Dimension Pro and Ram

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I;ve been listening to the sound samples of demension pro and it's the best sounding rompler i've ever heard. my question is how much ram do you need to use it well (my laptop is an AMD2800+ with 512 megs and a 60 gig hard drive). i know 512 is the minimum, is that enough to run it well with reason and fl studio? and is the plug in multitimbrial

The amount of RAM needed varies greatly from program to program. Some patches (e.g. synth basses) sound hot and don't even add up to 0.1 MB while the largest piano is 230 MB.

I've only got 512 MB also and haven't run into problems yet. Mind you, I've not made extensive use of the largest patches in my projects.

One thing worth noting is that patches load really fast and Dimension has very clever memory managment for programs that use the same samples across the four elements.

As far as being multi-timbral, it depends how you look at it. There is a hierarchy of compoents: a ‘program’ is made of four ‘elements’ and each ‘element’ can playback an ‘sfz’ file. Some programs might use all four elements, others only one. The sfz files are basically multi-sample mappings that include info on keyboard zones, velocity splits, etc. Of course, it goes way deeper than that but I don't want to scare you… :wink:

The short answer is: yes, Dimension is multi-timbral but if you simply want to use presets you're probably best off running multiple instances and assigning a single program to each. This is how René imagined it would be used and made sure that the overheads are extremely low so you're not over taxed when running, say, 10 or 20 instances at once. :)

All in all, it's an amazing sounding and highly tweakable ROMpler. And if you're into programming, well… nobody really knows the limits yet. :wink:

Return to “Instruments”