Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals
wagtunes
KVRAF

9636 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:23 am Re: Poly-Ana: Coming soon from Admiral Quality.

Well, I figured out the modulation system in this thing. I found where LFO is routed to the osc. Great. Clicked on the drop down box to select "none" and guess what?

There is no "none". Every osc MUST have a modulation of some kind.

What synth doesn't allow a modulation of none?

So if I want to use the mod wheel to, say, control filter cutoff, this action will also bring in the vibrato. If I remove the mod wheel from the LFO, the LFO is then on all the time. If I then try to remove the LFO from the osc routing, there is no way to remove it without putting some other modulation trigger in its place.

This is without a doubt the most borked modulation system I have ever seen.

What in God's name was this man thinking?

And go ahead. Pull up any patch in the library. Move the mod wheel. Every single patch that mod wheel is doing something to the LFO which in turn is doing something to an oscillator. It's like, "Sorry guys but this is what you're stuck with."

I am totally shaking my head on this one.

So now, I'm trying to figure out what modulation source to put in its place that won't have any effect whatsoever on the oscillator. So far I haven't found anything.

Something tells me I'm not going to.
Ingonator
KVRAF

11593 posts since 21 Mar, 2008, from Hannover, Germany

Postby Ingonator; Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:26 am Re: Poly-Ana: Coming soon from Admiral Quality.

wagtunes wrote:Well, I figured out the modulation system in this thing. I found where LFO is routed to the osc. Great. Clicked on the drop down box to select "none" and guess what?

The default source is "ENV-1". If you do not want modulation just set "Amount" to 0. Those are "Amount" knobs are bipolar and could be easily set to "OFF" (= 0) with STRG/CTRL+leftclick.

IMO there is no need to both set the amount to 0 and set the source to "OFF" (which is not available as you mentioned).
Ingo Weidner
HW: Blofeld, Pulse 2, UltraNova, Bass Station 2
SW: PPG 3.V, Largo, Nave, Icarus, Avenger, Serum, Legend, Saurus 2, Diva, Repro-5, VC 6, Komplete 10, many more
i5-3350P / Win 10 x64 / Live 9 / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Bitwig 2 / Studio One 3
wagtunes
KVRAF

Postby wagtunes; Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:32 am Re: Poly-Ana: Coming soon from Admiral Quality.

Ingonator wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Well, I figured out the modulation system in this thing. I found where LFO is routed to the osc. Great. Clicked on the drop down box to select "none" and guess what?

The default source is "ENV-1". If you do not want modulation just set "Amount" to 0. Those are "Amount" knobs are bipolar and could be easily set to "OFF" (= 0) with STRG/CTRL+leftclick.

Yes, I finally figured that out. The INIT patches, IMO, are set up with too many mod sources turned on. I want my INIT patches totally dry. I want to have to turn things on. I don't want to have to go into every INIT patch and turn things off.

But okay, now that I have this figured out (finding things in this chaos is not easy) at least I can work with the synth, albeit for only short periods of time. My feeling on the layout, even your incredibly improved one which at least makes this thing usable, is that there are still too many controls on one screen.

Just for the heck of it, I'm going to try your larger GUI even if it means I have to move the GUI around to get each section to fit when I work on it, kind of what I do with Spire and ImpOSCar 2, which are both too big for my screen.

I'll see if that's any better.
wagtunes
KVRAF

Postby wagtunes; Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:37 am Re: Poly-Ana: Coming soon from Admiral Quality.

Okay, I pulled up the 1500 display. That I can work with. I'm fine with moving the GUI around. I do it with other synths so it's something I'm used to. At least this I can read easily.

Now I'll definitely be picking this up.

Doesn't change my feeling on the "all controls on one screen" chaos. You know that outside of maybe Lush 101 (another synth I didn't get because of this same problem) there isn't one synth out there that has so much jammed into it all on one screen.

IMO, this was a bad design decision. I hope that this changes in version 2.
mcbpete
KVRian

793 posts since 24 Jun, 2006, from London, England

Postby mcbpete; Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:43 am Re: Poly-Ana: Coming soon from Admiral Quality.

wagtunes wrote:Just for the heck of it, I'm going to try your larger GUI even if it means I have to move the GUI around to get each section to fit when I work on it, kind of what I do with Spire and ImpOSCar 2, which are both too big for my screen..
There's two sized big GUIs so one should fit on your screen - I have 1920 x 1200 17'' laptop screen and the larger of the two fits entirely on the screen with a bit of space extra on all sides, and all text is easily readable.
zerocrossing
KVRAF

9071 posts since 26 Jun, 2006, from San Francisco Bay Area

Postby zerocrossing; Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:47 am Re: Poly-Ana: Coming soon from Admiral Quality.

rasmusklump wrote:ah, its troll time again.
No wonder the admiral freaked out here

I'm not trolling. Just calling it as I see it. My post was a reaction to someone saying that it doesn't alias. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

I was one of the early supporters of Poly-Ana, though the UI was always horrible. It was fine at the time of it's release, it just doesn't hold up to much of what's been developed since. He should probably be on version 3 by now and significantly increased the quality. I got my money's worth out of it, but I never use it any more. It just plain and simply doesn't sound that great, and even with the new skins, it's a horribly cluttered interface. Yeah, I guess he offers it up cheap now, but how broke are you that you can't afford something like Diva for $130 ($105 if you take his questioner) more? Just save up for a bit instead of wasting your cash on something that sucks by modern standards.

If you have and like Poly-Ana, go you. If you're honestly asking if you should spend $50 on it... I think you'd be better off using freeware and saving for a bit.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~
plexuss
KVRian

1455 posts since 8 Jul, 2009

Postby plexuss; Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:35 am Re: Poly-Ana: Coming soon from Admiral Quality.

I've been thinking about how I want to post about AQ/PA here. I have a sorted history with Mike. I don't want to get into it, but I know him personally and was, like many of you, a victim of his volatile personality. I will leave it at that.

In terms of Poly-ana however, I will disagree with zerocrossing in that, despite how fked up Mike is and how badly he treated me, I will still vouch for his product. and for $45, it's a no brainer really unless you have major issues with the GUI.

I have and use pretty much all the top end VA synths out there. Poly-ana still ranks up there with them in terms of sound. Yes there is some aliasing garbage in the high end on some patches but in general it's still got a very nice sound. Well worth $45US. I'd even say it's worth $100. more than that? I'm on the fence.

Just be careful with Mike - if you say anything to him that could even remotely be perceived as criticism, you risk enduring his wrath. He must be seething with some of the comments made here.

In terms of sales, it's actually a blessing to him that he was banned from KVR - if he was allowed to post, he'd be shooting himself in the foot as so many would be turned off by his crazy approach to people's criticism.

So long as you keep this in mind, you'll be fine with both the software and the dev. Tread lightly.
Teksonik
KVRAF

11760 posts since 15 Sep, 2001, from Las Vegas,USA

Postby Teksonik; Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:38 am Re: Poly-Ana: Coming soon from Admiral Quality.

zerocrossing wrote:I was one of the early supporters of Poly-Ana

Here's the point...the more copies of Poly-Ana that AQ sells the more likely you and I and all the other people who have owned PA for many years are to actually see a version 3. Does it guarantee further development ? No, but without monetary motivation and support PA will die and I think that would be a shame.

Is PA one of the best VA's available today ? No but it still has a character that I enjoy. One thing I have have found and no doubt this will be looked at as cheating but adding some nice Chorus, Delay, and Reverb to PA really helps a lot.

I already own DIVA, The Legend, luSH101 etc but I still find Poly-Ana fun to play and program patches for. I still say for $45 dollars it's a good buy but I can't argue with your advice to save up for DIVA etc.

So I say to everyone try the demo, if you like it buy it, if not don't. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Teksonik
KVRAF

11760 posts since 15 Sep, 2001, from Las Vegas,USA

Postby Teksonik; Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:47 am Re: Poly-Ana: Coming soon from Admiral Quality.

plexuss wrote:In terms of Poly-ana however, I will disagree with zerocrossing in that, despite how fked up Mike is and how badly he treated me, I will still vouch for his product. and for $45, it's a no brainer really unless you have major issues with the GUI.

I think we all need to separate our feelings for Mike and our feelings for Poly-Ana. It's possible to hate one and love the other.

I tried to help Mike at a time when he said he had nothing to eat and no rent money and he turned on me like a rabid dog. So it would be easy for me to say f**k him but I think he may have issues. He can be a really nice guy at times and a royal douche bag at others. I don't wish him any bad I just wish he could control his emotions.

But despite my feelings for Mike I still enjoy Poly-Ana and would like to see see it developed further. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
hivkorn
KVRAF

2410 posts since 6 Sep, 2007, from France

Postby hivkorn; Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:04 am Re: Poly-Ana: Coming soon from Admiral Quality.

very VERY good synth BUT

It took me 3 day to register it under OSX 10.12.3 !
I did the whole stuff via terminal !!!! Very bad time !

BUT
I'm very happy to have it working now :)
for this price it is a no brain deal
david.beholder
KVRian

1352 posts since 12 Sep, 2007

Postby david.beholder; Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:51 pm Re: Poly-Ana: Coming soon from Admiral Quality.

hivkorn wrote:even for this price it is no deal

Fixed it for you.

Considering history I advise people to keep away from Admiral Quality. Buy stuff with better UI from friendlier devs.
Last edited by david.beholder on Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Murderous duck!
chk071
KVRAF

13879 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:54 pm Re: Poly-Ana: Coming soon from Admiral Quality.

Seriously, you should refrain from advising people what they should do or not...
Good synths don't have a sweet spot. They ARE the sweet spot.
david.beholder
KVRian

1352 posts since 12 Sep, 2007

Postby david.beholder; Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:57 pm Re: Poly-Ana: Coming soon from Admiral Quality.

chk071 wrote:Seriously, you should refrain from advising people what they should do or not...

You are Hypocrite. And better refrain yourself from doing something that you're telling others not to do.
Last edited by david.beholder on Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Murderous duck!
AnX
KVRAF

2178 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Postby AnX; Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:18 pm Re: Poly-Ana: Coming soon from Admiral Quality.

Wasnt he on the verge of going broke? Big sales before he got banned to pay bills...?

He did himself no favours. I wouldnt pay $5 for anything of his.
Jace-BeOS
KVRAF

3949 posts since 7 Jan, 2005, from Corporate States of America

Postby Jace-BeOS; Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:21 pm Re: Poly-Ana: Coming soon from Admiral Quality.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that saw what that guy was like. I won't ever knowingly engage in business with such people. Unknowingly, it likely happens often. But once such people make their behavior known... This is why I'm all for developers NOT separating their business and social lives on the Internet ;-) I want to see what they're like.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments