Does Yamaha make soft synths anymore?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Compyfox: Nonono. S-YXG2006LE is the GUI-less one. S-YXG50 VSTi has a GUI, the problem is it's rather featureless, other than you can switch stuff on/off (setting polyphony, volume, and allowing effects. That's about it)

But in both cases, mGUI is capable of having GUI functions that control using CC parameters. The question is, how the hell would one make it using nothing but values?

You will have to look around to find it. DMCA Copyright prevents such to be distributed around here due to its nature of distribution.

Oh, and I thought I should say, Forget Ravity S. Get LUXONIX Purity if you really want something that has insta-functions like a real ROMpler Keyboard Synthesizer. (Other than Hypersonic, but that has loading intervals with most patches except those using US-1)

In other news, using Hermann-seib VSTHost with S-YXG50 or S-YXG2006LE VSTi with input set to Maple Tools port 1/MIDI Yoke NT 1, it's pretty much the best alternative to using it as a MIDI MCI device. Problem is, you just gotta reset it yourself. (IF you do intend to do this, don't forget to turn off the 'filter' for System Exclusive in VSThost)

I cleaned up my first 3 posts and updated them with some new info about the S-YXG series of synths ;)

For those who would like to check out the S-YXG50 VSTi demo, go to this page: http://www.yamaha.co.jp/product/syndtm/ ... index.html and download Disk #29 (sol2trsy.zip) -- the link is labeled as ディスク29(5.6MB)

IIRC the installation is pretty straight-forward, considering it's in Japanese... and I think you may have to manually drag-and-drop the DLL into your plugins folder after the install... sorry, it's been awhile since I tried it... :oops:

Even more updates to my first post.Forgot to add some important info :D

[EDIT] Updated again.
Yagushi wrote:For those who would like to check out the S-YXG50 VSTi demo, go to this page: http://www.yamaha.co.jp/product/syndtm/ ... index.html and download Disk #29 (sol2trsy.zip) -- the link is labeled as ディスク29(5.6MB)

IIRC the installation is pretty straight-forward, considering it's in Japanese... and I think you may have to manually drag-and-drop the DLL into your plugins folder after the install... sorry, it's been awhile since I tried it... :oops:
Interestingly,the VSTi version is only available as a part of their SOL/XGWorks DAW.It was never sold as a separate product.
Last edited by softsynth on Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unfortunately that is the case. An alternative option however, is using MidRadio Player 6's variant of the SGP.DLL, which uses the S-YXG50 wave ROM (presumably). Otherwise it's S-YG20 using the S-YXG50 wave ROM.

PS: Does anyone know where to download S-YXG100PVL ? The official Yamaha Site of Japan no longer has it, and it's kinda hard to navigate through archive.org.

softsynth:
softsynth wrote:S-YXG2006LE (a lite version of S-YXG50,part of the Yamaha MidRadio Player)

No. S-YXG2006LE is practically a brand new DTM XG synth restrained under XGlite architecture. The samples used in it are better than the S-YXG50. (MidRadio Player 7)
The 'Lite' version of S-YXG50 you are referring to would be part of MidRadio Player 6's DTM XG engine which ultimately is identical to S-YXG50 however the coded synth engine (again surprisingly a VSTi with its audio host function removed, and based off of SOL2's S-YXG50 engine but stripped down to nothing like the S-YXG2006LE), makes the synth output limited to XGlite architecture.

Obviously a move by Yamaha for whatever they were meant to be used for, but despite being limited to XGlite specifications, these are capable of doing what the full S-YXG50 can. It's just Yamaha decided to not allow that.

Sorry if this is a rather basic question, I'm rather a novice at this, I am trying to find an outstanding acoustic piano voice that I can run on VST in Win98 on my laptop, and hopefully to be able to switch between it and other (MrRhodes VST, Clav VST, etc) voices on the fly for live work by assigning them to different MIDI channels and changing MIDI channels on the master keyboard (at least MrRhodes provides this capability). The laptop is capable of running NIB4 (version 1) in either VST or standalone, and I'd like to be able to get a good piano voice out of it as well, as I said. Are the YXG "grand Piano (#000) voices the same as the "Portable Grand" voice on their consumer hardware synths (PSR293, etc), can one of these YXG synths be loaded into the freeware VSTHost program alongside other VSTs in Win98, and where can I get it, if so?

Thanks for any and all....

To add to this, I am under the impression that the YXG100 plugin was for Win98, was it bundled with Yamaha hardware like YXG50 is (for UW500, for ex), and if so, which ones?

Thanks....

Actually it was never really sold on "our side of the planet", only in Japan. It was basically shipped with videogames (only a handful, FF7 being one of them) and this is where I got to know about it.

It was later shipped with the XGEdit software bundle, but then it vanished completely - till it got digged out again in here (which I'm glad that htis happened, thanks again MaliceX, though I still didn't find time to test it).

And, it's still sold with SOL2 in Japan, but this is an own world for itself. To my knowledge, it was never shipped with a hardware module. At least not to my knowledge, and then again, sure no full version either. (more like XGLite)
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

MaliceX wrote:softsynth:
softsynth wrote:S-YXG2006LE (a lite version of S-YXG50,part of the Yamaha MidRadio Player)

No. S-YXG2006LE is practically a brand new DTM XG synth restrained under XGlite architecture. The samples used in it are better than the S-YXG50. (MidRadio Player 7)
The 'Lite' version of S-YXG50 you are referring to would be part of MidRadio Player 6's DTM XG engine which ultimately is identical to S-YXG50 however the coded synth engine (again surprisingly a VSTi with its audio host function removed, and based off of SOL2's S-YXG50 engine but stripped down to nothing like the S-YXG2006LE), makes the synth output limited to XGlite architecture.

Obviously a move by Yamaha for whatever they were meant to be used for, but despite being limited to XGlite specifications, these are capable of doing what the full S-YXG50 can. It's just Yamaha decided to not allow that.
Is it better now? ;)
(I updated/corrected the info again)

Works for me. Makes more sense actually.

stuka: I can confirm the S-YXG2006LE uses an identical sound patch for the portable grand piano. (Bank 112, patch 0, though it sounds relatively the same Bank 0 Patch 0 on it. There's a subtle difference.) The pianos used on S-YXG50/100 are from the MU50 and earlier (which were made before the PSR keyboards mind you.)

CompyFox: SOL2's S-YXG50 VSTi is fully functional as to its MCI driver counterpart. It also depends on the host whether it supports MIDI passthru of bankswithcing, all CC's, and sysex messages.

Applies to S-YXG2006LE, only whatever XGlite allows will only work. (Those who still own Win98 with MidPlug S-YG20 will know what I mean. Also, PSR keyboards with XGlite support are relatively the same.)

seskanda wrote:Particularly, i'm intersted if they make General MIDI soft synths. I think they're last good one was S-YXG100 Plus, but it's for Windows 98 only.
Yes, they still make softsynths. They're called "Steinberg"!

THanks, Malice, can that run as a VSTi in Win98 with VSTHost...?

What I'm really after here is just the PGP voice, am I overlooking any better ways at this? Softsymth mentioned "So,if you still want some of that great Yamaha stuff (on XP and later),the only option is to get yourself a high-end PSR series keyboard,TYROS or a MOTIF,track down an old PC game which came with a S-YXG50 NT installer (FF7 or FF8) or use a VSTi / SoundFont based on Yamaha GM/XG sound sets." -- are there VSTi/Soundfonts based on GM/XG floating around? Can the PGP voice be had by itself in an VSTI...?

Sorry again if these are bonehead questions...

Hi MaliceX,

Thanks for the tip about the S-YXG2006LE, works perfect with XGedit95 and the mGUI sfz-mgui in VstHost and my own little asHost ... :D
After patching the SGP2.dll, and copied SGP2.DLL,sxgbnw6l.tbl and sxgdat6l.tbl to the VST folder, I could remove the MIDplayer completely from my system ... :)

At last I have a SYSEX testbed for mGUI which already supports SYSEX controls ... :wink:

Thanks SoftSynth for maintaining the Yamaha SoftSynths list :)

Stuka, VstHost and S-YXG2006LE are free, so just try it on your win98 machine, another good GM2 plugin with good piano is Edirol's Hyper Canvas, which I managed to buy new for € 45 a few months ago on eBay. What I like about Hyper Canvas is the "Character" control which kind of morhps between 2 soundsets ... :love:

Return to “Instruments”