RELATED
PRODUCTS

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/2105.html

Downers:

- Not many modulation options

- Nappy interface

- Would like an input processing audio

Uppers:

- Sweet/strong/unique sound! (you have to play with it the patches are kinda bleh)

- Low CPU if you set the release lower

- FREE!!!

Its so ugly I didnt wanna download it but it actually has some good sounds in it

kodama wrote: - Would like an input processing audio
- Low CPU if you set the release lower
You could also just lower the polyphony (the "Voices" setting).

As for the audio input, I don't quite get what you mean. This is not FM, so what to do with an audio input? :?

thought moppeltron had some nice sounds to d/led it.. fatal errors in win logic 4 (i know..) first "can't find the .sep" message then crashed after reboot :p

it's more or less a "my host" thing, so by all means, try this!
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

This one, Miffi, is one sweet babe, I kid you not. Congrats, Moffel, you seem to be on the cutting edge of a new type of synthesis. I'll try to look at the "guide" one more time, but so far it looks a case of Too Much Information - TMI - for my brain. (I only carry a driver's license to have something to look at in the mornings to help me remember my name. :hihi: ) :D :D :D :D And I love the richness of the presets. :wink:
RogerPerrin

I'm up to my old hat tricks again.

...this hideous machine is indead a BEAST!!!! I would'nt have downloaded it had it not been for this thread. I've long learned never to judge based on GUI's, but at first it looked like a Synthedit experiment; someone's first go at it....quite misleading. Try watching it with a stereo phase meter.

Barf wrote:Its so ugly I didn't wanna download it but it actually has some good sounds in it
That's coming from a guy named barf :lol:

Yeah I have to agree! Great synth. Might go under the radar because of the way it looks and lack of post osc processing but for those that can see an unpolished diamond for what it is, and aren't afraid of a bunch of inserts, this thing will offer up some real unique and musical sounds.

PS sounds incredible when you do a little automation on a sequence!

:!:
This is a very cool sounding little synth ...
I wish the "sidebands" knob were in log scale.
Looks like a lot of sonic value falls between the range 0-10, and it is very difficult to dail up those with the linear pot.
Congrats!
ik.

soma wrote:
Barf wrote:Its so ugly I didn't wanna download it but it actually has some good sounds in it
That's coming from a guy named barf :lol:
:lol: :P :party:

this is a really nice sounding synth. well done moppel.

oli

Thank you very much for your feedback! :)

Some comments:

Not many modulation options.

Agreed.

Ugly

This is my baby, and my baby is beauuuutiful. :love:

Win Logic 4 crashes

Sorry to hear that. :? I don't know yet what to do about this.

TMI (Too much information)

Maybe I really went berzerk on the documentation. Well, just play around with the synth and check the docs only when you're curious about the dirty details.

Watching it in a stereo phase meter"

Looks interesting in a stereo oscilloscope, doesn't it. If I had an explanation for those "S" shapes, I would have added that to the docs as well.

It's still ugly!

No, it's not! (Don't listen to them, Miffi...)

No post osc processing

Yep, that's the oscillator sound, no filters or equalization applied. Call it purity of design or call it laziness. The truth is somewhere inbetween.

Sidebands knob should have logarithmic scale

Agreed.

I'd also like to address some points I received by e-mail:

The knobs, like M:C ratio and Sidebands, are too touchy for automization

Yes, they are somewhat sensitive. The M:C ratio can be made less touchy, though. Just raise the knobs by the same factor, eg. "100:200" instead of "1:2". Same ratio, but less touchy.
As for the Sideband knob, I would not really recommend automating this anyway. When you raise the sidebands, new partials will instantly pop in, and when you lower it, partials will instantly pop out. There is no gentle blending, so you will get crackles when you change the parameter while playing. That's why I didn't make this parameter morphable in the first place.

It sounds like a hybrid between FM, formant and subtractive synthesis.

It is true that DSF sounds like a hybrid, and it has in fact similarities with other techniques:
The effect of the modulation frequency in combination the center frequency, or say, carrier frequency, is the same as in FM in that the partials are placed at the same positions, namely at frequencies of the form "fc + k * fm". The partials only have a little different magnitude.
It has also similarities with formant synthesis, too, since DSF can let the partials fall off on both sides of the center frequency, creating a peak in the spectrum, ie. a formant. As for DSF having similarities with subtractive synthesis: yes and no. It has not really similarities with subtractive synthesis since it does not filter. Rather, it's more like additive synthesis in that it generates only the partials that you want instead of generating a mass of partials and removing everything that you don't want. But I know what you mean; those subtractive sounding "meeeeeeooooowwwwm" sounds occur when you alter
the Amplitude Ratio parameter. That parameter controls how fast the partials fall off. When you lower the parameter, the partials fall off steeper, and the high frequency partials become less audible. Similar things happen when changing the signal by the comb settings. So it sounds a bit like subtractive synthesis, but technically it's more like additive synthesis.
Frankly, it has a bit of everything. :?

Just wanted to let you know that the "Cat" preset just drove my cats crazy!

Sorry bout that. :shock:

PETA Advisory: Don't use the Cat preset if you love your Kitty!

moppel wrote: As for the audio input, I don't quite get what you mean. This is not FM, so what to do with an audio input? :?

I meant to process it throught the comb filters, etc..

I would still love some more modulation options.

Moppel says he has no time to update Miffi though, how can we convince him to take time???

:D

Just wanted to let you know that the "Cat" preset just drove my cats crazy!
:lol:

kodama wrote:I meant to process it throught the comb filters, etc..
I see... well, there are no comb filters inside. The comb filtering is builtin in the entire process, so to say. No way to feed any audio anywhere in.

And as for updates, that's matter of not having all the time in the world anymore...

the presets are very nice. the sound is unique and something i've desired from other synths that have come close. i'll have some time so tweak tonight. thanx fer the nifty plug
"Most people who experiment with drugs are not lying in the streets, suffocating on their own vomit. If you want to see some of that, go to the Pub on Saturday night at closing time." ozwest

Return to “Instruments”