New drum-synth called smackbox. Beta-testing has commenced!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If it is not to late, i wanna help too and test it out :?: :?:
Hardcore for everyone

Pass a PM with your e-mail address on to me!

I'll get back to the "2nd load" of beta-testers later, so I might just as well excuse myself for not replying today!

Cheers, and thanks for all the help so far!
Stefan H Singer
Musician, coder and co-founder of We made you look Web agency

me too :)

Ok, just tested smackbox in cubase and Energy XT 1.4
And it does not like to be automated.
In XT it crasched as soon as I tried to modulate the filter cutoff with a envelope. (It kept playing while the windows error message showed up and that was a real nice noise! i want that one back! :love: )

In Cubase SL3 it read automation fine but when I tried to modify the automation while playing it crasched.

But I must say that this baby really does sound good! :)
And the interface is very easy. The only thing that was not that clear is that the Noise envelope controlled the filter. but fiddle it and you'll hear what it does.

I do miss some way of previewing the sounds from the vsti straight away. pressing the 1-12 might be a good solution for previewing a sound . For the standalone the qwerty solution is great.

Well that's all for now, back to the lab.
/Cheers

Wow! This plugin is great! :)

After its first runs in my Orion beta, the plugin works and sounds fine.

Just some thoughts: multiout with routing would be nice and needed. Also mute-solo possibility would be needed. It could be in a very simple way without any modification of the current GUI, e.g. left-click, Shift+click on the Tab of the drumsound.

Another idea to make the drum synth capable for [more claplike] clap sounds, to add a 'retriggering' envelope mode, like at the 3rd oscillator of Tomcat [Orion Platinums versatile drum synth]. The Stutter is nice, but not enough for good analogue claps.

And at last, but not at least: optimization and optimization.

I have a feeling this plugin has the potential to be the best analogue modelled drumsynth on the market. The GUI is beautiful. The sonic possibilities are great! Keep it up! :)

+1 for multiple outputs
+1 mute and solo.

A pan control would be nice per sound might be good as well.

/Cheers

Beta sent to another bunch of testers! Thanks all!

Onward:
Good suggestions!

I will have to look into that retriggering envelope, since the stutter envelope actually _is_ a retriggering envelope, but a specific kind. I myself think it's good for claps, but am open to tweaking it into getting even better of course. I prefer tweaking the current one over adding another.

For multiple outputs, how many would be needed? I myself never use them, I prefer using multiple instances, but I understand that others do want it. I prefer having as few as possible.

Pan I really want though, and probably something to make the sound stereo.

Cheers for now, and thanks for all the good feedback!
Stefan H Singer

only 2 drumsounds?

man, they really need to get SM optimized... :roll:

snooky wrote:only 2 drumsounds?

?
Stefan H Singer

I tried it in XT2 and the standalone.

a bit long loading time,
even on my C2D DAW.

but no crashes or other problems.

some first impressions:

good sound and great possibilities to programm,

some wishes:

I'd like to have a kind of "master volume knob" for each slot/sound.
(would not be so important with multiple outs)

and some different coloured noises to choose from.

and
lazerkind wrote:+1 for multiple outputs
+1 mute and solo.

A pan control would be nice per sound might be good as well.

how many outs?

I'd say at least 4 but 8 would be better, or even 12 would be best.

I'd also like a mute group, like open/closed hihats in a group.

more to come ;-)

stefancrs wrote:For multiple outputs, how many would be needed? I myself never use them, I prefer using multiple instances...
Doesn't running multiple instances create more CPU issues than multiple outs?

I'm not testing for you--I have no time to do it even though I'd love to--but I'd think a minimum of 4 would be good, 5 or 6 would be better . . . Idealy you'd have one out for Kick, Snare, Toms, Cymbals, HH and Other . . . or more :D

More is more, yeah?

i try it out in cubase sx 2 and there it worx at the moment great, no probs. More response comes tomorrow after working with it more times.
Hardcore for everyone

This thing is simply great!
Multi outs would be a nice addition. Maybe even one out per sound like on regular hardware drumsynths. I use to have Drumstation on my rig and never liked it's bass drums. Smackbox on the other hand really marvels at those. Good luck for the release.
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi

Uh i just found this, and i'd like to try out the beta too, i'm willing to provide feedback and patches / kits, plus i got a couple free weeks coming up to finish some music projects, so i have time :-)
je n'ai pas besoin de copier.
My Website
My music on Last.fm

stefancrs wrote:
snooky wrote:only 2 drumsounds?

?
ok jag e cp...missade att det fanns 12 tabbar...ett för varje ljud va?

trodde det va två generatorer = två ljud = kanske inte så bra...

still, SM is highly unoptimized.

Return to “Instruments”