OTTO: "Genre defining" - Jeff Rona interview

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

By no means a criticism - just an observation and a request to have a player free version... no biggie really. If I want to play the electric guitar - I have to know how to play it - have a guitar with the required number of strings - electricity - and an amp.

If I want to play OTTO I have to buy it :hihi: and install all the files needed to play it. No worries! Now that I know this is the way it is Im quite looking forward to picking it up :hyper: (after more audio demos of course!)

Dave

Hi Mckenic, and everyone else. I have a really cool demo Kathie Talbot did using OTTO. She is one of the FN clients ( we are also a mgmt. co.). Email me here info@fixednoise.com and I'll send it over. We need to get more made for sure. We also need to get this one up on the site!

:tu:

mckenic wrote::tu:
you have mail. :D

zircon wrote:I love how so many people are on this guy's case when COUNTLESS other products - like, say, everything released by East West, Zero-G, and Quantum Leap in recent times as well as most new products from Garritan and Big Fish Audio - do the exact same thing (Kompakt/K2 player). Quit complaining and focus on the product. If you're going to criticize the developer for his decision for using a bundled player then you have to criticize every other developer that does the same things (this also includes all new Spectrasonics VIs, the VSL instrument, MOTU, Sonic Reality, etc etc).
Totally agreed - I think it's silly in every case. But actually I would probably never buy any of those libraries even if they were available as raw samples, and the people that would buy that stuff probably don't mind using a bundled player, as they are probably mostly concerned with how the entire package (including presets, programming, etc.) sounds. So I can't accurately say that these guys are making a poor business decision, it might work out really well for them.

I think the reason there is such a strong response on this thread is that for a select few people, sample libraries which are tied to bundled players have long been annoying but there hasn't been anybody convenient to complain to. So David shows up here to do a little promo, and everybody speaks up at once.

The other difference I think is that OTTO is a sort of different kind of library from some of the orchestral libraries and that sort of thing because the content was created around a genre which is basically built around a lot of deep editing, tweaking, and a DIY spirit. So it seems sort of against the spirit of this library to keep it locked up like it is. In reality, I think most customers will still be using this for the same kind of work that somebody would use something like VSL for - film scores, multimedia production, etc. so it probably doesn't matter because that's a very different style of production with different aims.

Return to “Instruments”