Anyone here use the Tech21NYC PSA 1.1? How well does it work

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The sounds have the most realistic Mesa Rect. I have ever heard, it's about $550 US dollars. I can always return it.

Just wondering if anyone has it and what they have to say about it compared to other units!
thanks

:D

I guess I know a bit about Tech 21. I've owned the PSA-1 (original version), GT2, Bass Driver D.I., and the Trademark 60. I also own a Line6 PodXT.
I still have the Bass Driver and the Trademark 60. The PSA-1 is a good, really solid unit. Unbreakable. I don't know what changes they've made in the new version (1.1), so I can't comment on that. There were some great emulations- the Mesas, the Twin, the Pignose, most of the bass amp presets. I found the Tele emulation usable, too. What got to me after awhile was a kind of fizzy-ness, a high end sizzle that was present on all the patches. I couldn't edit/EQ it away, and I kind of got obsessed with the noise. I never noticed it on the GT2. Now, however, when I listen back to tracks I recorded with the PSA-1, I'm sort of surprised at how good they actually sound.
There was no cabinet emulation included in the patches in my PSA-1. For that reason it always seemed easier to dial up a usable tone on the GT2, which I regret selling.
My PodXT is much more versatile for recording, but not nearly as solid bulid-wise. The emulations I liked in the PSA-1, I really liked alot, but I felt there were fewer distinct tones to choose from.
Tech 21 is a great company, customer service is unmatched. I try to support them when I can.
It comes down to taste, I guess. If it's returnable, you've got nothing to lose, so I'd definitely recommend trying it out.

To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders - Lao Tzu

Return to “Instruments”