Oh yeah? EMULATE THIS!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Chromaphone 1 Kaivo Strum Acoustic GS-1 Strum Electric GS-1

I love electronic instruments and software so much, but every now and then I realize how totally ineffective they are at expressing the types of sounds this guy can make with ease.

http://www.mnoriginal.org/episode/509-s ... l-metzger/
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I admire his Spirit for it is the Soul of Music...........but desire to Emulate the sounds he creates ? No.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:I admire his Spirit for it is the Soul of Music...........but desire to Emulate the sounds he creates ? No.

+1 ew yuck. acoustic instruments sound like shit.

We need more people like this dude, in all walks of music.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

The part he says at 3:10 explains it: "I want it to be what it is; very honest." There's a certain reality to the resonance and the physicality of a real instrument, how it moves the air, how it varies with small changes in the playing, that can't be fully emulated.

I just look at physical instruments as basically plugins that use the universe as a sort of cloud computer to calculate their output. Free CPU cycles! Free antialiasing! :hihi:
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Although the A/D converters can be a bit screwy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychoacoustics

I like these crazyness! :D

Sendy wrote:I just look at physical instruments as basically plugins that use the universe as a sort of cloud computer to calculate their output. Free CPU cycles! Free antialiasing! :hihi:
[8]
Everything's spinning.

Teksonik wrote:I admire his Spirit for it is the Soul of Music...........but desire to Emulate the sounds he creates ? No.
Because you don't think they should be emulated or you don't like them?
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

:tu:
Sendy wrote:We need more people like this dude, in all walks of music.
Zerocrossing Media

nineofkings wrote:The part he says at 3:10 explains it: "I want it to be what it is; very honest." There's a certain reality to the resonance and the physicality of a real instrument, how it moves the air, how it varies with small changes in the playing, that can't be fully emulated.
The quote should be "can't yet be fully emulated." I fully believe that physical modeling is still in it's infancy. As algorithms become more sophisticated and computers faster, we'll inch closer to be able to fully emulate chaotic acoustic systems, just like we're getting close to emulating analog synthesizers now.

The question is, will humans, myself include, be able to give up the love for objects? I was nearly physically sick for a month after I traded an electric guitar for a newer more sophisticated model. (G&L Skyhawk {stratocaster style] for a Floyd Rose equipped Ibanez) The Ibanez was a more "perfect" guitar in many ways, but while I thought I would like it more for that, I actually hated it. Luckily the shop hadn't sold my trade-in and I was able to trade it back... for a $100 fee. Best $100 lesson I ever bought. Not only was my G&L a more "characterful" instrument but I purchased it at a crucial time in my life. I had just left high school to go to an audio engineering school and pursue a career in audio engineering and as a musician. I went to the shop (Alex's Music in NYC) with the girl I lost my virginity with. Now that can't be emulated. :hyper: That instrument has a special "juju" that I've bestowed to it and I either think that I'm too old and set in my ways to believe that I'll ever feel that way about a piece of software, or that humans don't attach themselves to software in the same way.
Zerocrossing Media

zerocrossing wrote:
nineofkings wrote:The part he says at 3:10 explains it: "I want it to be what it is; very honest." There's a certain reality to the resonance and the physicality of a real instrument, how it moves the air, how it varies with small changes in the playing, that can't be fully emulated.
The quote should be "can't yet be fully emulated." I fully believe that physical modeling is still in it's infancy. As algorithms become more sophisticated and computers faster, we'll inch closer to be able to fully emulate chaotic acoustic systems, just like we're getting close to emulating analog synthesizers now.
To emulate something fully you need to take into account anything that can happen to an instrument. But you also have the opportunities to take out things that are less desirable, such as fret buzz or bumps. For some people, that's going to be part of their playing style. For them, there is always the physical instrument.

We get too hung up on emulation. I'm happy with synthetic instruments as long as they keep improving in terms of articulation. For the rest of the sound, there is always the darn plank of wood and strings.

Really nice, I did not know this guy, loved the video, thanks for sharing!

I guess to me emulating is not my goal, at all. If I want salt I put salt, if I want pepper I put pepper, I don't expect the salt to make a "pretty good pepper emulation". Tastes, decisions, that is what creation is about to me. This guy seems to have that pretty much sorted out!

Have a good day!

I got a couple of his earlier albums released on Locust Music.

Forgotten completely about this chap in recent years though - cheers for reminding me!
Q. Why is a mouse when it spins?
A. The higher the fewer.

Return to “Instruments”