Repurposed tech for VST control surfaces

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ugo wrote:
runagate wrote:I'm actually thinking of breaking down and buying an EWI and then wham! I'm hit between the eyes with that thing!
If you're interested in wind style controllers, this looks cool too:
Morrison Digital Trumpet.
Well, aside from the fact that all the new gear I got cost less than just that one thing, and that I don't know trumpet fingerings, and that I really don't want the YAMAHA VL70-m as I have a jillion VSTs I think that thing looks frickin' cool. I want the Photon Wind one to go on sale!!!

I am mystified as to why a midi controller would still come with an analog synth rack in this day and age.
I mean certainly there are people who would want one, but the overwhelming majority of keyboard-style midi controllers are not using them to control analog synths... non-keyboard players need cheap controllers. Period. Why in hell is the electronics industry making insanely-expensive midi interfaces for those who play instruments who are the least likely to be converted to using digital hardware and software? Are they really that dense?

There's $3000 midi guitar interfaces that are of commesurate quality to that price tag.
Almost no one who is likely to spend $3000 on guitar gear is likely to own any midi gear whatsoever.
Therefore, should someone make a 500$ midi guitar which is shite as an electric guitar but tracks midi well and can be routed to the jillion VSTs that exist, then they will make a lot of money.

Even moreso for wind players: do you know how happy the up-and-coming generation would be with their instrumental playing skills if they could buy off-the-shelf midi controllers, hook them to their PCs (young people are generally much more savvy about PCs as we all know, and have made the paradigm leap that many here still struggle with) and suddely have a vast, almost infinite universe of sound as their palatte?!?

Make a $100 wind controller without the extraneous (and ridiculously expensive) synth module, advertise them in band instrument stores, and you will reap an enormous profit. It's painfully obvious. f**k, fly me to your corporate headquarters Japan Yamaha or Akai or whomever, I'll show you the necessary specs, show your pointy-headed engineers how to make it, and then devise the advertising campaign myself. I have no real desire for you to make any more profit off us sucker musicians who rely on you, but I am certainly interested in jump-starting this incredible revolution in music possibilities (not the least of which is one of education, as instruments would become cooler and easier to learn with a midi interface on the screen). I'm not all that busy, just email me. I'll even learn Japanese should it be necessary. Just start it already.

White Noise Audio, makers of Doppelganger which I desperately want (I should really write a bartering proposal to them peeps; it's like runagate pr0n on their site!) have released a version of the Memory buffer interrupt VST effect which is controlled by the p5 glove.

http://www.whitenoiseaudio.com/memory/

PLUS
David Wallin Blog wrote: Multitouch links
A few links to blogs that looked interesting:
Clad & Psychoz
Interactive Design
Thoughts about vvvv and the multitouch bar
found HERE

http://wiki.monome.org/view/MonochromeVst

A VST interface for the monome 40h. Don't know how I never noticed that before.

just received my Nostromo n52 today...can't wait to get home, get the kids in bed, and repair to the computer lair for some integration and testing!

I'm such a geek.
rrrc.bandcamp.com||bandcamp.com/blatanville
"ALL YOUR CUBASE ARE BELONG TO REAPER" - 5.1 Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:17 pm
i9-10900CF|32GB|Nvidia RTX3060Ti|Win 11|REAPER|FLStudio|more plugins than I've had hot meals

blatanville wrote:just received my Nostromo n52 today...can't wait to get home, get the kids in bed, and repair to the computer lair for some integration and testing!

I'm such a geek.
I've got one of those here at work. Boy, it sure makes Pro Tools blazing fast! Ableton Live as well. The programmable shortcut keys are awesome.

hai guyz.
I have nothing to add.

I'm allinthebox right now drooling after your tools.

(how long does it take you to learn to play a completely new/alien controller?)
..what goes around comes around..

runagate, you need to attend this in June next year: http://nime2008.casapaganini.org/

justin3am wrote:
blatanville wrote:just received my Nostromo n52 today...can't wait to get home, get the kids in bed, and repair to the computer lair for some integration and testing!

I'm such a geek.
I've got one of those here at work. Boy, it sure makes Pro Tools blazing fast! Ableton Live as well. The programmable shortcut keys are awesome.
Yeah, I'm super-happy someone here suggested that to me, too.
Especially since I just bought Reaper with it's 1 billion shortcuts.

ouroboros wrote:hai guyz.
I have nothing to add.

I'm allinthebox right now drooling after your tools.

(how long does it take you to learn to play a completely new/alien controller?)
My tools were cheap. Except the VX5

The secret to alien hardware is using Usine, and understanding what the human interface is all about before you just strap in and start wailing.

I already thought so much about the VR glove and the touchscreen that I'm not even playing them myself. Tech to enable the creative, non-trained-musician.

8)

Leapfrog right over the mofo

Im sure something like this has been mentioned...

http://www.lumenlab.com/forums/index.ph ... 17532&st=0

The pix to the bottom and on the 2nd page look interesting...

Under €500 Ummmm....

I think JazzMutant is the only way to go for multi-touch interfaces for music purposes. Unless of coarse you are keen to DIY projects...

in which case check this out: http://mtg.upf.es/reactable/?software

runagate wrote:
justin3am wrote:
blatanville wrote:just received my Nostromo n52 ... I'm such a geek.
I've got one of those here at ... awesome.
Yeah, I'm super-happy ...
Super duper! Many is the time I thought of buying one of those "fangs" for that idea. Nice to know what the consensus is. Keep the cool links coming!

justin3am wrote:I think JazzMutant is the only way to go for multi-touch interfaces for music purposes. Unless of coarse you are keen to DIY projects...

in which case check this out: http://mtg.upf.es/reactable/?software
There's a 4k Australian 40" multitouch screen I posted about a while back.

The reason this is better than jazzmutant for a VST person is that VST GUIs show up on it. It's just another monitor. And it's wireless...

But then Lemur uses OSC and has a programable user interface.

I have that low-cost dilemma in my set-up:

Custom midi GUIs defeat the purpose of having Usine track strips that only show the controls of the VST channels that you tell em to have, with whatever controller type you tell it to have (knobs or whatever) on a need-to-use basis. Which is beautiful, because I'm sure you can imagine the insane clutter of GUIs all the VSTs I use would have.

If you've got a drum synth and Buffer Override and a delay you might not even need the synth's knobs, but show controls for the buffer (constrained to parameters to get the type of stutter tweaking you want, of course) and then just the intensity and feedback knobs of the delays, as sliders... and an oscilloscope. That's channel one.

But channels are skinny compared to an insertpizhere screen with 4 giant midi GUI interfaces...

I love that this is even an option at any given moment.

I guess I'll take the touchscreen and the Lemur. I could certainly use both.

I've been interested in alternate controllers for ages, but have never tried to use any.

The only ones I've looked into, though, seem to continue the old paradigm of assigning each controller to one or more MIDI CC and after that the controller just acts like any hardware knob or slider, going from a low value to a high one (or visa versa).

What I'd prefer would be ways of controlling the values sent by the controller over its full motion. So, imagine a graphical interface that looks like an envelope with user defined break points. As you move the controller across its full motion, it would derive its output value from that "envelope" curve.

On top of that, I'd love to have the ability to define points across the control envelope where the output would switch to a new MIDI channel and/or CC#.

If you were able to then assign that same controller to multiple MIDI CC outputs, each with its own user defined control envelope . . . well, you could set up all kinds of otherwise impossible realtime changes.

It just seems like the realm of possible features is way beyond what anyone is attempting to implement. :shrug:

Return to “Instruments”