so i take it from various threads, arturia brass is a.....

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ttoz wrote:i know but it's always in brass vst's. and you also know THAT!
Yeah, I know. Still drives me nuts, like an itchy ear.
dr. orange v2.0 wrote:
shamann wrote:A saxophone is not a brass instrument, it is a woodwind.
hahaha. really?
are you serious?' :shock:
Woodwinds are so named because of the reeds used on the mouthpieces. Brass instruments (trumpets, french horns, tubas, etc) have metal circular mouthpieces. Saxophones use reeds.

That is correct, a saxophone is a reed instrument, therefore it is in the woodwind category.

I have yet to find a good sax vsti - I would probably, myself, hire a sax player for an important gig.

Is there any sax vsti's under $100 that are any good whatsoever?

Ok, here's the cure: Play in some cover band for years (oh, yes...). Have a sax player in that band. As it's the only horn, he/she won't play any section stuff (ok, I can forgive that, as he/she is the only horn). What will the sax players job be then? Right on: NOODLING! On EACH AND f**king EVERY TUNE, EVEN IF IT'S A STRAIGHT GUITAR ROCK THING!
As said, do this for a couple of years and you will NEVER want any saxophone again! I love highblowin' salsa trumpets. I also dig trombone choires. Heck, give me a flute orchestra. But f**k saxophones! They won't find any sweet spot in my music ever again.
Oh yeah, sax players get all the chicks... let them! At least they will shut up for a while then!
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

What's the matter Sascha? Sax player got your girlfriend? :hihi:
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

Be kinda hard to do the mello sax jazz or blues thing without em. KennyG would not like you very much and David Sanborn may just piss on you.

Mike

ben_horwood wrote:What's the matter Sascha? Sax player got your girlfriend? :hihi:
Seriously: I don't hate sax players. Actually, I'm playing with a rather great one in some groove jazz band project.
But still, when you hear around 50 sax solos on an evening (whilc playing some more or less horrible commercial jobs, which is quite a pain already...), with additional ad libs in each and every song, you just don't think about adding any saxophones to your own music any more.
Oh well, I still love a nice horn section.

Sascha is right. I'm a trumpeter who added sax playing about 10+ years ago cause everyone was complaining about the sax players around saying exactly what Sascha is saying. The sax players were like little musical terrorists, they didnt wanna learn the songs beginnings or endings or form they just wanna solo.

within a couple years of starting i was taking gigs away from much better players simply cause i wont noodle around. ill take solos, yes, but when the solo is done i stfu unless told otherwise, thats what seems beyond some of these guys.

if you wanted me to play some sax id be up for it, i just did a thing for gregjazz so he can be my referral.

And don't even remind me of the jazz sessions I've been taking part in during studying... There's always been like 5-6 sax players queuing, all waiting to play another 8916 chorusses over "Blues For Alice". Instead of splitting the solo jobs up between tunes, we (the backing band chimps) had to play a jazz blues for half an hour - just to face the soloists worried faces should you ever try to go into halftime or (heaven forbid!) alter a few chords. Quite the musical experience...

Don't remind you? You brought it up in the first place......sheesh

I reiveiwed First Call Horns awhile back for Recording Magazine. It's actually pretty darn good.

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

What about Candy? Dongled, of course.
Image Image

DevonB,
Could you post a link to your review? I would like to read it. I may be looking for good horns too.
Thanks,
G.
There is geometry in the humming of the strings, there is music in the spacing of the spheres. Pythagoras

One good choice could be project sam "SAM ORCHESTRAL BRASS "
http://www.projectsam.com/libraries_ext_05.html
Organising a protest march this Friday Schlesische Strasse 28 ,10997 Berlin, Germany

Garritan is excellent and probably best. I use and have mentioned Edirol Orchestral before and I stand by the quality and realism of their sounds. Plus all the sounds are completely modifiable and editable, which makes a big difference to me. I think Garritan is probably better, but I got Orchestral HQ-OR before Garritan was available and I'm very happy with it.

I need some great sax too. Been much too long.

Return to “Instruments”