. It's a great slicer.
Aff
Posted: 12th September 2003 02:26
i had considered looking at phatmatik pro. when i heard it was destined for mac development only i reconsidered, mainly because, yes, it may do everything at the moment but i would expect some degree of support into the future in line with other creations which are bound to follow.

i am reluctant that a new product will come out with stuff that hasn't been tho0ught of and having learnt the phatmatik way, can not look to the developers to produce a better product.

drag and drop midi and audio does sound good though. effects too?

dr rex is very simplistic but it's very usable. something a little more polished as a vsti would be great.
scuzzphut
Posted: 12th September 2003 02:30
be careful with that drag-n-drop, though.

If you are using Cubase SX, there's a bug which means you can't dnd the midi from phatmatik into SX.
ModuLR
Posted: 12th September 2003 02:42
but that is not a bug in Phatmatik PRO. SX, in it's current state, simply doesn't support dnd.

BTW, I can understand folk's desire for upgrades. However, I think if a product is great at what it does... sometimes you don't need an upgrade. It just is what it is. Phatmatik falls in that category for me. I just don't see what else a slicer is s'posed to do.
Phaedo
Posted: 12th September 2003 03:02
Err... you can't DnD any MIDI into Cubase SX, can you?

There was a free pHATmatik REX file player, but it seems to have gone south.
scuzzphut
Posted: 12th September 2003 03:18
slight misunderstanding.

I KNEW the bug was in SX and not phatmatik - I just didn't convey that very well in my post. Smile
flopmartin
Posted: 12th September 2003 03:27
ModuLR, I agree with you: a good tool as phatmatik pro doesn't need further updates. I just fear that, after the big Logic move, more developers decide to go Mac-only.

I have nothing against Mac - I don't want to drop into the annoying PC-Mac's users war - but I like my PC and I hope to be still able to make PC based music next year or so... Sad

On the other hand, I must admit there is very good PC-only stuffs, and FL Studio alone should justify owning a PC. :fruity:

Cheers
Phaedo
Posted: 12th September 2003 03:27
Well, we can now all pay for DnD in SX2, so that we'll be up to the feature set of... err... VST5. Mad
jtstatic
Posted: 12th September 2003 04:20
FL Studio has slicer module. It's the easiest and fastest way of slicing beats I've tried so far, it just simply works. Also the performance is transferred to piano roll instantly for further modification without having to export/import any midi files.
wrench45us
Posted: 12th September 2003 06:58
i don't have a lot to compare to, but i found the slicer in FL to be very easy to use. Sending the splits to the piano roll was an inspired choice of interface. It makes fooling about very easy.
and there wasn't any of that odd endings/beginnings that I somethimes encountered in Cakewalk's Cyclone slicing
Aff
Posted: 12th September 2003 08:02
ModuLR wrote:
BTW, I can understand folk's desire for upgrades. However, I think if a product is great at what it does... sometimes you don't need an upgrade. It just is what it is. Phatmatik falls in that category for me. I just don't see what else a slicer is s'posed to do.

aah, but a bit of inspiration on behalf of the developer, which everyone then tends to follow is enough of a reason to not buy a product that won't be supported in the future for me.

i'm trying to limit my amount of vsts, a slicer is indeed something i want but i'm sure i would be green if i saw phatmatik pro v3 on the mac when i'm still stumbling with the offerings of v.1.

i know what your saying though but i don't think i could live with the fact i couldn't have an equal to the mac. shallow?
Hewitt Huntwork
Posted: 12th September 2003 08:45
I'm afraid AFF has a point. You can't argue that a product needs no further development when its development will continue on one platform and not another. If it truly needed no further development then it wouldn't continue to be developed on ANY platform.
KVR Developer Challenge 2014