Electric guitar?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

...Obviously :)

http://www.xhun-audio.com/site/xhun.php?page=ironaxe

IronAxe - Physical Modeled Electric Guitar. For the riffs/phrases purpose, take a look to the KeyStrummer engine (included within the plugin).

Sorry for the self-promotion, but it is pertinent :)
bruno @ Xhun Audio || www.xhun-audio.com || Twitter || Instagram

Xhun's Iron Axe has immense potential. I hope to see a x64 Native version soon.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

vmetal couples really well with amp sims. If you buy promniy, you can get the midi files and amp sim presets of there demos.
Monkberry, In another thread, someone mentioned the same problem with high note samples.
He found the electrics in the ikmultimedia expansion guitar expansion tank had the best high note samples.
Thanks Uncle E, off to check out your site.

I think on guitar emulation, acoustic strums are, perhaps, the hardest to get sounding realistic. Kontakt's AKKORD gets there, but those are actual strum recordings (over 3,000 unique samples covering most chord types in the original version) coupled with some clever scripting.

There are also some gorgeous sounding acoustic sample instruments out there, though getting strums right on these is tricky, at best. IMHO, the outstanding ones are from Pettinhouse and Orange Tree. And extra kudos to Orange Tree for their original slide instrument. I don't know of any other instrument that captures the realism of this type of intonation.

Finally, almost every ROMpler out there today has a convincing, track ready, nylon and/or steel lead sound. Naked or backed with strings or a pad, these can really stand in for the real thing if played properly.

On the electric lead side of things, there's a different story altogether. I'm going to take a lot of heat for this, but with real contemporary electric guitar playing, electronics and FX have become so sophisticated that it really overshadows much of the nuance of any "tone" of the actual instrument. I know that enthusiasts swear that this particular wood gives better tone, or that the acoustic properties of the materials used overall makes a big difference in the sound. But realistically, once the signal goes through the pickups (which, frankly, are probably the most important part of shaping the sound) all the effects kick in, and you won't detect much, if any, nuance derived from the wood, the pick or the fretboard.

Which is why, if you are trying to create a spectacular modern electric lead sound in the box, you really don't need much more than a great rack of effects (pick one, they're all good: Revalver, GR, AT3, P&M, etc.) and a sine wave.

I first heard this done years ago on an Ensonic ASR10. At the time (early '90's) the ASR10 boasted the most convincing lead guitar emulation with one of their throw away demo patches. But the patch itself took up no memory. Reason? Because the trigger sound was a very short, unremarkable, sine sample. But the ASR10 has a killer FX rack which turned that trigger into a fat-sounding bad boy. That demo patch sill holds up today, btw.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Good points BERFAB, There are some cool guitar patches in the Kurzweil K2000 series aswell.
a Kurzweil K2000 patch designer said many of the distorted ones where actually things like heavily distorted and detuned trombone samples.

Return to “Instruments”