Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

LiveSlice is out now

munchkin
KVRAF

2358 posts since 12 Oct, 2002, from Terra Firma

Postby munchkin; Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:31 pm

Can you output slices to different outputs? For example run all the kick slices to output 1 and EQ/compress them while all the hihat slices go to output 2 for seperate EQing and a bit of verb? I've always wanted to cut a loop up and effect the slices in different ways.
R.A.W.
KVRian

1263 posts since 15 Jun, 2004, from hamburg

Postby R.A.W.; Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:57 pm

munchkin wrote:Can you output slices to different outputs?
yes, you can.
just click on the button "outputs" in the slicer section. you'll get boxes on every slice each representing one stereo-out. so outs depend on the slices, not the arrangement, which gives you the freedom of totally rearranging and still having certain slices (e.g. bassdrums) going to one dedicated out.
ohm
KVRAF

1520 posts since 2 Jul, 2004

Postby ohm; Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:20 am

Is it possible to use LiveSlice in ACID 5

yes, I just did (in the demo of acid music studio). Just add it as a soft synth, create midi track and route the midi from that track to liveslice (you probably figured that part out)
Now to automate the parameters of liveslice you need to use the midi CC automation and NOT the parameter envelopes. The CC automation is right below the piano when you edit the track (where it initially says "velocity"). Instead of velocity select any CC from the list of "all continuous controllers", try CC# 1 it's configured to control the pitch of all slices in track 1 of arrangement 1 pr. default.

ACID music studio does not support midi out from plugins, perhaps ACID pro does? If not I suggest downloading plogue bidule, a modular host that loads as a vst plugin. It's available as a free public beta atm. Alternatively go buy energy xt - a brilliant modular host that also loads as a plugin, and fully supports all the advanced features of liveslice. It costs only 50 bucks - it's like having the tracktion rack filters in every host.
http://www.livelab.dk - slice up your life
Sascha Franck
KVRAF

12411 posts since 13 Nov, 2000, from Hannover / Germany

Postby Sascha Franck; Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:32 am

ohm, those demos look freaking damn amazing!
I'll give the demo version a try.
Btw, if I'd desire, could I work, say "MicroDicer/Phatmatik style"? As in slicing a loop and dragging some corresponding MIDI file into my host? Didn't seen that mentioned.
Also, is there some "export slices" option?

Ah well, guess I'll just give the demo a shoot later on.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.
ohm
KVRAF

Postby ohm; Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:38 am

Midi and Audio export is not yet implemented, but it's on the list.
You can, however slice a loop and trigger individual slices via midi notes. I've worked that way in one track, using the liveslice sequencer and a piano roll simultaniously - always good for creativity to change your workflow once in a while. But don't you feel kind'a blindfolded when arranging a beat in a piano roll? Perhaps it's just me :)
Sascha Franck
KVRAF

12411 posts since 13 Nov, 2000, from Hannover / Germany

Postby Sascha Franck; Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:03 am

ohm wrote: But don't you feel kind'a blindfolded when arranging a beat in a piano roll? Perhaps it's just me :)

It depends, I'm used to it.
And of course it does make sense on rearranging sliced loops using your sequencers features (you know, there's nothing out there beating Logics quantize and such...).
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.
Caleb
KVRAF

4713 posts since 6 Sep, 2001, from Melbourne, Australia

Postby Caleb; Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:52 am

ohm wrote:Midi and Audio export is not yet implemented, but it's on the list.
You can, however slice a loop and trigger individual slices via midi notes. I've worked that way in one track, using the liveslice sequencer and a piano roll simultaniously - always good for creativity to change your workflow once in a while. But don't you feel kind'a blindfolded when arranging a beat in a piano roll? Perhaps it's just me :)

Actually, that seems to be to be the distinctive differece between this and other beatslicers. However, I haven't determined if that's reason enough to get it.

It's easier in some ways to work with a piano roll when reprogramming beats etc. because that's where you usually program beats. :)

I agree about the blindfolded comment, but on the other hand, I felt kinda blindfolded using Live Slice too, but for a different reason, I found it a bit more awkward to program different rhythms because I didn't have the piano roll to use as a guide. :hihi:

I do like the arrangement idea of applying keys to different "arrangements", but I can already do that in EnergyXT with a Midi Component or similar so it doesn't quite have the pulling power.

Also, I imagined originally that the concept was going to be rearranging slices from multiple audio files into any combination in your own loops. So when I found that I was stuck using one imported loop again I was struggling to see enough benefit over existing slicers, especially in a tool such as EnergyXT.

I see you already have an update where you are importing ACIDised loops. What benefit does this have? Sorry for the daft question, but I don't know much about ACID or its loop format.

I'm not really dissing the product as it seems quite nice to have all of this on one interface and maybe I'll see more benefits over my current tools the more I play with it. Some ideas like reverse-per-slice for example looks pretty cool.

Caleb
Happiness is the hidden behind the obvious.
ohm
KVRAF

Postby ohm; Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:02 am

Also, I imagined originally that the concept was going to be rearranging slices from multiple audio files into any combination in your own loops.

that's certainly possible with liveslice, above the browser is a list of 64 loops, most of them empty, simply select a different "slot" when loading a wave file and it will not replace the already loaded loop.

I'll do this automatically in the next version as a lot of people are confused that it replaces the existing loop pr. default.

ACIDized loop import is good if you own a slicer that exports in that format and you'd like to import your sliced loops. Also export will be added to the next version so you can save slices within audio files.

Still not convinced? Play around with the different parameters like attack / decay / release and you'll se how powerfull it is to have them available directly in the arranger.

Btw. your comment about the lack of guides in the arranger tracks has been noted - I'll add some beat / subbeat markers so you can see where you are. While arranging.

- join the liveslice mission today, slice up your life
Caleb
KVRAF

Postby Caleb; Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:25 am

ohm wrote:that's certainly possible with liveslice, above the browser is a list of 64 loops, most of them empty, simply select a different "slot" when loading a wave file and it will not replace the already loaded loop.

Aha! Great.

1 step closer.
If nothing else, it becomes a quick kit maker from different loops. :)

I've been doing a bit of messing around with loops lately which is why I have some interest.

Would like to see a decent zoom function - eg click on a button and the original loop fills the screen for pinpoint editing of slices.

Also - I'd like to be able to playback the original loop. Is this possible at the moment? It doesn't seem so for some reason - and how do you delete slice markers from the original loop.

Caleb
ohm
KVRAF

Postby ohm; Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:35 am

you can preview a wavefile by right clicking, but you are right - you should be able to preview the loaded loops too - added.

Zoom is on the list - not sure exacly what you mean by the "click on a button" part, you mean easily
zoom in on one slice and zoom back out? I could do mousewheel for that, too bad though that energy XT doesn't support mousewheel to plugins yet. Middle mouse could do a fixed zoom in / out toggle.

you delete slice markers by CTRL + right clicking them, it's in the manual, but I probably should make these basic things more directly available, I'll look at it. There's always room for improvement.

- Jacob
R.A.W.
KVRian

Postby R.A.W.; Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:02 am

Caleb wrote:
ohm wrote:..But don't you feel kind'a blindfolded when arranging a beat in a piano roll? Perhaps it's just me :)

Actually, that seems to be to be the distinctive differece between this and other beatslicers. However, I haven't determined if that's reason enough to get it.

well, imo liveslice is the perfect tool to rearrange all kind of samples (not only beats ;)) fast and easy in one view. this makes it superior to other slicing-tools when you use it live. the important functions are easy to access with only one or two clicks or by using the fully customizable midi-routing without changing views all the time. if you like you can go deeper into it's capabilities and make real complex arrangements. using the piano-roll or whatever other hosts provide might be the favourite way to program sounds when you're in the studio (which can be accomplished with liveslice as well), but live i prefer to have direct access through the gui and liveslice provides that just how i want it. ;)
these are at least for me the differences that make this the perfect slicer for my needs.
TonyBy
KVRist

116 posts since 4 Mar, 2003, from Herts. UK

Postby TonyBy; Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:27 pm

Very interesting plugin.

A couple of questions - I've been trying the demo, and it seems stereo loops get merged to mono ?? (may have been my mistake - wasn't at my daw!!) - I read the manual, and it said any uncompressed audio file was good - but didn't mention stereo/mono.

About 1/4 of the loops I try come thru with the wrong number of slices in the arranger.
Seems my older loops all work OK - but many of a recently purchased (expensive) loop CD library come up with 8 in the bottom display, but 16 in the top display. (Stereo/mono wasn't the culprit here..)

Right click on loop in browser doesn't give a preview on the PC I was trying it on (everything else made a noise ok) - bug in the demo maybe ??
Sorry if I missed this in the thread - but how long does the intro price hold for ?
Thanks for a very useable demo.
R.A.W.
KVRian

Postby R.A.W.; Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:36 pm

hi tony
TonyBy wrote:I've been trying the demo, and it seems stereo loops get merged to mono ??
no, stereo works just fine here.. don't get fooled by the visual, you'll only see one wave though it's stereo. ;)

TonyBy wrote:About 1/4 of the loops I try come thru with the wrong number of slices in the arranger.
it states in the manual that beats-prediction also uses the current tempo of your host. so if you got a 70bpm loop but the host is set to 120bpm it might calculate wrong. also samples with few transients (pad-sounds etc.) make a correct calculation almost impossible. ;) just use right-click on the box and select the right number of beats and/or slices yourself or use the sensitivity-slider when that happens.

TonyBy wrote:Right click on loop in browser doesn't give a preview on the PC I was trying it on (everything else made a noise ok) - bug in the demo maybe ??
this indeed is a bug in the latest build, i could reproduce it here.. i already emailed jacob about it.

TonyBy wrote:Sorry if I missed this in the thread - but how long does the intro price hold for ?
Thanks for a very useable demo.
the offer is valid until Nov. 20th.

you also can find information in the livelab.dk forum here at kvr.
Caleb
KVRAF

Postby Caleb; Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:13 pm

I've found some other things that are pretty impressive. The probability-per-slice is quite an interesting piece of functionality. I like the randomise range to.

Additionally, I found the Settings button and that has some very interesting controls including triggering a complete randomisation of a given arrangement that snaps back to the original arrangement when you release the key.

I can see why people like this for live work.

What I meant about click-zooming, was that the original wave file view (whole view not slice) could be "undocked" from the instrument and blown up like a full-on sample editor window. For an example of what I mean, try out the VSampler3 demo.

It's probably not something you'll want to add in, but I thought I'd suggest it anyway. I hate moving markers around with pinpoint accuracy using anything less than a giant display of the waveform. :)

It's why VSampler3 is my beatslicer of choice for many tasks - although it's not perfect.

Seeing as you've already looked at ACIDised loops, are you planning to build in a REX playback engine at all? I'm not desperate for it - just curious really.

I still find this a bit fiddly to use in comparison to composing with a normal beatslicer in a piano roll. I just need to get my head around exactly what I'm finding awkward about it.

Caleb
drez
KVRian

600 posts since 22 Jan, 2003, from Dallas, TX

Postby drez; Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:27 pm

Ya got my money! Hoping to play with it more tonight. Great slicer, Jacob!
-="I beat the Internet...the end guy is hard"=-
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments