HighLife sampler source code now available

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm confused about all of this. What did Arguru want? What is the agenda? What is the right thing to do? Why does IL have to comply with a license that came AFTER any code they may be using. Doesn't the license cover the code in it's CURRENT state?

I hope this is all just a misunderstanding. I support this as of now and WANT to continue to do so. I just don't want any controversy to surround this. George, maybe you can clear this up for everyone?

Brent
My host is better than your host

tomg wrote:
Cordelia wrote:
george wrote:Now that HighLife is open source, Image Line can check if there is any code used in Direct Wave from it and comply with the BSD license.
:-o

Wow, this news went sour fast. Please clarify, because I really hope I'm reading this wrong. If not, this "open source gift" is very clever in a very ugly way.
DirectWave preexisted the BSD license. If you use BSD source as the basis for something NEW you need to comply. Because it's not a NEW product based on the recent open source of HighLife the BSD license does not affect DirectWave.
That's good to hear. I would like to understand why george posted that, however.

JMC wrote:
george wrote:Now that HighLife is open source, Image Line can check if there is any code used in Direct Wave from it and comply with the BSD license.
If I'm getting this correctly you don't understand enough of the sourcecode
(you got/took from Argu) to take it to the next level yourself so you're now
hoping an OpenSource version will do better :?

Although I'd find this a pretty morbid thought I'll be glad to post what Argu
had to say about this whole HL freeware situation at the time. I can only
imagine how he'd feel about throwing his source code up for grabs.

As far as I remember Argu had a lot of problems with the ownership of Discovery
as well and even had a new versions of Discovery, Phantom & Vertigo ready.

Anyway : This is & feels really damn sick you know :(
I am 100% with you in this one Jean-Marie. This whole releasing of the source code, accompanied by a disclaimer and a notice to IL doesn't feel quite right or fair neither to you or to Argu.

I see that gesture, accompanied by the hidden (maybe not so hidden) agenda as a very unfortunate situation and a tainted gift to the community.

Last edited by tomg on Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Last edited by tomg on Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sorry, I was wrong.

Maybe it's better that we just remember Argu by using his products to have fun and make music. It's a nice project but the way it's been presented does not honor the man.

I'm flippy on this one but I think I settled on the right side. It's hard to guess what he may have wanted but it's a pretty good bet he wouldn't want this done this way. I don't remember that he was ever all that happy about Highlife becoming free ware about the time Directwave came out..

I'm out of this one.
Last edited by tomg on Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

I agree that something feels wrong here. It makes me uncomfortable.
I am out of this one, too.

The notice to Image Line was a completely hypothetical case. If Argüelles agreed to give copyright ownership of his source code to discoDSP, I don't think he will reuse it on other products...

HighLife was developed previously to Direct Wave and unfortunately, trade secret violations happen much more often than you can imagine in the developers world. Now Image Line has the chance to verify that this issue is non-existant because all the source code has no portions or modified parts from HighLife, and in the case that is not happening, complying the BSD license is pretty effortless.

george wrote:The notice to Image Line was a completely hypothetical case. If Argüelles agreed to give copyright ownership of his source code to discoDSP, I don't think he will reuse it on other products...

HighLife was developed previously to Direct Wave and unfortunately, trade secret violations happen much more often than you can imagine in the developers world. Now Image Line has the chance to verify that this issue is non-existant because all the source code has no portions or modified parts from HighLife, and in the case that is not happening, complying the BSD license is pretty effortless.
Completely hypothetical, huh?
Where's the emoticon for "this is just sad"?

Again.

A3ntar wrote:
JMC wrote:
If I'm getting this correctly you don't understand enough of the sourcecode
(you got/took from Argu) to take it to the next level yourself so you're now
hoping an OpenSource version will do better :?

Although I'd find this a pretty morbid thought I'll be glad to post what Argu
had to say about this whole HL freeware situation at the time. I can only
imagine how he'd feel about throwing his source code up for grabs.

As far as I remember Argu had a lot of problems with the ownership of Discovery
as well and even had a new versions of Discovery, Phantom & Vertigo ready.

Anyway : This is & feels really damn sick you know :(
I am 100% with you in this one Jean-Marie. This whole releasing of the source code, accompanied by a disclaimer and a notice to IL doesn't feel quite right or fair neither to you or to Argu.

I see that gesture, accompanied by the hidden (maybe not so hidden) agenda as a very unfortunate situation and a tainted gift to the community.
+1 something is kinda weird in all this . :?
Organising a protest march this Friday Schlesische Strasse 28 ,10997 Berlin, Germany

Project contributors will get a donation from discoDSP for their significant efforts as well.

Send me a PM or contact us using http://www.discodsp.com/contact/ if you are interested to join.

:?
I've joined Lurkers Anonymous.

george wrote:Please try http://www.discodsp.com/download/?id=8 until we get a new build who has been enhanced.
Cheers George :)

Shif.
"Micro Kid speaks digi-talk.."

Finished porting to VST2.4 ... took me one hour and 15 minutes (take THAT, AQ :hihi:).
Cakewalk by Bandlab / FL Studio
Squire Stratocaster / Chapman ML3 Modern V2 / Fender Precision Bass

Formerly known as arke, VladimirDimitrievich, bslf, and ctmg. Yep, those bans were deserved.

Return to “Instruments”