AU to VST Wrapper??

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am looking for a AU to VST wrapper and I can't seem to find one at all. I recently bought a Mac Pro and Cubase 4 and would like to use some Audio Unit plugins. Camel Audio came out with two and Cakewalk came out with Rapture UB, but it's only AU. Is their talk about a AU to VST wrapper, has this idea been canned for a while? I don't understand why they make a VST to RTAS, and VST to AU wrapper, but not AU to VST. What's the problem?

no that only has a VST to AU wrapper :( and I don't think they made a UB version yet :( :(

Shawn Oates wrote:I don't understand why they make a VST to RTAS, and VST to AU wrapper, but not AU to VST. What's the problem?
It's probably due to a lack of market. I believe the the heavy-weights DAWs in the Mac market are PT, DP, Logic and then there's Live that can use both and finally Cubase that uses only VST. My guess is they're targeting the most popular, first and then following with VST versions. With the new VST SDK and the UB stuff being new; I don't doubt that it's not an easy switch. I mean, IK isn't coming out with UB versions of their stuff until 2007. NI is delayed; as are others.

No offense or anything... I just think it's a year of transition for Macs (again). My guess is it won't be until 1stQ 2007 that all our plugs are both UB and AU/VST. Some might not even bother with VST for Mac. Or you can do like I did and run a Windows DAW on a Mac. The best of both worlds. :)

Cheers.
Welcome to KVR, where the PC vs. Mac debate never ends.

Think about getting Logic. It's now made by Apple and will always be optimized for mac. I've used Cubase as well and feel Logic is superior in a few ways. One being that AUs are much more stable and use less CPU cycles than VSTs. VST -> AU may not make much sense if it effects the stability of the plug-in. And although I have tons of AUs, with the instruments and effects Logic contains, you may not need many others. And yes, the VST -> AU wrapper works with UB. Also, at least the Camel Audio plugs have both mac VST and AUs. Isn't this the case with most companies?

jazzbert1 wrote:Think about getting Logic. It's now made by Apple and will always be optimized for mac. I've used Cubase as well and feel Logic is superior in a few ways. One being that AUs are much more stable and use less CPU cycles than VSTs. VST -> AU may not make much sense if it effects the stability of the plug-in. And although I have tons of AUs, with the instruments and effects Logic contains, you may not need many others. And yes, the VST -> AU wrapper works with UB. Also, at least the Camel Audio plugs have both mac VST and AUs. Isn't this the case with most companies?
Probably most. I know of a few AUs that aren't VSTs (automat, for instance). AUs work very well in DP, too. I tried not to mix AUs and VSTs in Live. You're right, most companies do have both but there's the added UB compatibility that's added to headache.
Welcome to KVR, where the PC vs. Mac debate never ends.

KORE will do that, but it's an expensive solution for just wrapping. And of course, your plugs will still have to be UB in order for them to run...

ew
A spectral heretic...

no that only has a VST to AU wrapper and I don't think they made a UB version yet
Actually it is UB now, but there aren't many UB VSTs just yet, and most of those are also AUs. The main reason we did the UB was to make it easier for people to bring their existing songs (using VSTs) to MacIntel, and because our licensees needed it.
This account is dormant, I am no longer employed by FXpansion / ROLI.

Find me on LinkedIn or elsewhere if you need to get in touch.

I wish Orca was AU :)

Return to “Instruments”