VST LUA beta -- midi scripting VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Opened...testing

It worked nice when I tested midilooper. after that I tried arpeg.lua. Red error occured:
"onframe callback failed...arpeg attempt to call globalnextQbeat a nil value"
I tried to load something else but energy1.4 crashed.

If I try to reload vstlua without restarting energy the red message says:
on frame callback failed. timing lua 4 . attempt to call field "noteOn" (number value)
after that no script will load.

N.B The arpeg did not work with previous version too.
Last edited by maki on Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

maki, you should find a file called log.txt created in the same directory as vstlua.dll; can you cause the problem to happen, then paste the contents of that file here?

--== VstLua 0.06 / tzec 2007 ==--
FATAL ERROR: onFrame callback failed:C:\Program Files\vst\vstlua-0.05\scripts\arpeg.lua:61: attempt to call global 'computeNextQBeat' (a nil value)

Hmmm, weird. I do notice you're loading a file from the 0.05 directory, it might be worth doing a clean install in a new directory. It seems to be OK with eXT here, but maybe there's a problem loading the init scripts on your system.

The latest version doesn't show up in Reaper.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

Doesn't seem to show up in SX3 either, shows as unable to load in plugin information.

I tried modifying the config file to match the settings from the previous version (2i/o isSynth 0) but still no luck.

contrast wrote:Doesn't seem to show up in SX3 either, shows as unable to load in plugin information.

I tried modifying the config file to match the settings from the previous version (2i/o isSynth 0) but still no luck.
In Cubase it's probably better to set numin = 0, numout = 2 and is synth = 1
If you set numout to 0, process/processreplacing is never called.

I had a problem in C4 with a previous version of vstlua and I had to edit the Vst2xBlacklist.xml file.

And don't forget to put sdl.dll in your ..\WINDOWS\system32 folder.

mbncp wrote:In Cubase it's probably better to set numin = 0, numout = 2 and is synth = 1
If you set numout to 0, process/processreplacing is never called.

And don't forget to put sdl.dll in your ..\WINDOWS\system32 folder.
Hurr, it's fixed now. I actually tried these last night but it still wasn't working. I didn't reboot after putting sdl.dll in the system32 folder though. So thanks for reminding me about that, because I accidentally left my DAW on overnight, and would probably not have thought to reboot it if you hadn't. :)

I got it working now too, in Reaper. Did the dll to system32, restart, and modify config to take out the spaces. Wrote it down in a text file so I'll remember. The older versions mostly worked in Reaper.

Edit:Ornament is awesome, I don't know exactly what it did but it sounded like 2 notes blended together. I'll get into the scripts soon as I have time.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

Hey all,

cool stuff.

any quick pointers on if/how its possible to tell if the host starts and stops.

Trying to make OSC clock sync for [ VST host -> reaktor standalone ] its a simple midiclock thing in this form

__BPM/ bpmvalue
__REALTIME/ midiclockvalue: 248,250,251,252( 0xF8, 0xFA, 0xFB, 0xFC )

cheers and thanks for this gem btw.

aha. to answer my own Q, obviously i can extract it all from getHostTime()..

Dennis, you can tell if the host is playing by whether or not the onFrameCb() callback gets called (it won't if it's not playing). You can also call getHostTime() and check if the "playing" field is 0 or 1.

EDIT: saw you worked it out!

thanks for the reply..

to me it looks like onFrame callback is called whether stopped or not ( Live:vstlua .05 EnergyXT:vstlua .06 ), but mind you this is my first encounter with LUA so i could be wrong.

following:

Code: Select all

aVar = 0

function onFrameCb()

aVar = aVar + 1
	hosttime = getHostTime()
	vprint( "PLAYING: " ..  hosttime.playing .. "\n" )
	vprint( "ppqPos: " .. hosttime.ppqPos .. "\n" )
	vprint( "a Var: " .. aVar .. "\n" )

end
prints both when stopped or started and aVar is updated accordingly. But its all good cause if it wherent it would be harder to make the logic for MIDI start, stop, reset.

I have been trying to learn some timing issues in Vstlua but no results so far.for instance, even a simple example on Quikcstart page
function onFrameCb()

--send middle C at max velocity every frame
ev = midi.noteOn(60, 127, 0)
sendMidi(ev)

end

does not work at all. If I run it as onframe.lua script I get a red message and logfile shows following:
FATAL ERROR: onFrame callback failed:C:\Program Files\vst\vstlua-0.06\scripts\onframe.lua:4: attempt to call field 'noteOn' (a number value)

With the second script

function onFrameCb()
hosttime = getHostTime()
--compute the beat properties
beatlen,number,timetobeat = computeBeatTime(hosttime.samplePos, hosttime.tempo, hosttime.sampleRate, 0.25)

--will this note be played in this frame?
if timetobeat < VSTFrameLength then

--middle C at max veloctiy
ev = midi.noteOn(60, 127, 0)

--set the delta to the exact time to the beat
ev.delta = timetobeat

sendMidi(ev)

end

end

I get this
FATAL ERROR: onFrame callback failed:C:\Program Files\vst\vstlua-0.06\scripts\onframe.lua:4: attempt to call field 'noteOn' (a number value)
FATAL ERROR: onFrame callback failed:C:\Program Files\vst\vstlua-0.06\scripts\onframe.lua:10: attempt to call field 'noteOn' (a number value)
FATAL ERROR: onFrame callback failed:C:\Program Files\vst\vstlua-0.06\scripts\onframe.lua:10: attempt to call field 'noteOn' (a number value)

I think that is a typo on the quickstart page and you need to use "noteOn" not "midi.noteOn".

Return to “Instruments”