What do I need that I don't already have?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm looking at Albino 3, Blue, Rapture, maybe Vanguard, as well as the Biolabs Absynth Research Sounds vol. 1-6. Maybe some MIDI drum beats from Groove Monkee. I really have no idea. Do any of those fill some void in my current library? Maybe there is something else out there that I haven't yet considered?
Well, obviously I'm biased, but ... I reckon the Biolabs sounds are pretty different to the other stuff. However, I'd advise you to grab the 60 or so presets you can get for free (theres the Biolabs 1-3 demo set + extra TC patches, plus the Biolabs 4-6 demo set). Try playing with those and if you like em and they inspire you, consider getting the others, if not, get something else.
With that pile of instruments I'd get some sweet FX.. I'm getting the camel FX myself.
You could check out CamelSpace and CamelPhat and see if you like them. I find they're both pretty handy for inspiring me to write stuff and injecting a bit more fun into music making. Even if you don't get them, you might want to consider grabbing the newly released CamelCrusher multi effect, which is free.

Ben

My first choice would be Zebra 2, then in your case Albino 3.....I have to do some upgrades first. The camel-plugs I'd like to buy too, but.....no money left again.... .
"It dreamed itself along"

Well of course you have MUCH of good stuff. Like others said, a mic? Some fine cheap and good guitar:-)?

As you ask about software, you can always sell things you have if you got too much in some future.
Maybe all "advice" is nonsense after what you already got, but here we go....

I'd demo the following: (by the way my birthday is Wednesday, hope I am lucky and get such a gift like you too :hihi: )

- Jamstix (a nice addition to your drum-arsenal in case you want some intelligent drummer who plays with your midi- or audio-playing. Stylus and so can well be integrated in it...) Support is SUPERB.

- EnergyXT (well I am biased here because I like it and collected some FAQ/Tips and translated DarkSTar's beginner's manual into german for free - obviously nobody needs it, all speak english rather good enough :hihi: ) Just 39 Euro...a wonder for that...

- Cameleon5000: I love it, together with Rhino2 and Cronox3 something I wouldn't want to miss.

- Banchetto Musicale: a collection of "old" and strange and nowhere else to be found (well that's surely wrong, but I think in such a quality it would be difficult) instruments on a sample-CD, made for Kontakt and others, there's also a cheaper "Early Patches" CD, which I LOVE (and my girlfriend was muchly glad I could play her some tune with it, lion harp and old flutes and strings and drums, I think it brings a lot of fresh air into indie-music :), so maybe you'd want to try this too, there are a few demo-instruments for both).

- GURU from FXpansion: a kind of "beatbox", plus a great sampler-like unbelievable creativity-inspiring workhorse. Gets you up and running with everything you put into it, simply out of fun I'd highly recommend to test it.

- For FX I'd ask Dave Brown, the maker of "QuantumFX2" if he could get you a special birthday-price :hihi: . This is a huge collection of 50+ effects from "bread and butter" to "very creative" (of course, Reaktor can get you some of this, but then Reaktor could get you nearly anything if you knew how to do it :) ). The special thing here would be the workbench! You can - a bit easier like in Reaktor maybe? - build your own FX.

- If you'd like a special piano, I'd recommend 2: the ArtVista Grand piano is something with a wonderful warmth in it (or, err, how you'd like to call it), great, superbly made. I use to play much more piano since I got this, and maybe it's one of my all-time-favourites, Mr.Putte liked it too, if I remember right.
Then I heard for Kontakt2-owners you can get the AKOUSTIK PIANO, normally about 299 Euro, for half price until September, 10. There are 4 pianos in it, a Bechstein...a Boesendorfer...Steinway...the grands, and additionally some Steingräber piano I only hear great things about.

- If you want to be an orchestrator or beef up your compositions with solo orchestral instruments and more, there's the Garritan Personal Orchestra. I don't own it, just read about the online-courses at northernsounds here, but the mp3-examples are simply stunning for that price (199 Euro).

Well, I am in the position to think about getting RID of some VSTis, because I slightly was in the "support KVR-developers"-position too much:-)))), now being on a budget:-(.
You see, I'm not that far with my "get-rid-and-get-some-money-back"-project :hihi: .
I thought of using EnergyXT with all of the lovely freebies (Crystal, donationware-wonders like KarmaFX and Ziokiller's stuff Mr.Ray73 and so, Land of Cockaigne-Synths) and a few of my most beloved things.

So going that way you could buy some poor musicians who don't have any VSTi something...Okay, that is something that telling others is ridiculous, you might do it some time if you yourself think that would be great.

Arpeggio wrote:So, I have $200 of birthday money burning a hole in my pocket. I just don't know what to spend it on.

I currently have Live 5 (and Operator), Reaktor 5 (and Electronic Instruments 1 & 2), Absynth 3 (and Absynth Sounds 1), Kontakt 2 (and Kontakt Experience), Guitar Rig 2, Kore, Atmosphere, Trilogy, Stylus RMX, Korg Legacy Collection, MOTU Symphonic Instrument, Wusikstation 2, Drumkit from Hell 2, Reason 3, and Reason Drum Kits, as well as various hardware. While that is already probably too much, is there still something that I am missing - something that I just cannot live without, all for the low, low price of $200 or less? I enjoy making all kinds of music, from indie to metal to all forms of electronica to whatever.

I'm looking at Albino 3, Blue, Rapture, maybe Vanguard, as well as the Biolabs Absynth Research Sounds vol. 1-6. Maybe some MIDI drum beats from Groove Monkee. I really have no idea. Do any of those fill some void in my current library? Maybe there is something else out there that I haven't yet considered?
DUDE! You really don't need any new synths. Save your money for the booze and hookers. Another money hole could be a good EQ and a good compressor to actually mix your tracks you create with all that first class synth arsenal you already have.

Just don't buy any synths anymore. Learn to use what you already have.

fred-hal wrote:With that pile of instruments I'd get some sweet FX.. I'm getting the camel FX myself. :)
Good choice, Fred, good choice! :wink:

:lol:

Improv wrote:
fred-hal wrote:With that pile of instruments I'd get some sweet FX.. I'm getting the camel FX myself. :)
Good choice, Fred, good choice! :wink:

:lol:
:hihi: :tu:

Buy SynthStudio Pack 26.666666666 times

This would make me happy and you would be happy to know that I am happy.

No really, only buy if you need as you have a big enough rig already and if you are askin' you ain't needin'

kittens.

Thanks for the responses so far. I appreciate it. I know it's $50 more than what I was aiming for, but now I'm strongly considering GURU. I really do have enough synths, but I'm not sure if I have enough drums/beats. Stylus RMX is absolutely amazing, but I'm not sure it gives me the same flexibility, ease of use, and beat creation capabilities that I might be able to achieve with GURU. I think using both side by side might satisfy all my beat needs for a while. Any thoughts on GURU?

orphans
midgets
an exotic disease
talent
monkeys

oh, a world of choice.. ye of little imagination :roll:

How about an orphaned midget monkey with a talent for spreading exotic diseases?

If you "get" the beat box milieu, GURU is grand stuff. Comes with a heap of content. Any of the Camel products would be fine choices too. If you feel short on synths I'd recommend the GMedia Future Retro bundle or one of the great analog emus by Arturia. (You might want to put the GMedia on your wish list for next time.) If you like organic, living sounds it's worth looking into Applied Acoustic Systems' physical modelling synths. And Blue would cure your lack of presets named after me (Meffy Bass).

Jason Brian Merrill wrote:save your money ;)
The best advice i've read in topics like this!
You didn't mention your controlling equipment..don't tell me tha you have all these things and you play them with computers keyboard or with MS-20 controller from Korg Legacy?So if you haven't got a good controller, buy M-Audio's AXIOM!!!It's the best i have tested.These controllers are platinum in comparison to Novation's (cheap plastic) remotes which many people praise..otherwise you can still save your money as Jason wrote...
It's more fun to compute..

PHATSPACE for sure.. imo I'd forget 'needing' a ton of different synths and sound generators.. look at effects more.. camelphat and camelspace.. very nice effects plugins.

second i'd look at the psp effects.. and the ohmforce effects.. and the voxengo effects.. mm so many choices :love:

Return to “Instruments”