Cube 2 comparisons???

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Looking for a resynth that has similar functions as Cube 2 to gauge the performace/functionality.. I was thinking Camel Audio 5000???

Any help is greatly appreciated..

C

Also for future reference, how do I do a search for this criteria??

C

CAMELEON!!! Yes!

I tried out and bought Cameleon early last year, because it was so easy to do fun sonic morphs. But I found the "musical" patches quite thin to my ears. Putting a sample of a real instrument in and listening to the resynthesis, one can hear a reflection of the original timbre, but it's a pretty blurry reflection. Since Kjaerhus' Spectra came out a week or two ago, I've been comparing the Spectra and Cube 2 demos against Cameleon. To my ears, both Spectra and Cube 2 have significantly better sound than Cameleon. Resyntheis by both results in far more recognizable sounds than in Cameleon. Where they differ is in what happens after the resynthesis engine: Spectra is set up and programmed like a fairly classic virtual analog synth, with amplitude and filter envelopes, a (really nice) multi-mode filter, LFO/MIDI modulators, etc. Listening to the MP3 demos on the Kjaerhus web site, I was struck by how many of the patches sounded like they came out of high-end vintage analog synths. Cube 2 has a different paradigm for sound design which allows different and cool things to be done, but which is a little harder to use if you're used to conventional synths.

Neither Spectra nor Cube 2 were available when I bought Cameleon (though Cube 1 was), but if I were choosing an additive today, it would probably be between Cube 2 and Spectra. Cube 2 has slightly better sound and more potential, while Spectra is less expensive and easier to use.

Have not played with Spectra but Cube and Cameleon are both very nice. Cameleon is probably easier as a 'synth' paradigm. Both suffer from lack of formant manipulation. By this I mean that a sample played across the keyboard will 'mickey mouse'. Cameleon allows multisamples which can be a real plus. Also I found that shorter samples work much better than a longer 'loops' if you are trying to get a close resynth voice. Camel is one of my most used VST synths there is a lot of stuff there.

Thanks for suggestions...!! To tell you the truth I would not be using the resynth to play my samples I would just like to be process the samples and resample them.. then play them through my actual hard sampler.... If there are any plugins that would do the same plz let me know

C

Doppelmangler then.

Lagrange wrote:Thanks for suggestions...!! To tell you the truth I would not be using the resynth to play my samples I would just like to be process the samples and resample them.. then play them through my actual hard sampler.... If there are any plugins that would do the same plz let me know

C
In that case Whitenoiseaudio Additive or dopplemangler are great synths. And Cube is by far the best especially for you while not neccessary to play the synth live! Cameleon has less sound quality but has lower CPU usage, that is the only reason to buy Cameleon for me. WNAdditive has also low CPU demands but also great sample destruction capabilities.

The thing that got my attention with Cube 2 is the spectral display (as I am a spectral guru)... and the animated envelopes... I think that Im going to have to buy it.. I've heard that dopplemangler only does 44.1/16bit samples.. That would be a problem in my case, Im using a 96/32 enviroment and dont really want to have to convert my system clocks everytime I edit a wav file.. So it looks like Cube 2 for now still have to check out Kjaehrus's Spectra... Let me do that 1st...

Lagrange wrote:The thing that got my attention with Cube 2 is the spectral display (as I am a spectral guru)... and the animated envelopes... I think that Im going to have to buy it.. I've heard that dopplemangler only does 44.1/16bit samples.. That would be a problem in my case, Im using a 96/32 enviroment and dont really want to have to convert my system clocks everytime I edit a wav file.. So it looks like Cube 2 for now still have to check out Kjaehrus's Spectra... Let me do that 1st...

Look for Whitenoiseaudio Additive too!

One more question: Do any of these actually load the wav file or do they just analyze the wav's structure...

???? Getting confused now...

C

Lagrange wrote:One more question: Do any of these actually load the wav file or do they just analyze the wav's structure...

???? Getting confused now...

C
Analyze the wavestructure and build the analyzed sample by adding sine waves to get a close imitation of the analyzed sample.

another one to check out is discoDSP's vertigo.

-ugo

I'd just like to add a couple of points - with regard to the resynthesis quality, Cameleon is not designed to work with multiple instrument / multiple note phrases - and the resynthesis quality with other products such as Cube, Vertigo etc may well be better. However, it works well for single note, single instrument samples. For this class of samples, I think it performs as well as the best similar products.

A couple of things you can do with Cameleon, that you can't do with any other synth are:
- multisampling additive resynthesis, which allows for more tonally interesting sounds over the whole keyboard range
- separate morphing control over the harmonic aspects, noise aspects, and amplitude aspects. This opens up a new world of sound design posssibilities by combining different aspects of sounds. Its a fun and simple way to create new instruments - it does something along the same lines of Plex.
- a larger library (including those available from the website) of presets than any other additive synth

Each of the products has advantages and disadvantages, and what is right for you will depend on your personal preferences. I recommend downloading the demos and making up your own mind.

Thanks
Ben

Have you looked into coagula?

Return to “Instruments”