What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  
AuthorTopic: Psoft's Void
spaceman
Posted: 1st June 2004 05:43
has anyone been able to download the Void demo on PSoft's website at speeds higher than 1.5Kb without the connection being broken halfway through?

they urgently need a European/US mirror or they will not get many customers around these parts

just to show that the Word Wide Web is anything but world wide.. maybe they should call it HWWW
pschelfh
Posted: 1st June 2004 09:49
I couldn't even manage to surf on their site, it's really that slow! Confused

Peter.
autloc
Posted: 1st June 2004 10:14
the website is no faster in japan, i assure you Crying or Very sad
spoonboiler
Posted: 1st June 2004 10:34
Yeh, it's pretty slow. It really is a shame because they have an amazing piece of gear there, and with work like that put into something they deserve to do well IMHO.
Smile
spaceman
Posted: 1st June 2004 10:43
I finally managed to download the demo..
only took 5 hours on our 10mbit line Laughing
kritikon
Posted: 1st June 2004 12:21
So what does Void actually sound like? It looks interesting, but I've been disappointed by a few modular jobbies - often too much attention paid to weird modules and features at the cost of actual sound quality Rolling Eyes
But it'd be good if void did both - I can hope, eh?

I saw the specs though.....recommended at least 1GHz CPU Shit! (which would leave me exactly 0.1GHz to work everything else I have. Hmmmmmmmmmm. Evil or Very Mad )

So...anyone used it yet?
spaceman
Posted: 1st June 2004 14:31
not too impressed so far, but still early days

sounds a bit harsh to me, but that might change when I learn more about the components
spoonboiler
Posted: 1st June 2004 14:34
OK, that is by far one of the best virtual synths I have ever laid ears on!!! I am gonna start saving right now! I went through every preset, mucked around a little bit, and I am just blown away. The sound is beautiful. The modules cover a nice wide range of normal to exotic, and there is even a built in VA vintage style polysynth that sounds absolutely out of this world, and you can use it just like another module, or by itself, or whatever. If you are going out for a bit, just set you computer to download it, and then when you get back you will be able to try it out. I really think that you will be amazed. I sure am.
Cheerz.
original flipper
Posted: 1st June 2004 14:46
Hi

I demoed this first time around and was similarly
impressed - i thought it simply sounded awesome!

Don't ask me why I haven't bought it - I have liberated myself from several 'Essential' (?) purchases recently - NI Package, Meloman, Vaz ......

Flipper.
spaceman
Posted: 1st June 2004 14:54
well.. I've got the hang of the filters now and I got some remarkably warm sounds out of the thing.. I'm going to give this thing some more time, that's for sure

definitely a big improvement over the previous version, better sound (no more problems with the oscillators either) and it seems easier on the cpu
Sickle666
Posted: 1st June 2004 15:24
heh..I'm on a 1.5mb/sec line & I'm getting 2k/sec :/

It's important to find the humor in all things.

Evil or Very Mad
spaceman
Posted: 1st June 2004 16:13
sickle666 wrote:
heh..I'm on a 1.5mb/sec line & I'm getting 2k/sec :/

It's important to find the humor in all things.

Evil or Very Mad

I asked them to send it over by postal pigeon
bluedad
Posted: 1st June 2004 16:23
good grief, I just saw the price..I'm not even gonna try the demo.
(not bitching about the price, just the state of my credit card balance at the moment)
smart
Posted: 1st June 2004 16:26
I quite liked the last version I tried but the bursts of noise drove me insane after playing with it for a few minutes. I'll try this one out again although I'm sure it's the same. It's quite good sounding though and the gui is cool.
spaceman
Posted: 1st June 2004 16:34
smart wrote:
I quite liked the last version I tried but the bursts of noise drove me insane after playing with it for a few minutes. I'll try this one out again although I'm sure it's the same. It's quite good sounding though and the gui is cool.

same annoying noise I'm afraid..

I don't know if it was my machine or anything (I've got a completely new computer now) but when I tried the previous version I had awful cracking sounds in the oscillator and strange envelope behaviour. at first I though I was just patching the thing wrong but then I read a short review in Computer Music and they mentioned a problem with the oscillators as well

seems to be ok now
MidiSwede
Posted: 1st June 2004 18:20
It took two attempts and about two hours but I got it. Seems they intend to have their server upgraded in a couple weeks. Razz

Been messing with it for a few hours now along with Arturia's MOOG Modular V. With out question VOID comes out on top! Surprised And it costs less than Moog Modular V! I'll have to dig a little deeper and see if my opinion remains the same.

my2sense Smile

Rob
spoonboiler
Posted: 1st June 2004 18:42
I have to agree; I like it much better the MMV. But at the same time, I try to remember that Arturia were trying for something different, in that they were emulating a real vintage modular whereas Psoft are after a customisable and much more modern system that integrates what was so wonderful about the patchable vintage modulars. In a way I don't feel that they are close enough in implimentation to really be comparible.
I wonder if Arturia considered, or might in the future consider, making their modular so that one could choose the modules. That would open up the possibillity of introducing new modules over time, etc. Another idea would be to release an sdk so third parties could make modules... that would be a different product again, but it sure would be an amazing thing! Maybe some company will do it.
Dare to dream, huh? Smile
nb717
Posted: 1st June 2004 19:38
spoonboiler wrote:
I wonder if Arturia considered, or might in the future consider, making their modular so that one could choose the modules. That would open up the possibillity of introducing new modules over time, etc.

You mean kind of like Vaz Modular?
Joxer the Mighty
Posted: 1st June 2004 19:43
Quote:
Another idea would be to release an sdk so third parties could make modules... that would be a different product again, but it sure would be an amazing thing! Maybe some company will do it.
Dare to dream, huh?

There is the excellent Modular III for Creamware with third party modules by Adern. The more virtual modulars, the better. Smile

(Hey! It only took me two minutes to download the demo. Very Happy )
spoonboiler
Posted: 1st June 2004 20:49
db wrote:
spoonboiler wrote:
I wonder if Arturia considered, or might in the future consider, making their modular so that one could choose the modules. That would open up the possibillity of introducing new modules over time, etc.

You mean kind of like Vaz Modular?

Very Happy smartass Razz

Actually, a good point. But I don't like the way that vaz integrates into your host, or rather, fails to fully integrate. Just my taste I guess. Certainly nothing sounds better than vaz, and it is very flexible - I guess I just really find my flow when a soft synth uses the patch-cord approach. That being said, I would probably save up for vaz if it worked as a fully contained plugin. I feel pretty strongly about VOID though, and if I can get the cash together, I really really want it!
nb717
Posted: 1st June 2004 22:18
spoonboiler wrote:
Very Happy smartass Razz

That would be me! Very Happy

Quote:

I don't like the way that vaz integrates into your host, or rather, fails to fully integrate. Just my taste I guess. Certainly nothing sounds better than vaz, and it is very flexible - I guess I just really find my flow when a soft synth uses the patch-cord approach.

The sounds were why I bought VM. I totally agree about the integration. To be charitable, it could most accurately be described as 'unique'. It's like they deliberately went out of their way to use none standard file/patch managers. Aaaarrrggg! Aaaargghhh

You don't give a synth character by using an awkward,
non-standard integration procedures.

But the VM sounds! Gawd! We're not worthy....

As for patch cords, I find the exact opposite to you. I find cords get in the way, obscure your view of the synth and add excessive clutter. Either Vaz Mod's drop down menus or wires in a seperate Builder screen ala Tassman are more to my liking.

Void's interface is too cluttered and small for my setup. I got 2 x 19" monitors for a reason, and I am NOT going back to 1024 x 768 just to use one vsti! Rolling Eyes

I just auditioned the presets, and they are better than the first version of Void. However the overall sound (of the presets) is ok, not outstanding.
It may well be possible to get better sounds out of it by rolling your own. I always figure that the presets are there in a demo to show off what a synth is capable of. None of the Void presets grabbed me and had that 'WOW!' effect. YMMV, whatever works.
Last vsti synth that did that was Symptohm: Melohman,
and I'm eagerly waiting for their MiniMonster. (A Mini Moog with added modern features as only Ohmforce can do.)
kuniklo
Posted: 1st June 2004 22:21
db wrote:

Void's interface is too cluttered and small for my setup. I got 2 x 19" monitors for a reason, and I am NOT going back to 1024 x 768 just to use one vsti! Rolling Eyes

I have the same problem with it. At 1600x1200 it's just too painful. I can barely make out the labels.

Too bad, it looks interesting otherwise.
nb717
Posted: 1st June 2004 22:28
kuniklo wrote:
db wrote:

I have the same problem with it. At 1600x1200 it's just too painful. I can barely make out the labels.

Too bad, it looks interesting otherwise.

I try for a balance between a high refresh rate and readability. I alternate between 1280x1024 and 1600x1200. Usually 1280x1024 since one monitor only has a 60Hz refresh rate at 1600x1200! Rolling Eyes ) Sure wish 19" thinscreens would come way down in price.
MadGav
Posted: 2nd June 2004 02:26
spoonboiler wrote:
I don't like the way that vaz integrates into your host, or rather, fails to fully integrate.

db wrote:
The sounds were why I bought VM. I totally agree about the integration. To be charitable, it could most accurately be described as 'unique'. It's like they deliberately went out of their way to use none standard file/patch managers.

OK guys, how should it work in your opinions?

Martin
dougsyo
Posted: 2nd June 2004 03:44
MadGav wrote:
spoonboiler wrote:
I don't like the way that vaz integrates into your host, or rather, fails to fully integrate.

db wrote:
The sounds were why I bought VM. I totally agree about the integration. To be charitable, it could most accurately be described as 'unique'. It's like they deliberately went out of their way to use none standard file/patch managers.

I looked at Vaz 2010, and remember how much it reminded me of Absynth 1 - where there was a stub that sat in the host, and the "Absynth engine" launched as a separate program. With my host taking a good chunk of the screen, having a separate application that I have to swap back and forth with the host is less than ideal. I'm assuming that VazMod works similarly.

It hasn't stopped me from looking at VazMod though, I just dl'd the newest demo version Smile

Doug
MadGav
Posted: 2nd June 2004 03:59
dougsyo wrote:
I looked at Vaz 2010, and remember how much it reminded me of Absynth 1 - where there was a stub that sat in the host, and the "Absynth engine" launched as a separate program. With my host taking a good chunk of the screen, having a separate application that I have to swap back and forth with the host is less than ideal. I'm assuming that VazMod works similarly.

Actually, no! The VazMod main window can be shown inside the host as with a normal plugin, though there's also the option for a separate window as before.

Martin
dougsyo
Posted: 2nd June 2004 06:48
MadGav wrote:
dougsyo wrote:

Actually, no! The VazMod main window can be shown inside the host as with a normal plugin, though there's also the option for a separate window as before.

Guess I best install that demo Very Happy

Actually, I can see a use for the separate window - some hosts (FLS in particular) can't use dual monitors, but I'll bet the separate application window can sit on the 2nd screen.

Will this change be made to 2010 as well?

Doug
MadGav
Posted: 2nd June 2004 06:54
dougsyo wrote:
Actually, I can see a use for the separate window - some hosts (FLS in particular) can't use dual monitors, but I'll bet the separate application window can sit on the 2nd screen.

I believe so, yes.

dougsyo wrote:
Will this change be made to 2010 as well?

It will certainly be in the next major release.

Martin
nb717
Posted: 2nd June 2004 10:22
MadGav wrote:
spoonboiler wrote:

db wrote:

Martin

Have a look at either rgcaudio's z3ta+ or Linplug Albino 2 as examples of non-awkward bank/patch loading and saving. Try them out, that's the best way.
eco
Posted: 2nd June 2004 10:45
Hi, I just downloaded void and I like it.

"Void's interface is too cluttered and small for my setup. I got 2 x 19" monitors for a reason, and I am NOT going back to 1024 x 768 just to use one"

Well, two years ago I had an accident and my eyes were shot. Luckily when I came home and installed XP professional there is a programme called 'magnifier' which is great. Just try it and see, I use it all the time now and its a valuable thing Cool
nb717
Posted: 2nd June 2004 10:50
eco wrote:
Hi, I just downloaded void and I like it.

"Void's interface is too cluttered and small for my setup. I got 2 x 19" monitors for a reason, and I am NOT going back to 1024 x 768 just to use one"

Well, two years ago I had an accident and my eyes were shot. Luckily when I came home and installed XP professional there is a programme called magnifier which is great. Just try it and see, I use it all the time now and its a valuable thing Cool

Tried it, don't like it. The screen sliding around makes me sea sick! Aaaargghhh
estwing
Posted: 2nd June 2004 11:29
db wrote

AHave a look at either rgcaudio's z3ta+ or Linplug lbino 2 as examples of non-awkward bank/patch loading and saving. Try them out, that's the best way.[/quote]

whats difficult about Vaz patch loading ?
click File
click Open patch
and there they are! organised in folders by type, song, synth etc. infact any way you choose.

personally I prefer this ,try loading then finding a ver 1.3 preset in z3ta+ when you currently have ver 1.4 presets open.
shamann
Posted: 2nd June 2004 11:32
db wrote:
Have a look at either rgcaudio's z3ta+ or Linplug Albino 2 as examples of non-awkward bank/patch loading and saving. Try them out, that's the best way.

I'm not sure that would be the best way to go for VAZMod. The two synths you mention are designed as VSTs first, and as such bank and program conform to the VST spec's use of the terms (banks are collections of programs), whereas a bank in VAZ implies a collection of up to 16 synth instances at once, assigned to different channels. And the patches are stored in the bank, so that means you could have unlimited different versions of any given synth patch in countless bank files. I just don't think the two concepts mesh well.

I also wouldn't be surprised if many VAZMod users tend to use it as a standalone, like a workstation synth rather than rackmount voice bank.

I agree, though, that it would be interesting to have some kind of GUI-based patch browsing function.

Cheers,
Steve
nb717
Posted: 2nd June 2004 11:57
estwing wrote:
db wrote

AHave a look at either rgcaudio's z3ta+ or Linplug lbino 2 as examples of non-awkward bank/patch loading and saving. Try them out, that's the best way.

whats difficult about Vaz patch loading ?
click File
click Open patch
and there they are! organised in folders by type, song, synth etc. infact any way you choose.
[/quote]

I'm talking about all the file and patch functions, not just file loading.

Albino2 puts both bank and presets right in front of you, just one mouse click away. Plus it has the forward/back arrows and a load function.

YMMV. For my part, discussion over. Bye!
nb717
Posted: 2nd June 2004 12:00
[quote="shamann"]
db wrote:

I agree, though, that it would be interesting to have some kind of GUI-based patch browsing function.

The ideal situation is to incorporate different file access methods and let the user decide which to use.
Sort of like making a prog. keyboard AND mouse centric, depending on your preferences.

That is the mark of a well designed program. Smile
DevonB
Posted: 2nd June 2004 12:13
Their server seems to be doing better. On T3's, I got 93k a second for the demo.

Devon
MickGael
Posted: 2nd June 2004 12:35
When loading, I get a string of errors:

SOC.xxx() - failed

Eventually, you can generate sound, but those error messages will prevent me from loading on my main machine and really checking it out...
spoonboiler
Posted: 2nd June 2004 12:51
MadGav:
As I said, vaz sounds the best, hands down. Also, I did not know that you could choose between seperate window and internal window. I don't own it, so my experience is limited, but knowing that there is that option makes it more appealing to me. I am afraid it's a little out of my price range at the moment though. Pretty much everything is.
One thing you have to understand is that, as I tried to point out, the patch cord and knobs scenario works for me in a way that dropdown menus don't; but that is just personal preference. I think I probably should retract part of my earlier statement though, because re-reading it, I realized it sounds more like a statement of fact rather than opinion; also, now that I know there is the option of an internal window, my original statement doesn't make a lot of sense! Oh, well. Don't worry about what interface I like better, there are thousands that like it the other way instead. VAZ is one of the most universally praised apps around. You got nothing to worry about from someone who doesn't even own the program.
Cheerz.
Anyway, back on topic: now that server is working better, you owe it to yourself to check out VOID!
Very Happy