Korg Triton Extreme or Yamaha Motif ES ?????Help me choose!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well its my time to buy a REAL workstastion but I have a big dillema:Korg Triton Extreme or Yamaha Motif ES ?????Thats a serious question...both are very powerful and i dont know which one to choose...Please guys any tip will be acceptable!!!Which one of these do u suggest?[/b]

Have you played on them or heard them?

None of us know your taste in sound, and the big three (Korg, Roland & Yamaha) have a kind of distinctive company sound. You really should either get some demos or drag your butt down to a shop and play on them for a while - then the choice should be a lot more straightforward.

i heard them both..i also saw videoz and listen samples but i still dont know!I went and play with them and check the specs but..still there s a cloud!i ask the opinion of someone who has played with them..and any other tip!

Have you also considered the Alesis Fusion?
http://www.alesis.com/product.php?id=19
Recent units have been fitted with 80Gb hard drive as standard.
I don't know the technicalities, but the sample memory is linear or something which equates to more than the equivalent of normal RAM. (If anyone can explain this in simple terms please do).

From the Alesis site:

_61 Note Semi Weighted Keyboard Workstation or 88 Note Fully Weighted Keyboard Workstation
_Four integrated synthesis types: Sample Playback, Virtual Analog, FM, and Physical Modeling
_Full synth workstation with 8 track 24-bit hard disk recording
_16-bit sampler with comprehensive waveform editing with internal memory expandable from 64MB to 192MB
_32 Track MIDI sequencer built in with integrated multi-channel digital audio playback
_The only workstation of its kind that can save and load programs off of a hard disk (or the removable Compact Flash memory), by storing all your sounds on the internal disk and always having your programs available to you. You'll never have to load samples off a slow CD-ROM or floppy-disk again!
_Onboard grand piano based on acclaimed "Holy Grail Piano," by Q Up Arts
_Storage options include built-in 40 Gig hard disk, USB 2.0 and Compact flash.
_Multi-channel input and output options in both analog and digital (S/PDIF and ADAT Lightpipe)
_Fully assignable buttons and 360° knobs for hands-on control of synth parameters (or control of external gear through MIDI)
_Fully programmable arpeggiator with standard, phrase, and drum machine playback
_Large 240x128 backlit LCD

Regards,
Some of my music Soundcloud Goseba

koskri wrote:Well its my time to buy a REAL workstastion but I have a big dillema:Korg Triton Extreme or Yamaha Motif ES ?????Thats a serious question...both are very powerful and i dont know which one to choose...Please guys any tip will be acceptable!!!Which one of these do u suggest?[/b]
I suggest you buy both.. put on a blindfold, spin around in a circle, then randomly pick one..

and as for the remaining keyboard? thats easy, just send it to me :)

koskri wrote:i heard them both..i also saw videoz and listen samples but i still dont know!I went and play with them and check the specs but..still there s a cloud!i ask the opinion of someone who has played with them..and any other tip!
Well then, if you like both equally, then pick the one that looks nicest. Either one will make you happy, so you can't go wrong making a decision.

thanx,but i search it and i finally conlude to these 2!Isaw a prevew of alesis and i ask somwe people and it is nt what i search 4.thanx again!

What kind of music do you do? In general, Yamaha is better with acoustic and real world sounds, while the Korg will do better synths and pads. However, BOTH will do it all.

I've played more with the ES, and it's my favorite keyboard in all the world. My next purchase is going to be a Motif ES8 or whatever it's upgraded to at the time. The sequencer on board is great, and the arpeggiator is fantastic.

Really, you probably can't go wrong with either one. They are both industry leaders in what they do. But it will strongly depend on what kind of music you make.

You could always get the Korg, then buy a Motif Rack and have the sounds of both. Or something like that.

Also, just an off topic question. But why do some people think it's cool to end words with "z" instead of "s"? "Videoz"? Can't we just spell right? Just wondering.

Brent
My host is better than your host

The Yamaha has a warmer, more appealing sound as well as better percussion. The Korg has a colder, more digital sound but has a larger selection of sounds. The Korg also has the Valve Force which certainly adds power and depth to the sound. Personally, I would pick the the Yamaha Motif ES because of the warmer and richer sound.

roland fantom x

I've not really played with a Motif but I used to own a CS1x, which uses the same AWM2 sound engine. I also have a microX and once owned a Trinity so I have a reasonable handle on both sounds, I think. I think the microX has a better filter set-up for working with sampled sounds but the Motif could be different to the CS1x so maybe it's better. Overall, I think they both have some great sounds but for the kind of music we do, the KORG had a lot more of them but again, your mileage may vary.

What should really sway you though, is the user-interface. The touch-screen on the Triton will allow you to work so much faster and in a more intuitive way. In the end, that would sway me in favour of the Triton.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

stephen st. croix did a review on the triton extreme vs. motif es vs. roland fantom whatever a while back in mix. the conclusion? fantom was the most fun to play with the weakest sounds, motif es had the nicest soundset but had a barbaric interface, triton extreme was the perfect middle of the road -- the tube actually does improve the sound quality and allow for some nice distortion and color.

the fantom x is world above the regular fantom, and the korg or yamaha for that matter. It's pretty much both of those and more.

Try them out but if it was me I would get the Korg after a bad purchase of a Yamaha W5 workstation in the 90's that had a defective floppy drive (Mine crapped out after the warranty expired). Yamaha sold many W5's back then then with drives that would crap out sooner or later. My respect for that company went down the tubes after that.

7thsense wrote:the fantom x is world above the regular fantom, and the korg or yamaha for that matter. It's pretty much both of those and more.
it was the fantom x that was reviewed in the article i referenced. to each his own i guess.

Return to “Instruments”