East West Hardcore bass, Broomstick Bass and any bass VSTi

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I own broomstick bass & trilogy and trilogy is certainly the one to go for......

Most of the Basses we sampled from Trilogy were drop tuned all the way down to Low A actually.

4, 5 and 6 string basses and many models.

I'd strongly recommend using an amp simulator with Trilogy for metal/hard rock though...because the Trilogy Basses are recorded direct. You can get great rock bass tones this way with things like Amplitube and Guitar Rig, etc.

Here's a couple of Trilogy rock tunes that were done this way:

http://www.spectrasonics.net/instrument ... _Rage.html

http://www.spectrasonics.net/instrument ... _Fire.html

Hope that's helpful! :-)

Trilogy seems kinda dear and only 1 distributor here in Australia...who barely has any decent retail shops. I'm really into nue metal/hardrock stuff. The extra bass synth stuff seems a bit redundant.

Whereas for Hardcore Bass, the official forum seems to be extremely quiet. Either nobody has any problems or/and nobody is sharing their tips.

Oh by the way, I found out that HardCore Bass (first release) uses all 5-string bass. Which meet my requirements of a DROP-C sound.
Most of the Basses we sampled from Trilogy were drop tuned all the way down to Low A actually.
- spectrum
Can anyone pls tell me what sort of bass were modelled with? Brands of the 5-string guitar(s)?
Warm regards,
- Jess
Win XP SP2
Cubase SX 3.1.1

Also, one last question...will a velocity sensitive MIDI controller keyboard helps in playing a vitual bass (like some string is plucked harder than the rest...humanisation ya know).

My current old Yamaha has only one velocity. This may cause the bass to sound stiff??
Warm regards,
- Jess
Win XP SP2
Cubase SX 3.1.1

Yes....velocity sensitivity is very important.

Trilogy's Five String Basses are Music Man.

Did you listen to the above demo links? It's pretty clear that Trilogy can rock pretty hard with an Amp simulator.

It's available through quite a few shops in Australia actually...of course we only have one distributor for the country...that's pretty normal.

HCB is a nice product too...especially for Rock. Trilogy is just a lot more versatile for all types of music...including NuMetal, etc.l

Left Headphone wrote:Has anyone tried Liquid Bass?...
http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/det ... =UE-0205-1
A quick look concludes that this may not suit me as I'm aftering a drop C sound (those modelled bass guitars have standard 4-string...unlikely they would down tune that low)

Thanks, anyway.
Warm regards,
- Jess
Win XP SP2
Cubase SX 3.1.1

spectrum wrote:Yes....velocity sensitivity is very important.
Hmmm, I may have to obtain a velocity sensitive keyboard. My current keyboard plays only 1 velocity whether I whack it hard or do a soft touch :(
spectrum wrote: Trilogy's Five String Basses are Music Man.

Did you listen to the above demo links? It's pretty clear that Trilogy can rock pretty hard with an Amp simulator.

It's available through quite a few shops in Australia actually...of course we only have one distributor for the country...that's pretty normal.

HCB is a nice product too...especially for Rock. Trilogy is just a lot more versatile for all types of music...including NuMetal, etc.l

Yes, I did. But, really what sort of role will an Amp simulator do(I've got a demo version of NI Guitar Rig) for electric bass, anyway. Any best practice you could share on any effects used?

If you know of any Trilogy retail shops down here in Melbourne, please let me know.
Warm regards,
- Jess
Win XP SP2
Cubase SX 3.1.1

jess123 wrote:But, really what sort of role will an Amp simulator do (I've got a demo version of NI Guitar Rig) for electric bass, anyway. Any best practice you could share on any effects used?
Rock Bass is almost always recorded mic'ed from a Bass cabinet, instead of from a DI box. Trilogy's basses are all sampled DI, so you can add an Amp/Speaker modeller later for Rock use...this is a very flexible approach.

Just experiment with different speaker cabinets and heads...it's more about the effect of the speaker than about heavy distortion.
If you know of any Trilogy retail shops down here in Melbourne, please let me know.
Give Sue at Sonic Virtual Media a call or email, and she can direct you to the closest retail shop to you in Melbourne:

Sonic Virtual Media
2/126 Shirley Rd
Crows Nest NSW 2065
Phone / Fax (612) 9439-6839
http://www.svmedia.com.au
sales@svmedia.com.au

spectrum wrote: Rock Bass is almost always recorded mic'ed from a Bass cabinet, instead of from a DI box. Trilogy's basses are all sampled DI, so you can add an Amp/Speaker modeller later for Rock use...this is a very flexible approach.

Just experiment with different speaker cabinets and heads...it's more about the effect of the speaker than about heavy distortion.
Oh, I see. By the way, what's DI box? You reckon Hardcore Bass is built the same way?

From your experience, is NI Guitar Rig or Amplitube better? For nue metal/hardrock stuff (for both guitars and bass)
spectrum wrote: Give Sue at Sonic Virtual Media a call or email, and she can direct you to the closest retail shop to you in Melbourne:

Sonic Virtual Media
2/126 Shirley Rd
Crows Nest NSW 2065
Phone / Fax (612) 9439-6839
http://www.svmedia.com.au
sales@svmedia.com.au
I already did this yesterday. Thanks, anyway. Public holiday over at NSW today.
Warm regards,
- Jess
Win XP SP2
Cubase SX 3.1.1

jess123 wrote: Oh, I see. By the way, what's DI box?
It's a "Direct Injection" recording interface box that Bass Players use in the studio to bring the level and impedence of the bass guitar directly to a console level. They generally sound very clean.
You reckon Hardcore Bass is built the same way?
No...it's a different approach. They sampled the Bass through the real Ampeg Amps. It's very authentic sounding right out of the box, but a little less flexible, because you can't control the Amp settings that way.
From your experience, is NI Guitar Rig or Amplitube better? For nue metal/hardrock stuff (for both guitars and bass)
I've had very good results with Amplitube for Bass. For Guitar, that's such a subjective thing....you'd have to try them yourself and make your own decision.

In the example Trilogy demos above, Sage Rage was done with Guitar Rig and the other one with Amplitube.

I'm sure IK's upcoming Ampeg Bass Amp plug-ins will be really amazing with Trilogy....not sure when they will be available.

"Ampeg SVX Bass is expected to be released within the summer of 2005"

Thank you very much for your help and all who has contributed to this topic!
Warm regards,
- Jess
Win XP SP2
Cubase SX 3.1.1

I would thought this topic has ended, but...

Trilogy has this nice feature http://www.spectrasonics.net/instrument ... _demo.html
In summary, it helps easily produce down and up stroke bass pick sound (by playing 3 octave lower in the keyboard). That sounds real and humanized! Also, it has the staccato and sustain playing to emulate a typical bassist's hand. Sounds real to the max!

Was wondering whether is this easy to do in EW Hardcore Bass?
Warm regards,
- Jess
Win XP SP2
Cubase SX 3.1.1

you should check the bass at www.wizoosounds.com
this is really great stuff and you can download separate instruments (very detailed with all playing techniqques, several hundred megs) for just 30 bucks.

but you need a sampler

akj

jess123 wrote:I would thought this topic has ended, but...

Trilogy has this nice feature http://www.spectrasonics.net/instrument ... _demo.html
In summary, it helps easily produce down and up stroke bass pick sound (by playing 3 octave lower in the keyboard). That sounds real and humanized! Also, it has the staccato and sustain playing to emulate a typical bassist's hand. Sounds real to the max!

Was wondering whether is this easy to do in EW Hardcore Bass?
As far as I know, Trilogy is the only VSTi to feature this, and I agree; it's a deal-maker.

Return to “Instruments”