Could really use some help in choosing a virtual instrument

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I use a lot Hypersonic it's a pro virt synt!Try it and u'll like it! :wink: http://www.tecquilarecordings.be

Debutante wrote:In 3 or 4 years you probably won't even need to depend on other peoples' sounds. This electronic approach is extremely slow, so if you're patient, in a couple of years you should be laughing all over Absynth, and that kind of self-dependance is really priceless.
3-4 years? Becoming an expert in synthesis? Well, here is someone who wants input on what he can do now and whether he should get Atmosphere or not. I say work, save, beg, do whatever it takes but get the instruments that ignite your passion. Life is too short to work with the wrong VSTs.

FrankT wrote:
Debutante wrote:In 3 or 4 years you probably won't even need to depend on other peoples' sounds. This electronic approach is extremely slow, so if you're patient, in a couple of years you should be laughing all over Absynth, and that kind of self-dependance is really priceless.
3-4 years? Becoming an expert in synthesis? Well, here is someone who wants input on what he can do now and whether he should get Atmosphere or not. I say work, save, beg, do whatever it takes but get the instruments that ignite your passion. Life is too short to work with the wrong VSTs.
Don't get sucked into this kind of thinking. Debutante is on the right track. You would be doing yourself a disservice right now by making Atmo your first synth. It is a "highly specialized" synth and although you will love the sounds, you will soon be looking for something else. Hey if your thing is ambient music then maybe, but I heard you say drums and many kind of sounds. Atmo is pads and a few bass patches...granted, they are some of the best patches I've heard from a software synth, but as some have said, school yourself in synthesis. It means you have to find out what the knobs do, write some music and when you get an idea of where you are going, then you can spend a wad on some high end synths.

Trust me, I know, I've seen it, I've experienced it. Get all the freebe's, use the synths in FL, spend a little money on a good drum kit and go from there.

Getting Atmo at your stage with your experience is like getting new tires for the car you can't yet afford. Have patience. You need to love the process.
Cheers,
dano
"In a sky full of people, only some want to fly,
Isn’t that crazy?"

I started out new to this scene about a year ago. I do soft synths only, no audio. I started with FL Studio XXL and I still think it's one of the best out there. It comes with some good starter synths (i.e. easy to learn and program) and one great one: Sytrus -- among the best FM synths out there. Also, FPC is a good drum synth that comes in FL Studio. Since you have apparently tried other hosts, and you found FL to meet your 'character', go with it. All the hosts are different and you need to find the one that fits your style of creativity. I would recommend you start with FL and learn it well. It will do everything (and more) you ask of it. Also, FL is coming out with a new Version 7 that should have some nice new additions -- see their site. FL offers free updates for 'life' -- something not offered by the 'big' guys. (I also purchased Project 5 V2 which I also like and use along with FL. Cakewalk is coming out with a free update of Project 5 (V2.5) that should have some major improvements. -- Both of these programs are excellent for working with soft synths).

The advice about freeware is good advice. There are lots of instruments and plug-ins to be found here that will do the job admirably for you. It may take some time, but there's a huge variety of sounds and effects out there and you'll need to listen to them to learn what sound fits your style (e.g. to name only a few instruments that comes to mind: Crystal, Oatmeal, STS-24,Purple, Richman2, MinimogueVA, etc). Then, as you develop your skills, you can investigate the commercial software and start throwing away your hard earned money like the rest of us.

As far as commercial programs go, I think the "Korg Legacy DE" (Korg M1 and Wavestation) will be a good investment for you. The two syths have a huge variety of sounds (literally thousands of presets), easy to work with, comes with a good set of effects you can use elsewhere, and it's only $149 -- I think a 'steal' for such a powerful software synth. Try out the demos at the Korg site. (Other reasonably priced possibilities with a wide variety of sounds: Wusikstation, Dimension Pro)

A good package: FL Studio with it's excellent synths, Korg Legacy DE, a variety of freeware synths and effects, a decent sound card (M-Audio 2496?), a good pair of bi-amped nearfield monitors,a keyboard ... and you're on your way.
"It was not down on any map; true places never are." Ishmael

Ok, so it sounds like I should just try and learn how these things work. Is there some kind of tutorial file that can walk me through what all of the knobs mean on one of these things?

Go to the FL Studio site. They have video tutorials and complete reference materials for how to use the program. There are also links to other sites that have tutorials.
"It was not down on any map; true places never are." Ishmael

I'm surprised Bone's didn't try to sell you on Orion Platinum? Gret host, with a plethora of synths, samplers, and FX on board. Ultran could and should be miles ahead of Wusikstation IMHO, and still has the potential. Toxic III is a powerhouse FM synth, WaveFusion for all your digital sounds, right down to Wasp and Screamer for your Arp'y and MS20 analog sounds. Great and unique organic samples of guitars and basses that can't be found elsewhere, plus a myriad of analog, digital, and percussion samples abound for it as well. I think Orion's interface is the most intuitive for beginners to pro's, and is able to accomedate many music styles and formats quite easily. Be it a Musique Concrete studio, to just a simple multitracker for a 4 piece band - Orion's got it all right there. ;)

But, I can see that FL has a much better instructional base. Something Orion is sorely lacking on. Great community and built in tutorial songs - but if you don't know what you're looking at to begin with, you probably won't be able to ask the questions to help you. :( But if you get seasoned with FL, I'd certainly give Orion a look down the road to progress with. 8)

mike1123 wrote:Ok, so it sounds like I should just try and learn how these things work. Is there some kind of tutorial file that can walk me through what all of the knobs mean on one of these things?
Sound on Sound had an excellent series called synth secrets

mike1123 wrote:Sooner or later I'll learn, probably when I buy one of these things.
What makes you think you'll learn when you buy one of these things? If you don't have the motivation now, why do you have to spend money to get motivated? Not trying to be snotty, but think about what you said. You're best to learn on synths that have very few knobs to start, and there are a lot of freebies that are light on features, which is good. You'll find out if you dont' learn, you'll have a hard time gluing sounds together to make them sound like they fit if you have no idea how to tweak sounds or effects.

The reason why you don't like the synths you listed is because you're not applying loads of effects like you're used to with the things you like (DimPro for example.) Start playing with the freebies AND some effects, you'll start to change your mind. ;)

Devon
Last edited by DevonB on Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

danielmm wrote: In order for you to choose, you really need to know where you are going. Don't get sucked into gear envy...lots of us have lost our way going down that road. Just a thought.
dano
A lot of us got sucked in when there WERE no freebies too. :?

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

I learned a lot of the basics from Computer Music magazine. There are some decent articles on their website.

www.computermusic.co.uk

Has nobody mentioned Crystal? The total ambient synth, there's no investment just some time to learn it. Whatever host you decide to use *coughenergyxtcough* I think you will enjoy Crystal, you could use some samples (simple soundfont handling) in it as well as the many base waveforms that give a wide range of sound.

Surprised noone has mentioned Reaktor 5.

QuadraSID is one of my favorites. There was talk of OctoSID a while ago. I am not sure what has happened with it.

markdeaton wrote:Surprised noone has mentioned Reaktor 5.
I don't use reaktor, but now that you mention it, back in the if-you-could-only-use-one-vsti-what-would-it-be thread it was kinda the hands down winner.
If every KVR member wrote one review a year we'd have 1340 reviews each day!

Return to “Instruments”