Anyone know a replacement for Reason's Malstrom?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Massive is from now my vst first choice for instant synth bass without need for lots of processing.

ive never been big fan of wavetable vsts , i think i never maybee quite understood the concept of wavetable synhesis i.e ive prefered to "make my own sounds", but this synth also gives a pleasent characther using only mathematical waveforms.
Im looking forward to check it out on my genelec 7060!
Favourite movie: Borat

it uses alot of cpu though, but if thats the price to pay for massive sound, im happy paying it

thanks guys so much for your replies, very helpful. I will check out the plugns mentioned.

Amberience, your post sounds interesting when u mentioned the freeze. I understand that but what are you getting at mentioning "but one sends out midi and recieves an audio input", what does that mean? Does that mena I can sequence in logic, and send the midi data to reason's malstrom, then recieve an audio input to logic from the malstrom. That sounds cool if so. Please inform me! Thanks

I think Absynth 4 could be the synth you're looking for. I've been demoing it for a couple of days and i'm amazed by the possibilities. I believe it can replicate most malstrom patches easily with an extra touch of quality.

yeah, well i am saving up for NI KOMPLETE, so i will get it soon, thanks for the advice.

Just wanted to mention something to u guys. I use Logic Pro 7 and have a bundle of expensive plugins. What i am trying to say is that iam using the best of the best but still like my sound that I have made from malstrom. What i am getting at is that is DOESN"T MATTER what plugin u use, if you love the sound that it has created for u, that's all that matters, so please stop the "what's so good about it" stuff, really.

That melody "anthem" that I produced with Malstrom with an added RV7000 is AMAZING, seriously, anyone would agree, i don't care if it comes from the malstrom, just that it sounds wicked. And I have tried so hard to recreate it with the other plugins I have but haven't been able to accomplish it.

here is the link. The quality is in 80kb though, sounds much better in wav format. COPYRIGHT 2006. KAYA

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... 74a8a51a27

WHY CAN"T PROPPELERHEADS MAKE VST AND AU VERSIONS OF THEIR SYNTHS AND FX UNITS< DAMMMN.
Last edited by kaya on Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

maybe wait for reason4
wenn er tott ist ist er tott

zircon wrote:You can't honestly compare FL's dinky little granulizer (don't get me wrong - I love it too) with Malstrom. The closest things I could think of would be certain Reaktor ensembles. Otherwise, I have yet to see anything like it. Which makes sense, because the synthesis method is proprietary.
Actually you can get REALLY close with Reaktor. In the Reaktor batch conversion menu, there's an option for aligning the phase of samples for granular use... that's the conversion that the Props are talking about as far as I know.

I had a Malstrom emu that I was working on that I lost in a hard drive crash a couple months ago; I'm working on reviving it.

ew
A spectral heretic...

I still don't understand why people get so bent out of shape over using Rewire with Reason and their host. I really hate the "back when I was a kid" parable, but it's so fitting. We have it insanely easy these days. So, I have to hike through my program menu one more time and load up another app, then route an audio track. This takes all of 3 seconds, but I still get the benefit of Propellerhead's modular environment with its amazing optimization, stability and CPU efficiency. It's a package that is more than the sum of its parts, like a workstation, and there's a consistent workflow throughout the entire instrument that the Props have 100% complete control over. You really think they'll ever start diluting that concept by breaking it off into chunks, selling off little pieces that they would then have to recode for VST/AU, port to multiple platforms and have to start testing on every single host in existence? Honestly, I don't see that ever happening, so if that distresses you I would start learning how to get good results out of something like ArtsAcoustic Reverb and move on.

~ Tronam

WTF does reverb have to do with this discussion? :?

people want to route audio through rv7000 vst...

Tronam :

Its not so fitting to talk about what you were doing as a kid i think...

My and a lot of others workflow is so accustomed to keep track on only one project name and working on lots of projects simultanously.
To include rewire clients in that kind of workflow means you have to record audio, which reduces flexibility - i then have to use a pitchshifter to transpose a synthline for example.

Ive actually start to find this "limitation" very cool, because it forces me to threat rebirth/reason like hardware - ive actually saved the rebirth 808 one drum at each channel as a live default, but i would like to have the combinator as a vst also.

This is a place also for sharing thoughts , and if people have thoughts about rewire or anything...cool

Tronam, u have a good point, seriously. I'm not saying I hate rewire, i was just wondering if there was anything out there that might be the same as the malstrom and the rv7000.

I have already rewired it into logic and it works fine.

Did u guys listen to my sample

Drago wrote:maybe wait for reason4
Yeah, 2-3
years from now. :lol:

Tronam wrote:I still don't understand why people get so bent out of shape over using Rewire with Reason and their host. I really hate the "back when I was a kid" parable, but it's so fitting. We have it insanely easy these days. So, I have to hike through my program menu one more time and load up another app, then route an audio track. This takes all of 3 seconds, but I still get the benefit of Propellerhead's modular environment with its amazing optimization, stability and CPU efficiency. It's a package that is more than the sum of its parts, like a workstation, and there's a consistent workflow throughout the entire instrument that the Props have 100% complete control over. You really think they'll ever start diluting that concept by breaking it off into chunks, selling off little pieces that they would then have to recode for VST/AU, port to multiple platforms and have to start testing on every single host in existence? Honestly, I don't see that ever happening, so if that distresses you I would start learning how to get good results out of something like ArtsAcoustic Reverb and move on.

~ Tronam
Excellent post.

Yeah, it was so great when I used to have to sync up 4 different sequencers that where in my hardward synths because I didn't have enough midi tracks on one of them or that a few of them could only transmit on 1 midi channel. I loved that. And saving them to floppy was like putting them in a bank vault! NOTHING ever happened to a FLOPPY! It was as if it was etched in gold. Those were the days.

:roll:

I agree, the "rewire save to multiple files" argument always sounds like :cry: (read: whining). I have never had a problem doing it and I never will. It just isn't a big enough deal to even think about. My Ableton Live files start from a single root folder and so do all of my Reason files. I back those up. I never lose them, and they always work. I name them the same. If I create a new version of my Live file, I create a new version of my Reason file...and get this...WITH THE SAME NAME! Genious, I tells ya! And I've got it down to Alt-Tab Click File->Save As. Insane, I know. Its amazing anybody can keep track of files WITH THE SAME NAME!

:o
-="I beat the Internet...the end guy is hard"=-

Same name? dude....thats genious !

Yar... basically, I just create a project folder where I save the .RNS/Live files and maintain the same name for both. I know it isn't as convenient as having a VST inside the host and requires CTRL+S'ing twice, but when I think about all of my hardware instruments with the patch/bank changes, sysex dumps, wiring and the time it can take to accurately recall an old project, I feel ridiculous complaining about it (and believe me, I have in the past :hihi:). And on the topic of recall, I must say that Reason's 100% backwards compatibility and platform neutrality has been a real blessing a number of times along the way. I have been using Reason since v1.0 (wow, almost 7 years now) and since that time have used Digital Performer (Mac only), Sonar (PC only), Cubase (both PC and Mac, but have had many compatibility problems transferring projects between the two), Logic and more recently Ableton Live. Project compatibility between not only the hosts (obviously), but platforms and even later versions of the same application has been periodically problematic over the years. Even VST/VSTi version upgrades would sometimes break projects. But, throughout all of that time I have *always* been able to load my Reason projects; even my ancient relics from 7 years ago, regardless of what platform they were created on. They've stood the test of time and I've been grateful for that.

With regards to running audio through Reason's devices, what I find most likely to happen is that the Props will extend Reason's own Rewire implementation to allow for audio to be routed through it. The Rebirth input module has been in the program for years, so we know it's possible, but why they haven't implemented it yet is kind of a strange. Reason would make an amazing effects rack! One potential technical problem that could be one of the reasons why we haven't seen this yet is latency compensation. Maybe there's no current way for Reason to report the cumulative latency of all of its modules back to the host and would require updating the whole architecture along with its rewire integration. :shrug: Perhaps v3.5 or 4. :)

~ Tronam

Return to “Instruments”