Isn't Hexter awesome?!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Rock wrote:
Ildon wrote:
gizmo wrote:I'm especially loving this as I'm experiencing that extended cash-flow crisis called self-employment. :D
Welcome to the club! 8)
Ditto
We have a quorum! :)

I haven't aquired and DX7 patches for it yet, but thusfar Hexter is obviating my desire for either FM7 or a used DX.

Checkout some of the leslie / hammond organ patches. They sound so good, it's hard to believe.

This page describes the basic DX-7 patches with mp3 examples.

http://www.synthmania.com/dx7.htm

wildzeke wrote:This page describes the basic DX-7 patches with mp3 examples.

http://www.synthmania.com/dx7.htm
That actually does sound almost exactly like Hexter.

here's a great article from the dave benson page.It's a reprint from keyboard mag with dx7 wiz bo tomlyn.
If you ever run across a copy of 'the complete dx7' by howard massey, get it!

loaded some of conrardy's banks, WHAT A BUNCH OF CPU HOGS!
que pasa with that?!

politcat wrote:loaded some of conrardy's banks, WHAT A BUNCH OF CPU HOGS!
que pasa with that?!
Long release times do that. Remember those are hardware patches, and on a real DX7 you don't have to worry about CPU time.

Also in the hardware days, reverb wasn't a matter of just firing up another instance of a plugin, so long release times were a common substitute :)

It sounds good i will DL the evening

foosnark wrote:
politcat wrote:loaded some of conrardy's banks, WHAT A BUNCH OF CPU HOGS!
que pasa with that?!
Long release times do that. Remember those are hardware patches, and on a real DX7 you don't have to worry about CPU time.

Also in the hardware days, reverb wasn't a matter of just firing up another instance of a plugin, so long release times were a common substitute :)
Are long release times a good substitute for reverb in your opinion ?

SSL wrote:I don't think FM is good for anything but basses and e-pianos. Everything else is pretty much crap sounding
Which is why Brian Eno is such a big FM fan?

I get some amazing other-worldly athmospheric and fx sounds from my FM7 and the FM modules in my Nord G2 even better (esp as they don't eat CPU). I never use basses and as for e-piano's have a few more dedicated synths for that.

Since I'm unbiased (as I got my FM7 free) I'll have to give this Hexter thing a try - I love FM synths.

aMUSEd wrote:
SSL wrote: I get some amazing other-worldly athmospheric and fx sounds from my FM7...
can you share some of those patches?

i'm not really interested in the "real" instrument sounds and that's basically all i've found so far.

quietmusician wrote:Are long release times a good substitute for reverb in your opinion ?
Almost never. :D

Hexter is a dream come true for making normal sounds into weird ones: just go through the algorithms at the top, there are 32. Also, try cranking up the chorus voices. Careful of volume if you're on headphones.

The more I play with this the more fun it is, lots of nuance in the sounds and the incisive ones really float over a mix. Who needs money? :oops:
Pythagorean perennialist.

Too good to last? :(

2005-11-13 (November 13, 2005) - Sorry, took a closer look at GPL license and found out VST plugin interface is not compatible with it since it is proprietary code so I removed the plugins.

Possible solution is breaking the plugin into two parts, the proprietary VST GUI which would load the engine as dynamic linked plugin running as a fork. Another possibility is maybe getting permission from the copyright holders to link to proprietary code as LGPL. http://cutevst.sourceforge.net/

Hope this gets resolved, this is truly a great synth.

alxstewart wrote:Too good to last? :(

2005-11-13 (November 13, 2005) - Sorry, took a closer look at GPL license and found out VST plugin interface is not compatible with it since it is proprietary code so I removed the plugins.

Possible solution is breaking the plugin into two parts, the proprietary VST GUI which would load the engine as dynamic linked plugin running as a fork. Another possibility is maybe getting permission from the copyright holders to link to proprietary code as LGPL. http://cutevst.sourceforge.net/

Hope this gets resolved, this is truly a great synth.
Oh man, that sucks. :?
Mizutaphile.

Return to “Instruments”