Sy77/Sy99 vs. FM7??

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

...this is obviously the sensitive point rather than sound's quality comparison

thanks for your input guys! isn´t there the possibility in fm7 to use an audio input?that would mean that i could use samples as operators too wouldn´t it?

i used to have an SY, sold it long ago. it's too big for how much i would use it, and i don't really remember the sound quality or architecture. i am very fond of my FS1R and FM7 combination... how would you SY guys compare vs. the FS1R?

Oh god the FS1R is another beast altogether and terribly good at formant style voicings inparticular.
And a bigger cow too program than an original DX7 too boot :hihi:.
Gorgeous synth though.

1-2-Many wrote:
Forever Sun wrote:I actually grew up with my SY77 and therfore don't find it difficult to program, if you ever get an SY, let me know and I'll share some very lovely sounds with you. :-)
Bring em on FS! I recently bought a TG77 (Rack mount version of the SY77) :hyper:
Not a problem . PM me and we'll sort out a floppy for ya. Actually, TG doesn't have a floppy drive ! The only other way is using the 'data' memory card. I only have a couple of read-only 'waveform' cards. Any ideas ?

I miss my SY99. That thing sounded awesome! I still have my TG77, but I'm gonna ebay it. I bought it new as well, but I just don't use it. I've had a Yamaha V50, TG33, SY77, SY99, and still have a TG77 and a TG500 and haven't regreted the purchases.
-="I beat the Internet...the end guy is hard"=-

The SY99 did possibly have better filters than FM7 does - it also had a really solid FX engine that holds up even today. RCM was useless for the most part (except that feeding filter-modulated simple waveform samples could be extremely cool), and FM7's audio input is essentially the same thing, except much more flexible since you can stream audio into it realtime (and even pre-process). That, and the distortion/waveshaper stage, and the operator matrix including the ability to feed back post-filtered/distoerted sounds into the engine again and no limit on feedback loops (SYs can't have more than 3) really pretty much blow the SY out of the water. And, of course the envelopes. The SY's envelopes are no slouch, but they really don't even come close to an FM7-level of complexity.

The SYs have the advantage of layering PCM and FM in a single patch, true - but it's not like it's difficult to layer with a PCM-based software instrument in a modern DAW app, if that's what you crave.

G-Ro124 wrote:stairsteps, i am just wondering out of curiosity. how long did it take you to make that truck out of computer keyboard parts??

About 5 mins to make but 2 long years of R&D went into this thing. hehe serious im a artist and just got board one day.
some creative stuff can be accomplished when your at your worst hence the bud truck, to bad im all outta bud i need to go to store brb.

(@)'(@)"""*|(@)*(@)*****(@)

im sorry but I used to own an S7-77 and it was a huge pain in the ass to edit. I don't even care if it was more flexible, FM7 is a million times easier to use... (at least for me personally, maybe the others here are smarter than me)

No, it's not just you. Yamaha have a thing about putting powerful synth engines behind obtuse interfaces - it's a time honored tradition that goes back to the days of the CS-80, and maybe even further.

Return to “Instruments”