VST Oversampler 1.4 (with SSE/3DNow! support)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VST Oversampler

Rockatansky wrote:Here, in the comments.
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/vst-ov ... y-arkecode

Took me one Google search for "VST Oversampler", clicking the first link and scrolling down. :roll:
I used to make responses like you do as well, until in one of my computer sciences courses it amazed everyone to see that, unbelievably, the google search was NOT the same for everyone. Not criticizing you, but now my mind is much more open to the fact that, for some reason, the search algorithm doesn’t always return the optimal response to the query, at least some times.

Thanks for the replies Aciddose. Interestingly the Oversampler readme says “Now works with 64-bit plugins on 64-bit hosts (it tricks the host into thinking 32-bit)” which is why I asked my initial question but looks like it is not actually working (or implemented?)

I only stated general facts, to be honest I have no idea how this plug-in works and I haven't seen the source-code.

As I said, for a 32-bit plug-in to handle loading 64-bit plug-ins it would need to come with a 64-bit version of itself which it then loads in a 64-bit "bridging" process.

The host would then see both 32-bit and 64-bit plug-ins wrapped with the oversampler as being 32-bit, even if the oversampler is wrapping up 64-bit plug-ins in its own bridge.

This is pretty inefficient considering the majority of us are running 64-bit hosts and OSes these days and only rarely need 32-bit plug-in support.

If the source implements this bridging functionality (I don't see how else it would be able to do what you say it says it can?) an updated 64-bit version would need to do the same thing to host 32-bit plug-ins as "virtual 64-bit".

If that needs to be done it may be more work than I thought. In which case I might be willing to upgrade it from "not too much but quite a bit to get started" to "quite a bit."

That said, I haven't seen the source or worked with it so neither I nor anybody else could honestly tell you unless they had already done at least part of the work.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

I've gone ahead and checked the code quickly.

I believe what he is referring to is 64-bit processing support, not 64-bit code support.

From main.cpp line 660:

Code: Select all

// prevent 64-bit processing
	self.flags &= ~effFlagsCanDoubleReplacing;
In this case he's only flipping a switch "64-bit float = off".

I don't see anything anywhere near the kind of complicated sub-process & IPC or "bridging" functionality in this code.

Normally floating point audio is 32-bit, which is equal to 24-bit audio except that the magnitude of the signal doesn't affect resolution. So you can get the same as 24-bit normalized PCM with a -40 dB signal without losing any headroom or raising the noise-floor.

64-bit floating point has higher resolution... similar to 53-bit integer resolution. This is important for storing highly accurate numbers like mathematical constants or doing physics and chemistry equations without losing precision.

There is almost zero benefit in audio since normal "single" precision floating point is already more than enough.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.

Rockatansky wrote:You load your synth into the Oversampler so the synth runs at 2x project samplerate, somewhat (but not much) lowering the amount of aliasing. (At least if the aliasing comes from basic oscillators or clipping or stuff like that.)

Inserting a plugin after the synth has already made an un-oversampled sound at project samplerate is not the same, the sound will already contain (more) aliasing and you won't get rid of that again.
What if the synth doesn't support more than 44100? Or does all current synths support? Just asking since it's interesting and I don't know have enough knowledge of this :D

So basically that oversampler does the same than setting the DAW run in higher samplerate?

If it can make the synth run in double samplerate, why not making it running 4x or 8x?

Distorted Horizon wrote:If it can make the synth run in double samplerate, why not making it running 4x or 8x?
Yes, agreed.

This sounds much like a feature included in a recent version of SONAR, except now Bandlab calls it Cakewalk and it's free.
http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?p ... ng.26.html

aciddose wrote: I believe what he is referring to is 64-bit processing support, not 64-bit code support.
Mystery solved, thanks for checking :)

Rockatansky wrote:Took me one Google search for "VST Oversampler", clicking the first link and scrolling down. :roll:
Well I'm sorry for the inconvenience.
Uncle E wrote:
Distorted Horizon wrote:If it can make the synth run in double samplerate, why not making it running 4x or 8x?
Yes, agreed.
You can wrap oversampler inside of itself if you want 4x, 8x, and so forth. I wrap it to give Voyager 4x, so that it can still remain my favorite intermediate subtractive synth 13 years on. Especially helps with its FM.
aciddose wrote:To actually take it to the point where I'd be interested is too much work... so it's one of those too-low/too-high hurdle issues.
I'll buy you a pizza. There's pizza in it for you.

The Chase wrote:I'll buy you a pizza. There's pizza in it for you.
Make that two pizzas! I'll put in for the second one!

Yeah or I could just order one and pay for it myself... if the pizza had the type of toppings I'm interested in... I'm a bit too lazy to bake my own since I don't own an authentic pizza oven and all...

I'm more a frozen pizza kind of dude. I need to spend my time working on things I haven't bothered to do yet but were due months ago.

Bro we're up to at least two pizzas.

I'll spring for the prosciutto. We ain't messin' around.

Return to “Instruments”