Kore Problems?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As I have been an avid NI user since I first started in computer music, I decided that the Kore system would be a nice, efficient way to organize and to control everything, not only in my studio but also on the road...IN THEORY...

So I waited until Jeff at SW delivered my Kore system on Thursday...I STILL have yet to use it...

I installed the 1.01 update (for Mac OS X) and I CANNOT get past the startup screens before I get a crash, either a Kernel Panic or a simple freeze with the ol' beachball... sometimes it happens during Plugin scanning sometimes before, sometimes after...

Unless I can get a quick fix, I'm gonna send the thing back. I bought it to make my life LESS complicated, NOT MORE< and so far I've wasted more time trying to get it to work than in songwriting, which is ALWAYS my measure of whether something is useful or not...

But I thought I'd ask all you smart ones out there about your experiences with Kore so far...I know it hasn't been out long, but hopefully at least some have been able to get it going...

Which OSX version? Are you using the controller on an internal or external hub? System specs?

I've been using KORE quite happily for a while, but I'm a PC user...

ew
A spectral heretic...

tell me about kore please

How easily can you assign vst parameters to the knobs for example

and does it have anything really handy like assignable lfo's or envelopes that can be assigned to the parameters

can the knobs to bea ssigned to different instances of kore ?

and how is the sound card ?

and the list is endless really
I believe every thread should devolve into character attacks and witch-burning. It really helps the discussion.

Never use something that is important for your setup if it comes out new... wait until it has got rid of its childhood deseases...!!!!

--th
I'm the stereo chancellor

and please don't tell me that it doesnt have latency compenstion or correctly report the latency to the host
I believe every thread should devolve into character attacks and witch-burning. It really helps the discussion.

ericj23 wrote:tell me about kore please
OK...
How easily can you assign vst parameters to the knobs for example
Very easily. When you load up a VST, the first 128 parameter IDs are mapped to the controller in eight pages. To modify the settings, you either copy a page to the user pages or make your own. After that, you right click on the controller in the KORE GUI, choose assign (clear the old assignment if there is one first), move the knob that you want to control on the synth GUI and click on the assign button. Done. You can route the same controller to multiple destinations in the same plugin.
and does it have anything really handy like assignable lfo's or envelopes that can be assigned to the parameters
Not yet- there's no internal MIDI routing at the present. It's planned for a future update.
can the knobs to bea ssigned to different instances of kore ?
When you're using KORE as a plugin, you have an option in the options menu that lets you step through the various instances.
and how is the sound card ?
I haven't had issues with it. The Mac drivers still aren't where they should be, and some people have USB noise when starting up their machines or coming out of standby.

As long as you have your USB latency set high enough (in the latest Windows driver version, there's settings for both USB latency and audio latency), you should be OK for the most part. I've found that the default 1ms USB latency's a little low; setting it to 2 or 3ms clears up any crackles or CPU issues on my 3500+. YMMV...
and the list is endless really
Well, I hope I've answered some of them :)

ew
A spectral heretic...

FWIW, apart from the startup noise (which will hopefully be adressed), Kore is behaving very well for a USB audio interface. I don't think I used a better one yet - in terms of drivers that is. There's not all that much CPU overhead either, compared to, say, my Indigo I/O.
I said so before, but this is going to become my new live guitar rigs "brain", including the audio portion of it. Oh, and I just fraking love the fact that I can keep my laptop enclosed in some rack caddy while Kore is doing all the job. Still need to buy some accessories next week and get all the cabling done (I'll be using some preamp and a looper/switcher in addition to include some of my favourite stomp boxes and a preamp), but I can't await doing the first gig with it. I'm sure it'll turn out just great.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

cheers ew- very informative - I hope i can bother you for a few more questions

firstly the latency compensation question is a very big one for me as I use 2 powercores - and that is not away to change

can i assign each of the 8 knobs to different instances without need to press anything - it would make a certain way of laying out send fx very appealing to me - this isn't a deal breaker tho - it would just be very nice

cheers

PS once youve assigned a controller how do you alter how much the controller affects it, it's polarity etc ?

Return to “Instruments”