DSK mini DrumZ way too low!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chuck death wrote:Just tried Drumz out and I think it has far too many shortcomings to be a useful tool. For a start for such a simple plugin it takes far, far too long to load. When it finally does it's just a really simple drum sample player loaded with widely available drum machine samples. It doesn't even have any envelope controls so the drums cut of with a nasty non-zero click if you release them too quick. :shrug:

I think I'll stick with my samples and samplers. ;)
So its not just me! Wheww.. I've tried this on a bran new comp with really high specs and it still takes way too long to load. That is a big nono especially if I need to throw a quick loop into a song (hate when things that break my creative train of thought. >:| Also dont think it has anything to do with what it was made with but it could have something to do with the fact that everything is packed into the single dll :shrug:??

MiniDrumz loads lightening fast and I dont have to route all the outputs into 1 channel to get it up, running and recording! I'm going to keep using MiniDrumz and hope theres an update for the low volumes (the initial point to this post)..

L

chuck death wrote: About the delay time, you actually get a fairly similar delay to me on loading but I have to say do you really think around 30 seconds loading time is acceptable for such a simple plug in? If it was a very complex plug in I'd think it was fair enough but for what is basically 8 simple waveplayers with level and pan controls I think it's unacceptable.
Well, if it was a commercial plug, yes, I'd probably be irritated, but for freeware? Not really that bad. I'd like to see it fixed, of course, but it's hardly intolerable - and honestly, not to try to offend anyone, but if a 30 second wait for a ROMpler to load ruins your creative flow, I think there's a problem with your creative flow, not the ROMpler. People get so spoiled with nice PCs and easy-to-drop-in plugins these days...

I agree with you mhemnarch - we shouldn't be too harsh with anyone who is good enough to produce freeware, and should stick to constructive criticism. For me I'd like to see some improvements:

1. Improve the load time - not a huge deal, but this is a really slow load time.

2. Remove the release click that chuck pointed out.

3. Have the option for a simple stereo output as this is a really common drum configuration for most people.

mhemnarch wrote:Well, if it was a commercial plug, yes, I'd probably be irritated, but for freeware? Not really that bad. I'd like to see it fixed, of course, but it's hardly intolerable
I'm not irritated and never said I was. I also didn't say intolerable, I said unacceptable, that's an important difference. ;)

I could easily "tolerate" the delay if this was a really good plug in but it isn't. I can easily replicate/go way beyond the functionality of this plug in with many other pieces of freeware that don't have the bugs this program has.

Don't get me wrong I really like many of DSK's other products but this one just really isn't very good. It's fairly clear to me that it's simply an early attempt with a new modular writing host and DSK will no doubt improve this and release many great products as his experience grows. :)

Return to “Instruments”