Any TOXIC Users Want To Comment?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was looking at the Maxx Claster offer for Toxic, for Euro 49 through end of the month... :?:

Tried out the demo for a few minutes, and it seemed kinda promising. What I liked was the single page approach to the GUI (which is what I also admire in the somewhat better-looking Octopus from Linplug).

Are there any users here? How does it perform? Is the CPU load moderate? Any bugs? Does it duplicate other common VSTs?

There's a couple of positive and quite helpful reviews on the site here, but I didn't find the names familiar. A lot of 'the usual suspects' have done presets for Toxic, so it can't be too 'toxic,' I'm thinking. :lol:

Oh, yeah, and a dumb question, since there's no documentation...how does one set the synch or the sequencer speed? BPM? Something cleverer? I know, too much Xmas pudding... :oops:

thanks for any thoughts :)

/fcd

PS: I'm kind of dithering between this and the similarly priced SonicBytes ERA2 sequencer. Which would you go for? [later clarification: I know they're entirely different; it's just how much spare dough I may have...]

I absolutely love Toxic 2. If you can, you must get it. In terms of sonic quality, flexibility, diversity of patches, etc. it's a wonderful instrument and finds it's way into nearly every song I do. It can be as warm, smooth and mellow as you please, but tweak the filters and distortion and it will scream. I've just barely scratched the surface of it's capabilities, though. The sequencer syncs to your host BPM, BTW.

Get it! You'll find fulfillment and joy.

David

www.davidlinn.com

I bought Toxic recently, after checking out the demo - it has all the presets, u just can't save them in the demo.

I haven't delved too much into the programming, just been using the presets and am more than happy. Hwr, these presets are in the demo so check them out! (click on the Toxic pic in the bottom right corner for all the banks)

re cpu: low, on my p4 3.2ghz, 1gb, winXP system.

re bugs: haven't come across any yet (only had it for a few days)

re tempo: It automatically syncs to the host's tempo (it does in eXT at least)

re duplicating other vsts: If u mean how does it sound compared to other plugs, I would say it sounds favourably, I've used it make nice leads, & bass sounds, but I've only just started with it so can't comment further!

For what it's worth I'm v. happy with it -it's definately part of my 'go to' instruments list :)

PS: what will u be using SonicBytes ERA2 sequencer for?

davidlinn wrote:I absolutely love Toxic 2. If you can, you must get it. In terms of sonic quality, flexibility, diversity of patches, etc. it's a wonderful instrument and finds it's way into nearly every song I do. It can be as warm, smooth and mellow as you please, but tweak the filters and distortion and it will scream. I've just barely scratched the surface of it's capabilities, though. The sequencer syncs to your host BPM, BTW.

Get it! You'll find fulfillment and joy.

David

www.davidlinn.com
Uh huh. I've produced some pretty wild variations by tweaking, which is really quite intuitive when the whole range of settings is staring at you...

The presets are pretty good. It really has some rich qualities. If fact, a lotta what I lika about Octopus at a third of the price. (Yes, I know that's much more sophisticated in terms of modulation, but...)

And, duh, I shoulda guessed it was a synch-to-host. Wrong day for deep thinking!

David, thanks!

/fcd
Every Potemkin village needs its idiot savant

flippya2000 wrote:I bought Toxic recently, after checking out the demo - it has all the presets, u just can't save them in the demo.

I haven't delved too much into the programming, just been using the presets and am more than happy. Hwr, these presets are in the demo so check them out! (click on the Toxic pic in the bottom right corner for all the banks)

re cpu: low, on my p4 3.2ghz, 1gb, winXP system.

re bugs: haven't come across any yet (only had it for a few days)

re tempo: It automatically syncs to the host's tempo (it does in eXT at least)

re duplicating other vsts: If u mean how does it sound compared to other plugs, I would say it sounds favourably, I've used it make nice leads, & bass sounds, but I've only just started with it so can't comment further!

For what it's worth I'm v. happy with it -it's definately part of my 'go to' instruments list :)

PS: what will u be using SonicBytes ERA2 sequencer for?
More good news. Re CPU, my set-up is about the same as yours...

ERA2 was intended (by me) as a compositional tool as much as a sequencer...you can string together monster series of variations, for example. And it arps chords, and also acts as a drum machine, should one wish. But it could wait, since this Toxic offer is highly tempting...

thanks!

/fcd

funkychickendance wrote: ERA2 was intended (by me) as a compositional tool as much as a sequencer...you can string together monster series of variations, for example. And it arps chords, and also acts as a drum machine, should one wish. But it could wait, since this Toxic offer is highly tempting...
/fcd
ERA2 sounds v.interesting, I'll definately try the demo out later, can't right now, in the middle of some projects, but it sounds v.intriguing indeed, esp as a drum machine..

Anyways, glad I could help in ur decision, just keep playing with the demo & see if it does everything u want it to :)

funkychickendance wrote:I was looking at the Maxx Claster offer for Toxic, for Euro 49 through end of the month...
Why do things always seem to go on sale so soon after I buy them? :lol:
Are there any users here? How does it perform? Is the CPU load moderate? Any bugs? Does it duplicate other common VSTs?
I have a (relatively) modest Athlon 2500 @ 1.8ghz and find the CPU load very reasonable. Simple pathces (1 or 2 osc, light fx) average 2-5%, more complex ones (more modulations, long delay etc.) average 10-15%. I haven't put it through a torture test or anything, but it's been completely bug free for me.

As for duplicating other synths... I'd say that one of Toxic's strengths is its ability to do FM while retaining an analog "flavouring." It might not out-moog Minimonsta, but between its wide variety of oscillators and sweet sounding filter it can definatley pump out the VA sounds. Add in the FM sounds and it makes for a very flexible synth.
PS: I'm kind of dithering between this and the similarly priced SonicBytes ERA2 sequencer. Which would you go for? [later clarification: I know they're entirely different; it's just how much spare dough I may have...]
It really depends on how satisfied you are with your current setup. I was fine with my sequencer (energyXT) and bought Toxic as part of an effort to minimize the number of soft synths I had installed and replace ones I'd bought previously, but didn't use much and its filled that role wonderfully (I've pared things down to Toxic, EveONE, WusikStation2 and DK+ (and I consider WusikStation a luxury)). If you're happy with the range of souds your synths provide and feel that ERA would help out your workflow/productivity then by all means get it. But if you feel set for sequencing and that Toxic could fill a role in your sonic pallette, then absolutely get it. The regular price isn't out of line at all and at that sale price it's a great bang/buck ratio.

Hope that's helpful.

I'll be doing a full fledge review of Toxic, but won't be finished with it for awhile (in the middle of moving here to a new house.)

Great synth, great presets, great sound, great price. My only REAL gripe is the lack of a real preset browser system. The rest, so far, are minor interface peeves.

I did notice that it would lightly denormal on my Intel 2.53Ghz Intel chip with the filter section and delay/chorus effects sections I believe. I have since switched to an AMD processor, so now it doesn't affect me. Maxx is aware of the issue and should be fixed in a future release.

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

jPod wrote: As for duplicating other synths... I'd say that one of Toxic's strengths is its ability to do FM while retaining an analog "flavouring." It might not out-moog Minimonsta, but between its wide variety of oscillators and sweet sounding filter it can definatley pump out the VA sounds. Add in the FM sounds and it makes for a very flexible synth.

But if you feel set for sequencing and that Toxic could fill a role in your sonic pallette, then absolutely get it. The regular price isn't out of line at all and at that sale price it's a great bang/buck ratio.

Hope that's helpful.
I think I'm getting nearer a decision, thanks to the various bits of advice. If I were honest, I'd say I have enough synth capacity to answer any musical question I'm able to pose myself... :oops:

...but equally, I'm pretty well provided with sequencing capabilities within the context of what I'm likely to do in the next few months...I tend to think in terms of arp'ed chords, randomized scale patterns, pretty simple sequencing in comparison to (say) long symphonic passages. :wink:

A big plus of ERA2, in my book, is that it'll pump out MIDI till the cows come home, based on its huge capacity for different patterns (I think 999?) and repeats thereof...but I mustn't let my ambitions get ahead of my competence, I think :lol: Whether it's at 49 or 69 Euros won't affect my long-term decision, but right now, Toxic seems more useful to me...

/fcd

DevonB wrote:

Great synth, great presets, great sound, great price. My only REAL gripe is the lack of a real preset browser system. The rest, so far, are minor interface peeves.

I did notice that it would lightly denormal on my Intel 2.53Ghz Intel chip with the filter section and delay/chorus effects sections I believe. ... Maxx is aware of the issue and should be fixed in a future release.

Devon
Cool. Rather similarly, I did manage to get it into a wonderfully woozy, metastable state on my 3.2GHz/1GB Intel rig -- teetering on the edge of a feedback loop, eerily reminiscent of 60s guitars :o -- a trick I've rarely accomplished with synths lately. But that was me, not it.

:love: Nice synth, no doubt about it. Very versatile, too. Thanks, Devon!

/fcd

funkychickendance wrote: ERA2 was intended (by me) as a compositional tool as much as a sequencer
/fcd
Hi fcd,

Just another thing u may be interested in, is SQ4, as far as I can tell itz like ERA2, but more advanced.

I don't think itz out yet, but you can check it in motion by clicking the link 'SQ4 in action' in this link, (must have javascript enabled to see it) it's only €49. I'd be interested in what u think abt it :)

flippya2000 wrote:
funkychickendance wrote: ERA2 was intended (by me) as a compositional tool as much as a sequencer
/fcd
Hi fcd,

Just another thing u may be interested in, is SQ4, as far as I can tell itz like ERA2, but more advanced.

I don't think itz out yet, but you can check it in motion by clicking the link 'SQ4 in action' in this link, (must have javascript enabled to see it) it's only €49. I'd be interested in what u think abt it :)
Whooo!!! :D

Yes, that is really interesting! The specification is amazing, although the screenshots are somewhat daunting. But then all steppers and sequencers have that kind of feel to them. It certainly does the kind of things I'm interested in...

Early 2006, eh? Sooner the better!! :hyper: :hyper:

Thanks, buddy. :hug:
/fcd

funkychickendance wrote: Thanks, buddy. :hug:
/fcd
..ur welcome :)

flippya2000 wrote:
funkychickendance wrote: Thanks, buddy. :hug:
/fcd
..ur welcome :)
I heard back from Eric, the developer. Looks like March/April 2006 for a release. Worth the wait, whatever. :D

/fcd

funkychickendance wrote: I heard back from Eric, the developer. Looks like March/April 2006 for a release. Worth the wait, whatever. :D
/fcd
Cheers for the update fcd. Looks like u'll just have to make do with ur host for now.. ;)

Return to “Instruments”