Roland D50 VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Oy…..yet another company wholesale ripping off my work and the work of other talented sound designers from the 80s.
"Yet another"?: I was unaware that it has happened many times?
Oy…..yet another company wholesale ripping off my work and the work of other talented sound designers from the 80s. Unlike many other kinds of emulations of analog synths, unless they have a specific license from Roland to do this product, it's not legal with sample-based instruments. (it's not legal to sample and redistribute sample-based products that have copyrighted samples and all of the D-50 stuff is copyrighted by Roland). As a highly respected news site, I wish you guys wouldn't promote illegal products like this without ensuring that they are legitimate.
What happens when somebody records with the Roland D-50, do they have to pay royalties to Roland/Sounddesigner for using Fantasia or DND patch straight with no tweaking? :?

Karten wrote:I can understand Eric Persing not being too happy about having the D50 sampled but he has no right to come out and have the LA-50 removed.
Though the sound design on the D50 is his work, Roland is not his company. He was contracted to do those sounds and if someone has to make Binary Music stop selling LA-50, it should be Roland, not Persing.
Except that Eric licensed the sounds to Roland and still retains ownership, according to him. That's why he was able to use so many sounds from different synths in Omnisphere.
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

Ben H wrote:Except that Eric licensed the sounds to Roland and still retains ownership, according to him. That's why he was able to use so many sounds from different synths in Omnisphere.
Then why don't Spectrasonic make a D-50 Omnisphere expansion?

I'm just feeling that Roland/Persing want to sit on old stuff.

I mean a sample lib, wouldn't that rather make users want to seek out the orginal, rather than thinking they don't need it when they got the lib?

To put it this way: I don't think Arturia's Mini V, has led to less demand for Minimoog (the real deal, or plugs)

Minimoog voyager was launched in 2002 and still being sold, hasn't been taken over by Arturia, Minimonsta, Monark or other plugs ;)

Gamma-UT wrote:The sounds themselves - how close are they to the trademark sounds sold by Roland?
afaik, there is no trademark sounds concept or copyright in this world
with some talent and technology everything can be accurately re-recorded
if you don't know how click here : http://www.replayheaven.com/

carrieres wrote:
Gamma-UT wrote:The sounds themselves - how close are they to the trademark sounds sold by Roland?
Also, there are some country specific laws. In Germany I have read that patches included with a synth/keyboard is not protected by copyright, is that true?

carrieres wrote:
I used trademark colloquially there – meaning "famous", like Pizzagogo. Sorry for the confusion as I'm aware I used trademark in the other sense just before it.

Karten wrote:I think what happened to LA-50 is very sad.
I can understand Eric Persing not being too happy about having the D50 sampled but he has no right to come out and have the LA-50 removed.
Though the sound design on the D50 is his work, Roland is not his company. He was contracted to do those sounds and if someone has to make Binary Music stop selling LA-50, it should be Roland, not Persing.
I have tons of respect for him as what he did regarding MIDI and sound design in the 80s and 90s is nothing short of amazing, but his company is Spectrasonics. What work he did for other companies is out of his hands, unless the contract said so.
However, I agree that Binary Music should have had Roland's permission to sample the D50, no matter how old it is. And I still can't undestand why Roland doesn't come up with a software version of the ROMplers of the 80s and 90s since there's still a demand for it. I know they are much more interested in hardware but computers having the power they have now, software solutions cannot be disregarded anymore.
Like many have said in the past, Roland should IMO bring back the glory of its analogue days (and not in VA form) and everything digital pre-2000 should be nicely packed in a soft synth.
Before there are wrong speculations.

I had purchased LA-50 and was quite happy with it. Then ther was the copyright discussion here and other places.
After someone posted the link with Eric Persings comments i sent an email to the developer to make him aware about it.

Already in his reply to me he mentioned he wants to take LA-50 off from sales until he had a chance to get an opportunity to get an agreement with Eric Persing.

The LA-50 developer did not have any bad intentions and while the bigger part of it includes samples of his own D-50 pathces he thought that this collection should also include a selection of the factory sounds (where i mostly agree...).
He did not sample any raw ROM samples of the D-50. In Kontakt it would be quite impossible to get the final patches from those.

Anyway when i purchased this i thought about copyright too but had the wrong idea that there already was a permission from Eric .

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ben H wrote:
Karten wrote:I can understand Eric Persing not being too happy about having the D50 sampled but he has no right to come out and have the LA-50 removed.
Except that Eric licensed the sounds to Roland and still retains ownership, according to him. That's why he was able to use so many sounds from different synths in Omnisphere.
If that's the case, then why does he say a license from Roland should be obtained? Or does he say that so potential licensees just run in circles?
A good decision would be to open the D series and JV series waveforms and sounds to licensing or actively do something with them. But maybe that's the case in Omnisphere? I don't know, I don't own it.
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

all we have is persing bitching @ fb and nothing from roland and i doubt it ever will come something from them (same goes for deepflight).

now this dev here put it down because he's a nice guy who dont seek for trouble. the whole story is so lame: on one side we have spectrasonics owner who had the luck to act as a co-author on the presets and use the great roland technology back in this days. nothing bad about it.

on the other side we have this small dev who dared to do a kontakt lib of an nearly 30 years old hybrid synth.
as receipt he got comments from persing that are low down really, thats not nice.

if he's concerned he can contact the dev like other did or assign a lawyer (he sure had one), trying to destroy the reputation of a small company isn't decent. i have a problem with this acting.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

I remember when the D50 came out, people loved it but complained it was too dirty, so they made the D70. And people complained it was too clean. So then they did the rest of the D series trying to find some balance between the two (D5/10/20/110) and people said they sounded cheap.
Even though I sold them all, I still bought another DX from one of my competitors, so I can't call myself a fan of them anyway (although we eventually had a 5 and 110 to use for awhile in our practice room).
What does the D sounds for me now is not made by Roland or Eric.
This nostalgia seems misplaced considering its done so much better now by other designers.

Ingonator wrote:Already in his reply to me he mentioned he wants to take LA-50 off from sales until he had a chance to get an opportunity to get an agreement with Eric Persing.
He doesn't need to get an agreement with Persing. He needs to get an agreement with Roland. Persing did a very snide thing here, acting on behalf of the company he's no longer part of.
murnau wrote:if he's concerned he can contact the dev like other did or assign a lawyer (he sure had one), trying to destroy the reputation of a small company isn't decent. i have a problem with this acting.
Me too. Interesting how he didn't mention Deepflight, or vKS20 that Hollow Sun has, or what about other rompler-based sample sets out there (there's LOTS of them). Just picking things out of the crop how he sees fit. Very nasty and personally, Persing lost some respect from me with this.

Karten wrote:And I still can't undestand why Roland doesn't come up with a software version of the ROMplers of the 80s and 90s since there's still a demand for it. I know they are much more interested in hardware but computers having the power they have now, software solutions cannot be disregarded anymore.
Like many have said in the past, Roland should IMO bring back the glory of its analogue days (and not in VA form) and everything digital pre-2000 should be nicely packed in a soft synth.
because roland doesn't want there shit stolen by sniveling little weasel pirates. that's why. there very aware what happened with korg legacy, v-station/bass station. and want nothing to do with the vsti market. and i don't blame them one bit. and if i were korg or novation, i would be dammed if i put out any more software products ever again.

BBFG# wrote:the D70. And people complained it was too clean.s.
The D70 was more a U70, according to Vintage Synhts Explorer, opening up the circuit board, it is stamped U50.

James from Binary Music had replied at that Facebook discussion where Eric Persing posted:
I’m from Binary Music and after reading Eric’s comments above, I have decided to withdraw the LA-50 library from sale. Not contacting Eric before releasing this was a mistake and it gives the wrong impression of us.

My intention when starting this venture, was never to sample anything still in production or sample based and I should have stuck to that.
link for the discussion:
https://www.facebook.com/Synthtopia/pos ... eam_ref=10

One comment from Eric is quite strange. He mentioned doing your own D-50 patches and selling them as a sample library while ethically OK seems to be "technically illegal".
This seems to be strange as long as you provide samples of the full patches (like with the LA-50 library) and not raw samples of the ROM content.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

AstralExistence wrote:
because roland doesn't want there shit stolen by sniveling little weasel pirates. that's why. there very aware what happened with korg legacy, v-station/bass station. and want nothing to do with the vsti market. and i don't blame them one bit. and if i were korg or novation, i would be dammed if i put out any more software products ever again.
Miss Congeniality! :-P

Return to “Instruments”