Am I the only one ...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i click your sig.

system20 wrote:... why sell 100 synths at $100.00 each and that's it...where I am willing to bet if you sold that same $100.00 synth
for $50.00 I bet the sales would triple...I may be way off
base on that..cos I am no dev...but take Wusikstation..remember when it went up for sale for $9.95..or something like that..I didn't even think twice about pulling out my card...now...the wusikstation V.1 probably didn't sell
that much at that point, cos there were alot of people that payed full price for it and thus didn;t need it...but imnagine if the original price was just $9.95...I wonder how many would have sold versus the $100.00 price tag ( was it originally $ 100.00 ?? ) I may be mistaking on that..but anyway, you get my point.

I bought my first synth from the KVR environment for $29US. That was JunoX. I did not consider it in the same league as Pro53, but there was also a big price difference. I enjoyed JunoX and it gave me more than $29 in enjoyment. Times were different then. 256 presets were a lot to get with a synth and you bought more synths to expand sound. Now a single synth may come with 1500+ patches. When you get a few of those you spend more time trying to explore what you have rather than looking for more instruments.
All I need to be happy is one more VSTi.

Rabid wrote:Soon they will give us software for free just for a chance to charge us for upgrades in the future.
I think upgrades should always be free.

I still remember how pissed I was when I bought FL3 deluxe and then like a month later FL Studio came out. Even though ImageLine had promised free upgrades for life, they got around that with a simple f**king product name change. THAT was absolute bullshit.

But I still love FL, and I still agree with your philosophy.

----Back to the original topic, if only for this post, I agree. I am always amused and amazed to see how much new gets mentioned/released/updated in any given month on K-v-R, or Harmony Central, or wherever. There is a huge glut of some things now, and yet still a lack of others. And there's always something new to be done, and someone with a buck/pound/euro to buy it. :)

Jeff

Don't know about the other synths here, but I'm a little irked at say Orion for instance. These 'upgrades' which offer new synths, FX, samples, and some bug fixes at a nominal cost, that's great... But for all the bells and whistles going into Orion, some of the most basic things aboard are going goofy? Hence we all have to crab and cry at Synapse for yet another update to fix the update we just paid for. :roll:
So I would hope that most synth/FX/Host dev's these day's - free or payware are avoiding this scenario. But, as said - with umpteen updates coming out for this that and the other thing... I tend not to think so?

But then it's like walking in a music store 20 years ago, and saying to the sales rep. "I know nothing about electronic music, but would like the best..." And the sales eyes light up, and he says "Weeeeell, let's have a looky at this Casio PT-2000!"
You'd really like to go back to the store 6 months to a year later and kick the crap out of the doofus sales guy for talking you into buyng it... But maybe there's something you can get for it? To make it sound better? "Weeeeell, let's have a looky at this Zoom Rythem King. Currently at $295, but seeing how you're a return customer, I can let you have it for $199 how be...?" And 6 months later - you REALLY want to let that A-hole have it! :tantrum:

But are dev's today doing the 'flim flam scams' of 20 years ago - consumer, mid-level, pro-audio? The sad thing is, no. Testing the boundries for virtual perfection, yes. But it's starting to look like 'flim flam scams' to many here and abroad. No sooner is the 'Great Synth 9.9' finally done and working well for a user... "Hey everyone! BuckFutter Inc. just came out with 'Great Synth II', and at twice the cost of the original!!!

And a week after that 'Great Synth II 1.2'... :bang:

If somethings here, and no one talks about it, and there hasn't been a upgrade since March 2005 - THAT'S the one I'm going for! ;)

Return to “Instruments”