Looking for a realtime sampler!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What i need is a very simple sampler that works with microphone and the internal inputs.

I know there are hundreds of sampleplayers out there, but i want something very quick and easy. I just want to press a rec button and it should map the sound automaticly to the keys of the sampler afterwards. I dont need any other features (ok, changing start/end of sample would be nice).

Anyone know of such a VSTI?

Does such a hardware sampler exist?

There are some options like Directwave or OneShotRecorder, or other specialized samplers like Liveslice or Zone Mobius or Loopyllama, or even something a bit bigger like Ableton Live, but what you describe sounds to me a bit far-fetched in its "do everything for me" factor.

shamann wrote:Does such a hardware sampler exist?
Yes most samplers i would guess, the first sampler i got (some 20 years ago) was a small Casio sampler keyboard, more of a toy perhaps but it did exactly this. And even the Roland 12-bit sampler i got later on did the mapping automaticly i believe.

There are some options like Directwave or OneShotRecorder, or other specialized samplers like Liveslice or Zone Mobius or Loopyllama, or even something a bit bigger like Ableton Live, but what you describe sounds to me a bit far-fetched in its "do everything for me" factor.
The only thing it should do is to lay out the sample on the keyboard after it's been recorded so you can work quick and try new things without hassle. Todays computers should be a couple of thousand times more advanced than the old toy casio-sampler i had so i cant see why it couldnt be done.

I'll check out Oneshotrecorder.. Directwave i have already tried.

Any VSTI developer reading this :P ? There seems to be a shortage of samplers that are simple and easy to work with, something to use when you wanna work fast, when improvising stuff. This record, import, map-stuff takes away much of the fun and creativity of sampling!

Sample _players_ has been done to death, samplers seems almost non-existant.

POwerrrrr of Hardwareeeee Sampleeeerrrrrr. i have a lot more fun using my Yamaha a5000 than kontakt. Record and automap pretty easy and fastttt And sound much better too imo.

I made this suggestion for DW...
check my profile for contact info.
msn messenger is my email as well.

explain this to me a bit and i'll code it for you.

so you want:

1) record / stop button
2) adjustment for the beginning and end of sample playback
3) display of the sample waveform on the gui
4) simple playback with basic resampling options (off/linear/spline)

input comes from vst input, output goes to vst output. control is via vst-midi.

anything else?
Last edited by aciddose on Thu May 25, 2006 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

aciddose wrote:explain this to me a bit and i'll code it for you.

so you want:

1) record / stop button
2) adjustment for the beginning and end of sample playback
3) display of the sample waveform on the gui
4) simple playback with basic resampling options (off/linear/spline)

input comes from vst input, output goes to vst output. control is via vst-midi.

anything else?
Wohoo! It would be great if you could also set it to automaticly stop the recording after a certain time, makes it even faster to work with when working with short sounds.

Good luck!!!!
Last edited by bemushroomed on Thu May 25, 2006 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

SUDDENLY AN ANGRY THREE HUNDRED POUND GORRILLA NAMED STEVE BALLMER JUMPS OUT OF THE TREES BANGING HIS CHEST AND ATTACKS!

(all hail the): DEVELOPER, DEVELOPER, DEVELOPER! DEVELOPER, DEVELOPER, DEVELOPER!!!

:D

it might be a few hours before i have anything reasonable, so go water the flower beds and mow the lawn or something :P

HOURS!?? I want it this instant!!!!! :cry: :hihi:

Take you time man, im not in a hurry.

dont get too excited, this is only the first step, it does absolutely nothing but display the gui and accept events/give info.

http://xhip.cjb.net/xhipsampler/
http://xhip.cjb.net/xhipsampler/sampler.dll
http://xhip.cjb.net/xhipsampler/sampler.png

i've gotten the code set up. it accepts midi events, processes them and generates lots of nothing for audio. the next step is to make it play a sample (i'll use something stupid, you'll like it) from midi input.

Groovy! i will check it out :)

Less is more!

Tried the demo, didnt like it, i would prefer something more straight forward. Couldnt get it to do what i wanted either, but i didnt read the whole PDF. It doesnt seem to be a sampler, it manipulates an audio track in realtime.

Return to “Instruments”