Synclavier Soft synth/emulators?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Im interested in finding a VSTi that resembles the synclavier sounds. Really warm analogue sounds. beautiful timbres....

Synclavier?? analogue??

Do these two things belong in the same sentence?
Houston Haynes

RubberJohnny wrote:Im interested in finding a VSTi that resembles the synclavier sounds. Really warm analogue sounds. beautiful timbres....
Hint: The Synclavier was manufactured by New England Digital. It was really all about the sampling. It had FM built in too, but from what I've heard you'd be better off with a DX7 for that.

Plenty of VSTis mix synthesis (FM and others) with sampling very nicely. Absynth, Rhino and Wusikstation will all do it.

Est. Value - $1,000 - $200,000 :cry:

It would be nice if KVR would have an online museum to remind us as to how far we have came in just a few years.

thats an OK idea but it was mostly a sampler.

A better Idea:
Software emulation of the
E-mu Audity

Since there was only 1 ever made this would give everyone else a chance to use it!

It won't be long now before someone wants a plugin that gives sound the "Soundblaster flair" :D

oh yeah.
and i would kill for a software version of:
- crumar spirit
- elka synthex
- synton syrinx
- gleeman pentaphonic

as they are impossible to find...
Kontort

There is a Reaktor ensemble that emulates the synthex...

OK - don't get me wrong... the Synclavier was/is an amazing instrument. I think that chiding someone for wanting an emulation by comparing it to a Soundblaster is nonsense. It would be like talking down to someone looking for a vintage 1960's Jaguar by telling them it's the same as an original VW bug... not fair and - well - just not right. ;)

If you look around, you'll find plenty of synth museum sites tht discuss its impact on modern synthesis. There are several people from the venerable New England Digital that are still active in the industry today - and some of you might have some NED refugee's more recent gear in your studio...

...and from what little I know, the intellectual property for the Synclavier is still owned by one individual who was reported to have plans to do *not* just an emulation, but a full port of the Synclavier software to the Mac - that was as far back as 2001 (I know, ancient history to some of you). Do some Google searching on it and you'll be about as familiar with it as I am in about an hour's worth of reading.

Anyway, my jab was at the idea of the Syclavier being "analogue" - but it did have a very distinctive sound - and there was some incredible music made with it, and it's probably still got a few high-level adherents out there somewhere using the original.
Houston Haynes

Yeah the synclavier was great instrument and actually a complete digital system with scoring as well.

I am still trying find the right softsynth instrument that get's Lyle Mays' Synclavier harmonica sound from Are you going with me. Even Squids can find it.

Beardedone wrote:Yeah the synclavier was great instrument and actually a complete digital system with scoring as well.

I am still trying find the right softsynth instrument that get's Lyle Mays' Synclavier harmonica sound from Are you going with me. Even Squids can find it.
let's not forget the FZ work w/ the synclavier ... :wink:

g-spot tornado ... :love: :love: :love:

I used to use the 'veer a lot. To call it mainly a sampler is to know nothing about it. The resynthesis was awesome only equalled by the doomed Axel, and tibre frame morphing is like nothing else youve ever heard. Almost 100% of 'veers ever made are still in use. It is still a sound designers dream. Timbre frame interpolation yields sounds only possible with a NED system. Most big film still feature NED either as hardware or samples.

Beardedone wrote:
Yeah the synclavier was great instrument and actually a complete digital system with scoring as well.

let's not forget the FZ work w/ the synclavier ...

g-spot tornado ...

--
So true! Jazz From Hell sure turned my head around. When I first heard that I was completely floored (or maybe fluored :oops: ) wondering how it was done.

Cheers,
Gordon

Every time i thought I finally spotted a Synclavier sound in some Depeche Mode productions, it turned out to be the ARP2600... again... :cry:

:hihi:

such a synclavier-vsti would be interesting. what are the exact specs of synclavier fm in terms of algorithms and amount of operators?

HHaynes wrote:Synclavier?? analogue??

Do these two things belong in the same sentence?
this Rubber dude is obviously a newbie to all things music..so, don't pick on him..he's prolly seen some rewiew or some of his favorit artis has mentioned the synclavier..and also, all kids talk about "analog" but they have no idea what an analog synth is..so exuse him and the rest of his young ilk..they'll grow up one day! :D

Return to “Instruments”