HighLife sampler source code now available

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

george wrote:HighLife sampler source code now available
Wow, that was unexpected! Highlife is already excellent so it will be interesting to see where it goes from here.
Vonbrucken wrote:i think there should be a note about Arguru on this page http://highlife.cvs.sourceforge.net/highlife/
just my two Euro cents .. :)
If there currently is no mention of him in the docs, then yes that does seem like it would be appropriate.

think there should be a note about Arguru
Kinda Ash blowing in the wind

A very generous move and one that's appreciated here - I love to dabble with this sort of thing ;)

Cheers,

Shif.
"Micro Kid speaks digi-talk.."

grymmjack wrote:
george wrote:You're welcome, mn.

Good news: Chris Walton (VST Oversampler coder) has joined the team as project admin. We are still looking for more people willing to contribute. Cheers.
i can help out with some ideas/testing/design if needed.

this is a red letter day.
I do like the original HighLife GUI but HighLife with a grymmjack GUI would be :love:
Cakewalk by Bandlab / FL Studio
Squire Stratocaster / Chapman ML3 Modern V2 / Fender Precision Bass

Formerly known as arke, VladimirDimitrievich, bslf, and ctmg. Yep, those bans were deserved.

This is great news. Now I know literally nothing about coding, but I'll be happy to test things! Even though I'm sure everyone will get to test. But still I'm open to helping whenever I can.

Brent
My host is better than your host

If only Zaf could(providing he's legaly able to and well, maybe just willing to) do the same for Aodix so this absolutely fantastic piece of software can evolve.......

george wrote:Bassballjg, just read the license. It's all there:
Copyright discoDSP

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

3, Neither the name of copyright holders nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.

4. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software must display the following acknowledgement: This product includes software developed by discoDSP http://www.discodsp.com/ and contributors.
In your hypothetic case, releasing a commercial product based on HighLife source code must comply these four clauses.
Thank you. That is very clear, whereas the examples and definitions of the BSD license I found elsewhere were written in legalese, that's why I had to ask.

This is a great thing that you are doing, George, and I can't wait to see all the creativity that will stem from this. Between this and the release of Short Circuit as freeware, what a great time to be a sample user, and for sample developers, a challenging opportunity to get content out for musicians using these amazing tools.

beautiful. thanks :)

tonAP wrote:
think there should be a note about Arguru
Kinda Ash blowing in the wind
It is is him who have wrote the code anyway , "open source" doesn't mean "forget about History ".
No Arguru , no Highlife code ever ...What do you don't understand about this , the code didn't come from the sky or something ...
In every open source project there is the name of the guy who has started it .Period.
Organising a protest march this Friday Schlesische Strasse 28 ,10997 Berlin, Germany

@Vonbrucken"] ...What do you don't understand about this , the code didn't come from the sky or something ...[/quote]

??? My dedication was motivated by pure respect
(My bad english?)

tonAP wrote:@Vonbrucken"] ...What do you don't understand about this , the code didn't come from the sky or something ...
??? My dedication was motivated by pure respect
(My bad english?)[/quote]
sorry got too emotive on this ! :)
Organising a protest march this Friday Schlesische Strasse 28 ,10997 Berlin, Germany

Chris Walton wrote:
grymmjack wrote:
george wrote:You're welcome, mn.

Good news: Chris Walton (VST Oversampler coder) has joined the team as project admin. We are still looking for more people willing to contribute. Cheers.
i can help out with some ideas/testing/design if needed.

I do like the original HighLife GUI but HighLife with a grymmjack GUI would be :love:
:D

here are a bunch of ideas for possible improvements:
  • full skin engine with RGBA png support :D
  • skin engine should support custom colors for values/readouts
  • polyphony governor (voice limit)
  • vst plugin browser (like library browser)
  • visual graphs for envelopes
  • bigger click targets for prev/next buttons up/down buttons
  • midi learn for key range parameters
  • visual key mapper/zone mapper
  • double click a control to enter a text value
  • alt click a control to reset to default value
  • double click digit values for manual entry mode
  • undo/redo for sample editor
  • drag/drop samples into sample editor
  • drag/drop fxp onto plug to load preset/program
  • drag/drop samples from sample editor to host
  • button: explore library (opens file explorer to library)
  • customizable colors for sample editor: background, waveform, start position marker, end position marker, cue marker
  • better filters
  • distortion effect
  • eq effect

Vonbrucken wrote: sorry got too emotive on this ! :)
No problems.

So @george:
what about putting Argu on the sourceforge page?
Thanks

Is there a known fxp/fxb loading bug? Just talked to somebody whose hosts crash when trying to do so ... I should be able to get on that tuesday (you caught me on a busy weekend :hihi:) but it'd be nice to know if anybody else knows about this.

...george?
Cakewalk by Bandlab / FL Studio
Squire Stratocaster / Chapman ML3 Modern V2 / Fender Precision Bass

Formerly known as arke, VladimirDimitrievich, bslf, and ctmg. Yep, those bans were deserved.

grymmjack wrote: i can help out with some ideas/testing/design if needed.

Hi grymmjack, you're welcome to join. Please make a Source Forge account and PM your UNIX name. I will add you to the team. Once you are with us you will be able to submit feature requests to the tracker located at http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=209777

I think the GUI should be put on hold right now. Grymmjack is a very skilled GUI designed although there should be more priority in the audio engine.

Any other people willing to test or contribute, please do a Source Forge account and PM me or to Chris the UNIX name so we can propery add to the project as tester, developer, etc.
tonAP wrote:
Vonbrucken wrote: sorry got too emotive on this ! :)
No problems.

So @george:
what about putting Argu on the sourceforge page?
Thanks
Yes, his name will appear in the readme files, pointing to Image Line Arguru's tribute page as soon as possible. Now that HighLife is open source, Image Line can check if there is any code used in Direct Wave from it and comply with the BSD license.

Chris Walton wrote:Is there a known fxp/fxb loading bug? Just talked to somebody whose hosts crash when trying to do so ... I should be able to get on that tuesday (you caught me on a busy weekend :hihi:) but it'd be nice to know if anybody else knows about this.

...george?
Firstly, any possible bug should be submitted to the tracker http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=209777 and we will see what we can do. I have been getting no host crash in all this time and I suspect it is not a HighLife issue at all. I can say some host crashed because they couldn't handle a big sized FXP. There's probably more info about it searching at KVR.

Return to “Instruments”