What Makes Nintendo Sound So Nintendo?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
AndrewSimon wrote:Nintendo Sound?

Here is a quick tutorial:

Check out the video:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... rio+guitar (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3521440202511044568&q=super+mario+guitar)
:hihi: :lol: cool!

splattabreakz wrote:
Mr. Tunes wrote:does anyone agree with me?
totally... those composers were brilliant, the legend of zelda music was just fantastico.
Yeah and the best part about the classics were those guys didn't have the luxury of using sequencers like what we have today. Rob Hubbard and Hirokazu Tanaka are great examples of people who wrote amazing music that had to be programmed from scratch. Unfortunately in their time the role as video game composers was underrated compared to the work of today's geniouses

Mr. Tunes wrote:Rob Hubbard and Hirokazu Tanaka are great examples of people who wrote amazing music that had to be programmed from scratch. Unfortunately in their time the role as video game composers was underrated compared to the work of today's geniouses
Those days were the culmination of all good things related to three tone polyphony. I remember the music (and nowadays know the names of the composers) fondly.

The C64 forced loader music made people focus on the music much more than any games of today, and I know lots of unlikely people who still remember them well, and liked them much. (including even my mom and little sister :lol: ).

C64 kind of forced the miniature music on you and you just had to learn to like it.

I still think the original mario tune is a masterpiece of three voice arrangements, along with many other tunes of those days.

Kingston wrote:I still think the original mario tune is a masterpiece of three voice arrangements, along with many other tunes of those days.
According to this video, you're right it's only 3 voices :)

I used this research directly when i made Triforce. http://www.slack.net/~ant/bl-synth/

Peach & Toad are wavetable based. So obviously the sound is direct. I've never tried to recreate SID type sounds, as I feel ReFX has nailed it completely, and affordably.

:)

You need to tailor the eq to match the speakers of a TV.
All I need to be happy is one more VSTi.

Rabid wrote:You need to tailor the eq to match the speakers of a TV.
Oi. My nintendo always gets sent through the hifi.

This was a helpful thread. I've made a lot of chiptunes for the cafe since making it and I think I've gotten quite close to the sound.

Minor discovery...Lower time base, or PPQ, in the host. Of coarse the nintendo didnt have as high a timebase as FL Studio. Lowering it works wonders for emulating NES/SID envelopes, a surprisingly large part of the sound. Don't know why I didnt think of this earlier.

The Chase wrote:Minor discovery...Lower time base, or PPQ, in the host. Of coarse the nintendo didnt have as high a timebase as FL Studio. Lowering it works wonders for emulating NES/SID envelopes, a surprisingly large part of the sound. Don't know why I didnt think of this earlier.
jmh (a respectable sid composer) could chime to this with exact details, as he told me a few facts of SID music and timing tricks.

Basically it has everything to do with how much 64 CPU you are willing to allocate to the music. If it's a game/demo we're talking about obviously timing and envelope/portamento speeds and accuracy will suffer as you'll generally want to allocate as much CPU to the graphics and game engine as possible.

Things change when it's pure SID tracker music we're talking about, as everything is now available to the music.

The High Voltage SID Collection illustrates this very well, as there's plenty of examples with absolutely hideous control rate and timing, and some that rival todays gadgets. One has to remember that the older SID music had no trackers, no timing trickery and exploits.

Then there were byte for byte restrictions on music, because only so much could be fitted to the memory with all the graphics and engine running at the same time. The composers had to resort to all kinds of transposition and pattern re-use tricks because of this. Surely it was one of the things that made up the sound of those days.

NeoRetro makes NES sound so NES. :p

Return to “Instruments”