Sound tweak for the Chinese 1-string instrument?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,
I've put this question in the "Production..." subforum, but this subforum seems to have lots of questions regarding sound tweaking too... Sorry if I double posted. Hopefully someone in here can help me to tweak my VSTi plugins to sound like this Chinese 1-string instrument. Here is the example of the sound:

http://www.brotherz.com/xuanvu/Sound.mp3

I think that we can use some of the violin patch to create this type of sound. But I'm not that good with sound production, so maybe some of you here can help. I have these following VSTi instruments:

1. Atmosphere
2. Korg M1
3. Kontakt 2 (they have some excellence violin/viola/cello patches)
4. Hypersonics 2 (also some great violin patches)

Any take on this? I really need this sound for the Vietnamese/Chinese songs that my band plays.

Thank you,
Kenny.

From what i'm hearing you could try find a breath instrument and mix it with a viola or cello.

The breath sound should be more or less constant. Perhaps a pan flute like thing.

Anyway, just a crazy idea ;)
www.xsynth.com - Sound Synthesis with Vintage flavour

Sounds a bit like an Erhu (or a variation of an Erhu), but it's going through some effects. Check out ChineeErhu, which is an excellent Erhu VSTi: http://www.chineekong.com/chineeerhu.htm

(and be sure to listen to the Horse Races audio demo on the webpage there) :)

P.S. By the way, an Erhu has two strings, not one. (assuming that the instrument you posted a sample of is indeed an Erhu) I own one, too. :)
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

mkastrup wrote:From what i'm hearing you could try find a breath instrument and mix it with a viola or cello.

The breath sound should be more or less constant. Perhaps a pan flute like thing.

Anyway, just a crazy idea ;)
not such crazy

rather than combining it with a breathy sample, i would (and this is for me a usual
experience), try to rehearse some of the inharmonic content of the original samples with a high-quality enhancer tool ( like psp-mixtrebble,... this also works really great with voices )

Then another recommanded operation would be the choice of an appropriate Impulse response to emulate the body of the original instrument if your sampler allows it...

Gregjazz,
Wooooowww!!! That's exactly what I'm looking for :) Are those samples played with the VSTi??? It sounds great! Yeah, regarding the instrument, I was watching some Chinese movie and probably didn't notice that they have 2 strings :)

Thank you,
Kenny.

Greg,
Well, I've just ordered Chinese Urhu. I'll be offline making some music now :)

Kenny.

Stringz should also be able to make these sounds

I'm not that great when it come to tweaking sound, since I don't really understand most of the parameters and stuffs... And the VSTi that Greg shown just blown me away.

Thanks,
Kenny.

Return to “Instruments”