Isn't Hexter awesome?!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Willabong wrote: Where is the generalization?
Willabong wrote:You are ALL still conveniently forgetting
Besides the fact that we're not all forgetting it's free, but it's a valid question to see how it compares. That it compares very well is just a testament to how good Hexter is.

pethu wrote: But otherwise, I'm basically just having a bit of fun with the gut reaction everyone has who has bought something for loads of dosh, and then discovers everyone else gets something similar for free... :wink: ...
but how long has it taken to get something this good, and for free??
As for me, I really need another fm synth like I need a hole in the head, as I didn't even add sytrus into this mix.. so, even though Hexter does sound very good, I'm deleting it.
and you're so very right about the original dx7 sounding thin. I was rather disappointed upon playing it the first time with no added fx.

Read the whole post and you will see that i am not relying on one argument,(not even my own thoughts!) cost is only one aspect, but it seems that even some FM7 owners who can make an informed judgment are saying Hexter is better! :)

Willabong wrote:Read the whole post and you will see that i am not relying on one argument,(not even my own thoughts!) cost is only one aspect, but it seems that even some FM7 owners who can make an informed judgment are saying Hexter is better! :)
peace, willabong
I think I prefer FMHeaven's sound, but you sure can't beat Hexter's price.

OK! I'll take my headache tablets and go and have a lie down! :wink:

pethu wrote:
Willabong wrote:You are all still conveniently forgetting that Hexer is FREE!.....There is no comparison, Hexter is by far the better synth on cost alone! Slight differences in sound that even people who have FM7 can't agree on, only go to emphasize this point. :roll:
If by that you mean that Hexter is *cheapest*, there's no argument. But it's semantically impossible for it to be *best* in any other way on that argument alone. This is a fact, and not a joke!

But otherwise, I'm basically just having a bit of fun with the gut reaction everyone has who has bought something for loads of dosh, and then discovers everyone else gets something similar for free... :wink: ...and having to yet again resist the urge to download and use every bit of good gear out there that you don't really have the time to properly learn and utilize anyhow!

On a side note, from a pure *emulation* point of view: The opinion that the FM7 sounds "tinier" is actually an argument in its favour on that score -- the Yamaha DX synths were never the ones for BIG sounds. "Crisp", "clean", "punchy", "organic", "digital", yes, all of those depending on the patch... but hardly ever BIG.
That'd explain it. I've never owned a DX7, so I never got the chance to compare it with my FM7. If you're searching for a DX7 emulation, FM7 is the way to go then. Thing is, I'm not looking for a software DX7, I just want a good sounding FM synth that can easily get all those neat flute-like sounds I've been searching forever for, hehe. :D

I can understand, though, lots of people are very partial towards the DX7 and want something to sound just like it. That's like how I like the Roland JV80 over the Roland JV2080.
Last edited by Ildon on Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hexter is not new it's been on Linux for over a year, it's just been ported to windows that's all.

:D fake
You cant beat people up then have them say "I love you"

fake wrote:Hexter is not new it's been on Linux for over a year, it's just been ported to windows that's all.

It's been out for a year and it still has that GUI!? :x :P

fake wrote:Hexter is not new it's been on Linux for over a year, it's just been ported to windows that's all.

I hope more linux developers do the same, to increase their profile and to increase our enjoyment :)

I don't know whether its something I'm doing or whether its the program. I find that the latest version 1.1.0.0 crashes my computer far to often, whereas I don't seem to have as much trouble with the previous version.

Anyone else experienced this ?

pethu wrote:
On a side note, from a pure *emulation* point of view: The opinion that the FM7 sounds "tinier" is actually an argument in its favour on that score -- the Yamaha DX synths were never the ones for BIG sounds. "Crisp", "clean", "punchy", "organic", "digital", yes, all of those depending on the patch... but hardly ever BIG.
I don't know... the church organ patch in the original DX7 presets seemed quite big to me at the time. In an "unusable mix hog" kind of way, that is.

Some dx sounds were thin and others were not.

The GUI looks like it was made with Lego but I'm getting used to it cause it sounds great. As with Synth1, you can easily tweak the dumber presets into something more interesting. I'm especially loving this as I'm experiencing that extended cash-flow crisis called self-employment. :D
Pythagorean perennialist.

gizmo wrote:I'm especially loving this as I'm experiencing that extended cash-flow crisis called self-employment. :D
Welcome to the club! 8)

Ildon wrote:
gizmo wrote:I'm especially loving this as I'm experiencing that extended cash-flow crisis called self-employment. :D
Welcome to the club! 8)
Ditto

Return to “Instruments”