PPG Wave 2.v

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey K-V-Rists,

I recently emailed Glen Stegner of Voltkitchen fame-the masterminds behind MiniMogueVA & Arppe2600VA (both awesome knock-offs of the Mini-Moog & Arp, respectively) & requested a knock- off of the PPG Wave 2.V as well if possible. I said that I thought a price of $50-$70 USD would sound fair to pay if it where comparable to the original in looks, operation & sound.
(Meaning similar & ample presets) If this sounds like something that would be of interest please respond here, or better yet,email Glen at glen@glenstegner.com . Am I the LONE voice of PPG fans in the wilderness?? I hope not...

Since there already is a PPG plugin, would this even be legal?
"Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal." - Albert Einstein

As a fan of the PPG/Waldorf sound, I'd point you in the direction of ConcreteFX's very flexible Kubik

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/1223.html

and Steinberg's accurate PPG Wave 2.x emulation

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/81.html

STL's VAZ 2010 and VAZ Modular can also do the scanning wavetable thing, but are somewhat more expensive than the others. Worthwhile considering they're more flexible still.

I own the Kubik and PPG Wave 2.v and they are both wonderful machines. The PPG, obviuosly, is the one sounding most like the original (I have owned a PPG Wave 2.3 myself and a Waldorf Microwave XT building on the same principles) and the Kubik is taking wavetables even further.

If you love the sound of the PPG get the PPG Wave 2.v. It is the most accurate emulation. If you want something that takes the PPG concept further get Kubik.

Or .. well .. get both :-)

KennethA

he's going to love you for posting his email address openly on the forum, that won't generate spam at all, he's definately gonna be your best freind.

Just trying to get him a response directly/This could be a $$ maker for these guys at Voltkitchen. The PPG links are now toast....

gcsmoney wrote:This could be a $$ maker for these guys at Voltkitchen.
Don't they give their synths away for free?
"I drank what?"
Socrates

BTW: Waldorf seems to be offline!

jkotz wrote:
gcsmoney wrote:This could be a $$ maker for these guys at Voltkitchen.
Don't they give their synths away for free?
Yes, you are correct sir.... But I think they deserve a money making venture after the nice work they had done previously. They could finally get some $$ recognition, & I think fans of the PPG would be happy getting a good replica (which I feel confident they could reproduce) for half the price.

On the other hand, you do have five more fingers.....

Alan wrote:Since there already is a PPG plugin, would this even be legal?
I don't think so...A couple of companies out there covered the same software (NI vs Arturia, a couple versions of ARPS, etc) So I can't see why not.

24 hours to a day, 24 beers to a case-This is no coincidence....

If you want a nearly absolute replica, look here for something I did some time ago. I got a VST version in my drawer (on my computers, actually), but it isn't really ready for prime time yet (besides, it's a weird thing that presumably only appeals to hard-core PPG fans, so I don't see too big a market for it - it has exactly the same deficiencies as the original 8-)).
"Until you spread your wings, you'll have no idea how far you can walk." Image

arakula wrote:If you want a nearly absolute replica, look here for something I did some time ago. I got a VST version in my drawer (on my computers, actually), but it isn't really ready for prime time yet (besides, it's a weird thing that presumably only appeals to hard-core PPG fans, so I don't see too big a market for it - it has exactly the same deficiencies as the original 8-)).
arakula, you did that? I hate to ask, but I have lusted after a finished Waveterm C...whatever happened to it? I would love a Waveterm A to use with my 2.2, but I never see 'em for sale...

Oooh, if your VST version would be able to shuttle information back and forth with the real deal, i would be in My Blue Heaven... :love:
There are rocketships outside of my window. Really: www.cosmo.org
www.theelectronicgarden.com

Currently, I'm far too deeply involved in other things (VSTHost/SAVIHost, and a commercial derivate thereof that should make its debut in a new DAW sometime later this year), so Waveterm C is in sort of a dormant state. The hardware part... well, I don't know if it will really survive. With my V8.3 OS for the PPGs, you can do the same via MIDI (just a bit slower). And yes, this way you can exchange programs between the VST version and the real one, iff the host you're using allows SysEx transfer.

[Edit:] I've also created a little application that allows program transfer between the Waldorf PPG Wave 2.V and the "real" one, as good as this is possible (different parameter sets and parameter ranges); was even featured at the old Waldorf site... hey, it's still there... only works with V8.3 and a program like MidiOX that can send .syx files to an attached synthesizer.
Last edited by arakula on Fri May 26, 2006 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Until you spread your wings, you'll have no idea how far you can walk." Image

arakula wrote:With my V8.3 OS for the PPGs, you can do the same via MIDI (just a bit slower). And yes, this way you can exchange programs between the VST version and the real one, iff the host you're using allows SysEx transfer.
That's good to know! I won't hold my breath for Waveterm C, then. I do have 8.3 installed (that's the first thing I did after buying my 2.2...the fellow I got it from had purchased the 8.3 OS but never put it in there).

Thanks for the info!
There are rocketships outside of my window. Really: www.cosmo.org
www.theelectronicgarden.com

Return to “Instruments”