What VSTi's still don't work at 96 kHz?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm considering moving to recording at 96 kHz (for reasons too many to list here).

I remember trying this once before and having SampleTank 2 *NOT* work at 96 kHz, and I'm guessing that's still the case.

What other VSTi's (or effects, for that matter) won't work at 96 kHz? Anyone aware of others besides ST2? I just want to know how much of a headache I may be in for.

-Mike
Asus P5W DH Deluxe | Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 | CORSAIR XMS2 4GB DDR2 800 | EVGA GeForce 8800GT KO 512MB | Thermaltake ToughPower 750W PSU | RME Fireface 800 | UAD-2 Duo | Cubase 4.2 |

why don't you just switch to 96kHz and see which of yours work and which will not work.... should be faster then for us to guess which VSTis you have - I guess

Maybe he was asking others who have tried to work at 96khz and found that some of their vsti's didn't work....to comment on which ones

Yes, I could go through them all (I have tons, so it would be no small task).

But I figured a little publicity on the subject would also encourage the offending developers to make their VSTi's 96k compatible.

If the thread idea bothers you, feel free to ignore it. :)
Asus P5W DH Deluxe | Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 | CORSAIR XMS2 4GB DDR2 800 | EVGA GeForce 8800GT KO 512MB | Thermaltake ToughPower 750W PSU | RME Fireface 800 | UAD-2 Duo | Cubase 4.2 |

Might be worth considering it from the other angle as well - which synths benefit the most from 96k? Some already have oversampling (like Sytrus and FM8) while others sound best when they are allowed to alias a bit or sound too different at 96k. On Creamware systems for example its well known that Vectron (a Prophet VS clone) can sound a lot smoother at 96k but that's not always what you want from a synth that is supposed to sound quite digital and some even downsample it to 32k which actually brings it closer to the original sound apparently.

Sorry, but I'm really curious why you think you need to record ultrasonics. Care to share a few of your many reasons?

If I wanted to record someting at 96/24 I don't think I'd trust any of my VSTs with that signal. Do you really trust the designers to handle the math correctly?

DSP algorithms require repeated precision calculations to perform filtering, equalization, compression, and expansion, and the end number might not resemble the right product at all, unless adequate precision is maintained. So how well are your plug-ins able to handle expanding word lengths and perform double and triple precision calculations, which slows them down and complicates the whole process? Do their designers truly appreciate how truncating, rounding, and filter rolloffs affect sound quality and quantization distortion?
Max Hodges
Publisher
White Rabbit Press
www.whiterabbitpress.com

There are two rules for success in life.
First, never tell anyone all that you know.

Did someone just hear the sound of trousers unzipping?

i've tested the majority of my vst's at 96k, so if any don't work let me know. soundkill hi_fi actually won't work right below 96k.

Aural Chaos wrote:Did someone just hear the sound of trousers unzipping?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

I just heard Max talking out of his belly button...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

maxhodges1 wrote:Sorry, but I'm really curious why you think you need to record ultrasonics. Care to share a few of your many reasons?
Yeah, that's not really the point of this thread, so I'd rather not divert it. Suffice it to say, if I didn't think there were sonic gains to be had, I wouldn't be bothering.

BertKoor wrote:I just heard Max talking out of his belly button...
how do you mean?
Max Hodges
Publisher
White Rabbit Press
www.whiterabbitpress.com

Mikem wrote:
maxhodges1 wrote:Sorry, but I'm really curious why you think you need to record ultrasonics. Care to share a few of your many reasons?
Yeah, that's not really the point of this thread, so I'd rather not divert it. Suffice it to say, if I didn't think there were sonic gains to be had, I wouldn't be bothering.
I guess your time is too valuable to share the many reasons. I guess that's why you ask all of us to check your plug-ins instead of doing it yourself.
Max Hodges
Publisher
White Rabbit Press
www.whiterabbitpress.com

Aural Chaos wrote:Did someone just hear the sound of trousers unzipping?
I guess you don't think my points are valid? Let's discuss it then instead of trading put downs! I'm just sharing my perspective, but I'm a reasonable person.
Max Hodges
Publisher
White Rabbit Press
www.whiterabbitpress.com

i wouldnt worry about it too much. all dsp code should be as dynamic/adaptive as possible and should be able to work at all rates. (i'm saying it SHOULD, not that it is)

if you have effects which need updates in order to work at other rates you might want to try contacting the authors. in some situations adjusting code to be able to handle variable rates is quite easy. a more important question though, rather than "what doesnt work at 96k", what about 98k? 97.624k? 3.89k? 11.5hz?

plugins should work at all those rates. there are some optimizations that depend upon fixed rates, but depending entirely upon those optimized versions of methods in my opinion is extremely bad design.

it might be wise to maintain only plugins which operate dynamically, attempt to get older plugins updated and consider ditching them if you can not.

Return to “Instruments”