ScanSynthGL Public Beta

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

just a screenshot for the mac people,
I'm having some difficulties getting the OpenGL to work on mac.

8) - seriously cool & interesting piece of kit mdsp. Echo Sickle's suggestion on page 1 for MIDI learn of x/y - and, though I have no technical knowledge per se in such matters, what's the possibility of multiple 'scans' given the econmomic CPU usage?

Spiggy wrote:8) - seriously cool & interesting piece of kit mdsp. Echo Sickle's suggestion on page 1 for MIDI learn of x/y - and, though I have no technical knowledge per se in such matters, what's the possibility of multiple 'scans' given the econmomic CPU usage?
do you mean 1 string per voice?

BTW how much cpu does it eat for you?
for the midi learn:
1) just midi learn, (maybe)
2) or autmation playback? (surely not)

BTW how would you release the string with midi learn?

mdsp wrote:do you mean 1 string per voice?
Yes - multiple voices with multiple strings would be v. cool. Just finished playing with 4 Scansynths auto-panned, filtered, delayed and the occasional tap or 'scratch' with the mouse on each sounded fantastic.
mdsp wrote:BTW how much cpu does it eat for you?
6-7% per instance (P4 2.6c running Live 5.03)
mdsp wrote:for the midi learn:
1) just midi learn, (maybe)
2) or autmation playback? (surely not)
BTW how would you release the string with midi learn?
Yes to the last - grabbing the string with MIDI learn is what I'm trying to describe. As you point out the release mechanism could be real tricky tho'. Either way hope my suggestions don't seem dumb...

Spiggy wrote:
mdsp wrote:do you mean 1 string per voice?
Yes - multiple voices with multiple strings would be v. cool. Just finished playing with 4 Scansynths auto-panned, filtered, delayed and the occasional tap or 'scratch' with the mouse on each sounded fantastic.

grabbing the string with MIDI learn is what I'm trying to describe. As you point out the release mechanism could be real tricky tho'. Either way hope my suggestions don't seem dumb...
your suggestions absolutely make sense, if you find a simple way of catching, releasing the string (a meta-keyboard-key ala melohman?) then controlling the XY with midi controllers is very easy. But definitely, a mouse is the more appropriate controller for this.

for the string per voice there's already ScanSynth which I already mentionned doing that and with some more parameters.

but i also like the idea of sharing a string between voices, and btw it's the only solution, if you want to be able to visualize and interact with the string.
with multiple voices, I could use a color for each voice, but with 16 strings on screen, I guess what you'd see is just some sort of psychedelic mess.

I'll think about it, I'm curious to see what it would look like.
But no more string interaction I fear.

How do I get any sound out of it..it works fine but no sound :?

nevermind I figured it out

snooky wrote:nevermind I figured it out
forgot to play a note? :)

Something else that I noticed. When I am adjusting the different controls, the cursor covers the value display.

Here's a suggestion. Swap the label and the value display, but make the value displays globally switchable. If the control is not being adjusted, blank the values. Only have them show if the cursor is on the control. That way the GUI only shows the labels and the bars in nornal use. But also have a way to switch it back to the constant mode for those who like that. Just a suggestion... :)

mdsp wrote:
snooky wrote:nevermind I figured it out
forgot to play a note? :)
yep!

Awesome synth btw, makes some astounding ambiences with the right reverbs/IR's

How about being able to modulate the X/Y postitions on the string with lfo's?
there could be an offset param that determins where on the string the modualtion happens (like -127 0 +127 left/center/right on the string) there could also be different waveforms like stepped waves, smooth sweeps and warious pattern on the LFO to simulate different mouse movementsor creative use of the strings possibilities. All temposynced of course!
midi controll of the lfo's would also be a good way to give some more expressive controll to the strings sound generation.

Currently it's impossible to let the synth just run along a whole track genrating it's sound while the strings is modulated.
Only workaround is to record the sound as a separate wavfile, hardly the most convinient way to do things.

Also, while it may be hard to set a convinient midi controll (maybe some kind of note on/off message?) for when you "release" the string, all other parameters should be midi controlled giving at least moderate midi control!

or how about some gravity/spring type physics to modulate the postitions on the string....you twang and let go and the movement passes through the string until it eventually comes to a stop.

Anyone remember FMOL
http://www.iua.upf.es/~sergi/FMOL/graphmain.htm
this did some amazing stuff with strings you plucked on screen linked to oscillators and sample players, you have to try it....:D
Amazon: why not use an alternative

thanks mdsp,
your synth actually shocked me.
It shocked me, then it scanned ME,
and now I'm completely hooked/fcuked (in a good way).
mdsp wrote: I know the name was going to confuse people, ...
mdsp wrote:If you have better names for these synths, the naming contest is open.
"To survive in this fascist police state, he thought, you gotta always be able to come up with a name, your name. At all times. That's the first sign they look for that you're wired, not being able to figure out who the hell you are."
- Philip K. Dick
from his book --------- A Scanner Darkly

VariKusBrainZ wrote:or how about some gravity/spring type physics to modulate the postitions on the string....you twang and let go and the movement passes through the string until it eventually comes to a stop.

Anyone remember FMOL
http://www.iua.upf.es/~sergi/FMOL/graphmain.htm
this did some amazing stuff with strings you plucked on screen linked to oscillators and sample players, you have to try it....:D
well I knew about FMOL, there is also Genesis from the ACROE and PMPD (Phisical Modelling for PureData) that can do this kind of sequencing/generating sound all with Physical Models.

I'll have some way to generate non-uniform mass, stiffness distribution so that the string behaviour is different depending on the position, and waves don't have a unifrom travelling speed along the string

This is a great synth. Both looks and sounds wonderful.
Thanks to mdsp for designing ScanSynthGL.

I'll soon post some sounds I created with ScanSynthGL.

Wonderful :tu:
01001001 01110100 00100111 01110011 00100000 01100011 01100001 01101100 01101100 01100101 01100100 00100000 00100010 01000100 01100001 01101001 01110011 01111001 00101110 00100010

Return to “Instruments”