Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New What is KVR? Submit News Advertise
Ingonator
KVRAF

10897 posts since 21 Mar, 2008, from Hannover, Germany

Postby Ingonator; Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:43 pm Re: Poly-Ana: Coming soon from Admiral Quality.

wagtunes wrote:
simmo75 wrote:Great Skin Ingo! I can see, i can see!
Many thanks

AQ should probably give him a commission for all the synths they've sold because of that skin.

I'll be picking mine up before the March 31st deadline.

Well he refused to add my skin to the website and we had LOTS of trouble about that (and also with some other members here...).

Others that contributed skins to the website received a free license as tehy used teh demo version for that task. I alraedy had a license for a long time so i did not want to have ANYTHING for my skin.

Maybe without all that trouble back then i would have invested more time to get an even better skin. As alraedy mentioned i had to learn everything from scratch back then and so far this was the first and last synth i made a skin or multiple ones for and also my own knobs (with KnobMan).
Ingo Weidner - Sound Design
HW: Blofeld, UltraNova, Pulse 2, BS2
SW: PPG 3.V, Largo, Icarus, Legend, Avenger, Saurus 2, Diva, Syn'X 2, Komplete 10, VC 5, KLC, many more..
i5-3350P / Win 10 x64 / Live 9 / Cubase Pro 9 / Studio One 3 / Bitwig 1 / PT 12.6
Teksonik
KVRAF

11276 posts since 15 Sep, 2001, from Las Vegas,USA

Postby Teksonik; Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:01 pm Re: Poly-Ana: Coming soon from Admiral Quality.

Ingonator wrote:Well he refused to add my skin to the website and we had LOTS of trouble about that (and also with some other members here...)

Yep and your skin still looks like a bad Synth Edit plugin but hey if it allows people who have ancient monitors (or eyes) to use Poly-Ana then I guess it's all good........ :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Teksonik
KVRAF

11276 posts since 15 Sep, 2001, from Las Vegas,USA

Postby Teksonik; Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:27 pm Re: Poly-Ana: Coming soon from Admiral Quality.

Anyway I urge everyone check out the Limeflavour skin (this screenshot shows a modified version, original version available at the Admiral Quality site). The .png conversion makes it look much less clear than it is in use.

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Ingonator
KVRAF

Postby Ingonator; Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:37 pm Re: Poly-Ana: Coming soon from Admiral Quality.

Teksonik wrote:
Ingonator wrote:Well he refused to add my skin to the website and we had LOTS of trouble about that (and also with some other members here...)

Yep and your skin still looks like a bad Synth Edit plugin but hey if it allows people who have ancient monitors (or eyes) to use Poly-Ana then I guess it's all good........ :tu:

Well, the 2D design was done with purpose which is why i called this skin "Flatland".
I never said that my skin is the best available while personally i prefer using this over most others (and further improvements might be possible).

Nobody else seemed to do a similar arrangement of the controls which i created new from scratch and also none of the other skins seems to be available in such a high resolution (width of 1500+ pixels) suitable for Full HD screens.
The knobs and button design was done by myself too. FWIW many of the labels are part of the knobs and not of the background image. The Knobman files (from JKnobman) were provided with the download so those could be modified if necessary.

Not to forget that when i did this i had just learned how to do skin and knob design and due to that the current result (which was not my first attempt) is not really bad IMO even if there is room for improvements.
Editing the XML file for the knob and button positions was one of the biggest PITA when doing my own arrangement of the controls. Endless fine tuning had to be done to adjust the knob positions (and i am sure that there are a bunch that still need some adjustments).
SW: PPG 3.V, Largo, Icarus, Legend, Avenger, Saurus 2, Diva, Syn'X 2, Komplete 10, VC 5, KLC, many more..
i5-3350P / Win 10 x64 / Live 9 / Cubase Pro 9 / Studio One 3 / Bitwig 1 / PT 12.6
rasmusklump
KVRian

679 posts since 13 May, 2004, from Germany

Postby rasmusklump; Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:05 pm Re: Poly-Ana: Coming soon from Admiral Quality.

+1 for the Limeflavour skins
kmonkey
KVRAF

3509 posts since 17 Aug, 2004

Postby kmonkey; Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:34 pm Re: Poly-Ana: Coming soon from Admiral Quality.

Jesus cluster f*** no wonder he was annoyed and eventually banned because people argued should he or not put their skins on his own website.

I bet he is laughing all the way reading this thread.

I recall this synth few years ago. I tried it and it did had something unique in sound - back then.

I'll try it again this weekend - thanks for reminding me this exist..
Aliens
KVRist

125 posts since 1 Oct, 2016, from DogGirlDon't

Postby Aliens; Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:55 pm Re: Poly-Ana: Coming soon from Admiral Quality.

I believe he was banned well before the skins/website thing ever happened, so no excuses for his actions to be found there.
And I don't think he's laughing, in fact he's desperately quoting posts praising PA here on his facebook front page, like it legitimises the product in some way to be connected to the site that banned him. That's a bit sad, not mirth inducing.
Ingonator
KVRAF

Postby Ingonator; Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:39 am Re: Poly-Ana: Coming soon from Admiral Quality.

kmonkey wrote:Jesus cluster f*** no wonder he was annoyed and eventually banned because people argued should he or not put their skins on his own website.

I recall this synth few years ago. I tried it and it did had something unique in sound - back then.

I'll try it again this weekend - thanks for reminding me this exist..

He was banned before the skins were supported in the plugin in v1.3.

If you have no clue what actually happened in the past maybe you should be more careful with your comments.

While in the past (before teh drama with the skins here at KVR) i always tried to help and support Mike from Admiral Quality I could just say that everything ended up that i do not want any communications with Mike from Admiral Quality and based on the last e-mails it's also the other way around. Anyway the trouble was not just with Mike but also with certain KVR members.

At the end i posted a download for my skin here at KVR at the "Banks & patches" page for Poly-Ana.
Last edited by Ingonator on Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
wagtunes
KVRAF

6912 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:48 am Re: Poly-Ana: Coming soon from Admiral Quality.

Well, after working with Ingo's skin (which is still the best of them all for readability) for an extended period of time, I found that my eyes started to tire working with this synth. The fonts are simply too small to work with for long periods of time. Again, too many controls on one screen is this synth's problem. Tabs would have saved it.

So sadly, I will be passing on buying this one unless I ultimately decide to buy it at the low price just to use as a preset player because it still sounds great.

One thing I can't seem to figure out, however, is the LFO. Pulling up the INIT patch, the mod wheel controls it by default (which makes sense) and it seems to be routed to one of the oscillators for a vibrato effect. When I remove the mod wheel routing, the LFO then is on all the time and I can't seem to find a way to turn it off other than crank the delay all the way up to 10, which doesn't turn it off but only delays it.

I have tried combing the entire interface trying to find where the LFO is routed to when it finally hit me. You simply can't find stuff on this synth. It's not because it's so complicated (I work with modulars) but because it's too small to see what's what. And the more I try to look, the more tired my eyes become.

In short, this is simply not an enjoyable synth to program at all. I don't have any clue what the developer was thinking when he made this monstrosity but it wasn't user friendliness, that's for sure.

Maybe 2.x will completely redo this train wreck of a layout but I'm not holding my breath on that.

Shame. One of the best sounding synths out there. And at $45 is an absolute steal. There is simply no synth in this price range that sounds as good.

Absolutely frustrating.
chk071
KVRAF

11421 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:02 am Re: Poly-Ana: Coming soon from Admiral Quality.

kmonkey wrote:Jesus cluster f*** no wonder he was annoyed and eventually banned because people argued should he or not put their skins on his own website.

Does that mean i have your agreement to insult you, and the KVR mods, because i don't agree with anything you wrote in your post? "Jeez cluster f***", the guy was banned for being insultive towards users and mods here, face it. And he also was one of the most upnosed, and autocratic developers i ever read here. Kudos for that, i guess.
rasmusklump
KVRian

679 posts since 13 May, 2004, from Germany

Postby rasmusklump; Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:02 am Re: Poly-Ana: Coming soon from Admiral Quality.

I thank god, that this synth does NOT have tabs but everything is visible.
chk071
KVRAF

Postby chk071; Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:07 am Re: Poly-Ana: Coming soon from Admiral Quality.

rasmusklump wrote:I thank god, that this synth does NOT have tabs but everything is visible.

Well, the downside is that you have a lot of cluster f*** in the GUI. :) Adding to that, the default GUI, as has been mentioned, is absolutely horrible, because it literally breaks any GUI design dogma there is. Lots of different controls, all very near to each other, fake 3D perspective, not a lot of contrast... i don't know where to start or to end really. It has taken a long time until he even made it skinnable, or could admit that there's something wrong with the original design. Great guy...
wagtunes
KVRAF

6912 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:10 am Re: Poly-Ana: Coming soon from Admiral Quality.

chk071 wrote:
rasmusklump wrote:I thank god, that this synth does NOT have tabs but everything is visible.

Well, the downside is that you have a lot of cluster f*** in the GUI. :) Adding to that, the default GUI, as has been mentioned, is absolutely horrible, because it literally breaks any GUI design dogma there is. Lots of different controls, all very near to each other, fake 3D perspective, not a lot of contrast... i don't know where to start or to end really. It has taken a long time until he even made it skinnable, or could admit that there's something wrong with the original design. Great guy...

Well, I don't know what kind of guy the dev is but the GUI is a train wreck. Reskinned, it's still a train wreck.

And it will continue to be a train wreck as long as there are 2,859 controls on one screen.
chk071
KVRAF

Postby chk071; Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:12 am Re: Poly-Ana: Coming soon from Admiral Quality.

wagtunes wrote:
chk071 wrote:

Well, I don't know what kind of guy the dev is but the GUI is a train wreck. Reskinned, it's still a train wreck.

And it will continue to be a train wreck as long as there are 2,859 controls on one screen.

Exactly.
Ingonator
KVRAF

Postby Ingonator; Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:18 am Re: Poly-Ana: Coming soon from Admiral Quality.

wagtunes wrote:One thing I can't seem to figure out, however, is the LFO. Pulling up the INIT patch, the mod wheel controls it by default (which makes sense) and it seems to be routed to one of the oscillators for a vibrato effect. When I remove the mod wheel routing, the LFO then is on all the time and I can't seem to find a way to turn it off other than crank the delay all the way up to 10, which doesn't turn it off but only delays it.

I have tried combing the entire interface trying to find where the LFO is routed to when it finally hit me. You simply can't find stuff on this synth. It's not because it's so complicated (I work with modulars) but because it's too small to see what's what. And the more I try to look, the more tired my eyes become.

Vibrato is done with the "FM" section in the Oscs (lower right in each of the oscillators). If Modwheel control is off it is normal that the vibrato works all the time.

With FM you also do Osc FM using all 3 Oscs as a source. Actually all mod sources seem to be available in most destinations. That way you could do audio rate modulation of many parameters (those wit ha "Mod-Source" available) including also Filter FM, audio rate PWM and/or waveform modulation (the Osc waveshapes are morphable).
By clicking on the Mod-Source like e.g. "ENV-1" (white tet on black background) you open a drop-down menu.

You could combine up to 4 sources in the two mod mixers (with "+" or "x" between them). The mixers are available as mod sources as "MIX-1" and "MIX-2".

The synth indeed has many parameters but once you learned what each of the controls does it is much more easy to program this. Each control/knob should also show a tooltip with a longer parameter name and a value if you hover over it with the mouse cursor or when adjusting the parameter.
The Tooltips must be switched on for this. The global options are opened by clicking at the "Admiral Quality Poly-Ana 1.3" logo (at teh lower left in my skin).

STRG+leftclick resets the bipolar parameters to 0 and/or the center.

The "Anti-aliasing" or "AA" parameter is new in v1.3 (in my skin at the lower right of the GUI at the "Quality" section) and should be usually activated (which AFAIK is not done in the presets yet).
Last edited by Ingonator on Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments