most expressive synth??

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ive used a whole boatload of synths, I want some stuff that are very expressive and playable, i.e., do very different things according to velocity.. Ideally, there should also be mod wheel function for more then just filter/vibrato..

any suggesstions? Something that I can basically get a whole bunch of different sound out of just by using velocity, without having to tweak knobs.. very playable stuff..

symptohm melohman is kind of like what im looking for..

multisampled stuff is also alot better then most synths ive tried

Spectra is great for this. The modulation routings aren't infinitely flexible as some others, but most of the musically useful options are covered, which is what I think makes it so playable and easy to program.

One of the most unique things about it is that you can string together several waveforms on a timeline, so that they will morph together over time. Then you can modulate the speed of that timeline with velocity...then add the more traditional stuff, slowly open a filter with aftertouch, etc. Great stuff.

Here are several that come to mind:

1) Zebra2 - with 4 XY pads you can get pretty expressive.
2) Discovery - morphable layers. Nice lead synth.
3) Vertigo - morph between two sources. Resynthesis of wav files is very good.
4) Wusikstation - 6 different sources to layer and lots of modulation possibilities on top of that. Also has XY-pad.

Regards, Phil.

jplanet wrote:Spectra
Spectra? SPECTRA!?!? SPECTRAAA!!! FOR GOODNESS SAKES SOMEONE PROVIDE A LINK I'VE NEVER BEEN ABLE TO FIND ANY INFO ON THIS THING YET I'VE SEEN IT MENTIONED A FEW TIMES!!!!!!! [/caps] 8)

Architeuthis wrote:
jplanet wrote:Spectra
Spectra? SPECTRA!?!? SPECTRAAA!!! FOR GOODNESS SAKES SOMEONE PROVIDE A LINK I'VE NEVER BEEN ABLE TO FIND ANY INFO ON THIS THING YET I'VE SEEN IT MENTIONED A FEW TIMES!!!!!!! [/caps] 8)
Yeah, spectra sounds great and is so nice on the CPU.

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/2067.html

..what goes around comes around..

dubbyah wrote:Ive used a whole boatload of synths, I want some stuff that are very expressive and playable, i.e., do very different things according to velocity.. Ideally, there should also be mod wheel function for more then just filter/vibrato..
AAS Ultra Analog is the clear winner as far as I'm concerned, most expressive, and I mean easily tweakable expressiveness, synth I've ever tried. A bit too pricey for me, I've been trying to find something else as expressive and as good sounding as this one in a price I can afford but no go, maybe not too expensive for you?
No, that wasn't me.

What about Surge?

Architeuthis wrote:What about Surge?
I tried it, but this tone generator interface totally, and I do mean totally, confuse me. Does not invite me tweaking like UA, Toxic or Minimonsta does.
No, that wasn't me.

bullshark wrote:
Architeuthis wrote:What about Surge?
I tried it, but this tone generator interface totally, and I do mean totally, confuse me. Does not invite me tweaking like UA, Toxic or Minimonsta does.
Ah, it seems you like the classic architecture, yeah? When you have something like Surge... you should try understanding it before you give up.

Richman2 is designed to be playable, it has many velocity controlled parts and not just the obvious ones, also a wide variety of key-tracking routings, I feel that controllable keytracking is the unsung hero of the synth world, before I packed it all in I had plans for a synth with multiple graphical key track controls..

Other than that I think that you need any synth with a complex modulation matrix.. but look for modulation destinations other than the obvious ones (filter cutoff etc.)

Ultra Analog, String Studio, Tassman. I find these 3 very expressive to play. MOTU MX4 is incredible as far as modulation goes.
Image Image

Hmmmmmmm
Absynth.

OMU wrote:Hmmmmmmm
Absynth.
lol

Architeuthis wrote:
OMU wrote:Hmmmmmmm
Absynth.
lol
Maybe I should quote you here with a little change in wording?
Ah, it seems you like the classic architecture, yeah? When you have something like Absynth... you should try understanding it before you give up.
ew
A spectral heretic...

Return to “Instruments”