Battery 3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Has anyone checked out Battery 3?

Looks nice.

womoma wrote:Has anyone checked out Battery 3?

Looks nice.
It's almost worth it for just the lib.

But, to answer your question- NO. I have v1, and it suits my needs. Although, v2 added the compressors, and the v3 lib is worth the price alone.

More cells; better GUI; big lib...it's inevitable- just a matter of timing.

I've got it. As was said, the library's worth the price alone; there's some wonderful kits in there. Add in the articulation menu, the master effects (the convolution reverb's very good) and the rest, and I think it's a no brainer.

ew
A spectral heretic...

ew wrote:I've got it. As was said, the library's worth the price alone; there's some wonderful kits in there. Add in the articulation menu, the master effects (the convolution reverb's very good) and the rest, and I think it's a no brainer.

ew
Are the kits comprised from the Studio Drums pack? (just curious, as I have them; would love more of the same- they're fab!)

Regardless, it's defintiely appealing. If I go out to buy drum samples, it's going to cost more than the sampler, and NI has gotten pretty good on the sampling side- much better than the v1 stuff, of course.

G&L_player wrote: Are the kits comprised from the Studio Drums pack? (just curious, as I have them; would love more of the same- they're fab!)
Nope...

ew
A spectral heretic...

ew wrote:
G&L_player wrote: Are the kits comprised from the Studio Drums pack? (just curious, as I have them; would love more of the same- they're fab!)
Nope...

ew
Sold.

Thanks, very kindly for the info. :D

is it stable? I would get it except i keep hearing bad news in the cubase forums (for cubase 4).

racemize wrote:is it stable? I would get it except i keep hearing bad news in the cubase forums (for cubase 4).
the release version had a bug that affected some systems (it was cross platform and host independent). The 3.0.1 update fixed the issues for most users.

It's never crashed on me, but I'm not a Cubase user (Live and Sonar here).

ew
A spectral heretic...

just watched the video on the NI site.

very impressed.

i like the idea of processing indivual cells within battery, then saving the kit, especially putting a bit of reverb on a snare without having to go into routing in the host.

.. oki, here goes my question:

i have a long file with me playing "drums" with my fingers on the table.
now i want Battery 3 to slice it up and make a drumset out of it.
when i import the file and try to activate the "beat mode", it says: "beatmode is not supported with this audiofile. please add a loop containing timing information"

so, what to do?

cheers,
putters

i reeaallyyy wanted to be able to add reverb and delay to each cell separately... i am alittle dissapointed.. i mean my host has a great master effect section already... i wanted to bypass tedious operation of running multi outs and inserting all effects into my hosts effect sends..... damn it!!!!!!

I have been looking at it too, with great interest.

Demos sound a bit boomy to me, but since you are supposed to be able to adjust 5 mikings on each I guess you can address that.

Anybody that know if it's worth the trouble to play from an electronic drum unit and pads etc?

I am thinking about hihats in particular, if they are mapped with different openness on the A#-key, to be able to adjust it dynamically.

Can you make drum rolls without machinegun effect, straight up, or do you need to remap the special samples with rolls on?

Really curious about this.

Thanks.

anothercomposer wrote:i reeaallyyy wanted to be able to add reverb and delay to each cell separately...
You have separate send levels for each cell. A separate reverb or reverb for each cell would drive the CPU usage way up.
lfm wrote:I am thinking about hihats in particular, if they are mapped with different openness on the A#-key, to be able to adjust it dynamically.
Yep, you can do that.
Can you make drum rolls without machinegun effect, straight up, or do you need to remap the special samples with rolls on?
Yep- voice groups are your friends. You can set the number of voices sounding in a particular group, and also the amount of overlap between voices. By playing with your voice groups, you can get rid of the machinegun effect rather easily.

ew
A spectral heretic...

when i import the file and try to activate the "beat mode", it says: "beatmode is not supported with this audiofile. please add a loop containing timing information"
"Easily preview, sync and load sliced-loop formats, such as Apple Loops, Recycle 1 and 2, BeatCreator and Acid Waves....While most other samplers only support one beat loop format, BATTERY 3 supports all 4 major formats, granting you access to a universeof loops from other sound manufacturers."

i think this is a real shame.

j

I'm testing it right now, and as usual, it's a love hate thing.
I love everything they added, and i hate everything they didn't add, probably on purpose.

Like why in hell are all the articulations (the whole setup page actually) unavailable for modulation/automation ? you can tweak a param with the mouse while the sound is running, so it's definitely possible.
There has always been tons of annoying things like this in battery, and to my eyes it's like the devs are holding back to save themselves stuff to add in future updates or something...

Well enough of the rant, the software is great nonetheless, it just seems they don't want to make it perfect (for now...).

Return to “Instruments”