Roland D50 VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

yes but I think he did them before spectrasonics came into being and he was just their chief sound designer. I could be wrong..... :-)
Eric did I get this one right?
rsp

ew wrote:Probably not unless Roland themselves put it out (which is highly unlikely).
...which would be a shame. I would love to see a D50 VST, too. A few days ago I also have posted about that I'd like to see an Alpha Juno emu. Arturia has done the Jupiter 8, D16 and Audiorealism have made clones of the 303, 808 and 909. I know that the D50 is partly sample-based so it couldn't be done without Roland's permission (an Alpha Juno could, I think ;)), so why are they obviously so much against plug-in versions? For instance, has it been such a bad move for Korg to step into the VST-world? Of course, software will be pirated to some degree (although, Korg uses Synchrosoft dongles - have they've been cracked?), but would be the cost for development so high that it wouldn't be a good deal for them? Making money from older developments? I mean, they obviously don't make any money from second hand sales of these old machines...

zvenx wrote:yes but I think he did them before spectrasonics came into being and he was just their chief sound designer. I could be wrong..... :-)
Eric did I get this one right?
I thought that might be the case, and I suspect Eric's D-50 work does probably predate Spectrasonics. But he certainly had a strong hand in the D-50, and many of the most famous patches were his...

deastman wrote:
Manc Chris wrote:
dadadalei-lama wrote: But I have to ask myself, why there is no real D50-Clone?
If you do ask yourself .. and get a decent answer, can you let me know? I wanna do early Duran Duran too. 8)
Actually, the D-50 was released in 1987. The early Duran Duran albums were released as follows:

Duran Duran - 1981
Rio - 1982
Seven and the Ragged Tiger - 1983
Notorious - 1986

:P

:oops: Fair cop guv. I ACTUALLY was thinking of the SH09 (Honestly). Still, serves me right fer being a smartass. :(
http://chrisamusic.bandcamp.com/
"It's square to be hip"

scuzzphut wrote:...or if you don't want to buy an old D-50 - there's always the Roland product
http://www.roland.com/products/en/VC-1/index.html

a D-50 on a card for Varios or V-Synth
I bought the VariOS on the cheap for $395, and got the VC-1 card for free at the time. I sold it on Ebay a few months later. While I liked a few patches on it, it just wasn't that great. I do have one brief song example I wrote with it if anyone wants to listen. I liked that patch at least...

http://www.devonbrent.com/d50thoughts.mp3

The D50 has just too much 'junk' patches. Trumpets, trombones, and other useless sounds from that timeframe. I wish there more of the pads and other wonderful sweepy sounds for it that I could have pulled up. Oh well. I made all of my money back minus like $2 for selling the VariOS and of course I made money selling the VC-1 card. In the end it was worth it to try it out, but I'd never get one again. I was told it would be my 'thing', but in the end, it wasn't. Oh well.

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

Maybe D16 will release a D-50 Clone??? Considering their on a Roland Rampage with all of their Plugs being Roland Clones. 8)

I used a lot the D50 for making great, new testures in Sophistry, maybe this is an interesting synth for you if you like that Synth like me..

Frank
Voice, sample and factory content developer Particular-Sound / Facebook / Soundcloud

DevonB wrote:The D50 has just too much 'junk' patches. Trumpets, trombones, and other useless sounds from that timeframe.
This is also true of the M1, to be honest. However, there are nice things in there, and once you "bend" it to fit in today, it still manages to surprise. In fact, the new KLC bank in the M1 Legacy shows you what a fresh perspective has on the voicing - thes patches were done specifically for the Legacy M1 by Korg.

So don't let the factory patches bias you too much - these instruments can still do interesting things that other synths can't...

I've been thinking for a little while now of trying to make a D-50-like synth, a friend of mine picked up at below-average-condition D-50 for like 15 bucks and fixed it perfectly, so I think I can record all of the sample WAVs and go from there.

Although first I REALLY need to get up my Prophet 5 synth... :P
Roberson Audio Synthesizers

Wow! - it's taken some time for this topic to resurface, but it has once again. This thread topic is a Pheonix!

...just my insipid observation

1-2-Many wrote: This thread topic is a Pheonix!
More like Phoenix Nights. :roll: :D
http://chrisamusic.bandcamp.com/
"It's square to be hip"

Chris Roberson wrote:a friend of mine picked up at below-average-condition D-50 for like 15 bucks and fixed it perfectly, so I think I can record all of the sample WAVs and go from there.
Roland's legal representation, meet Chris. Chris, meet Roland's legal representation.

I'm sure you'll put up a good fight... ;)

Well firstly, I won't be selling it, I'll be giving it away, so the worst that'd conceivably happen is if they'd ever per-chance make a D-50 VST they would tell me to cease a desist so I wouldn't cut into their profits. I've yet to be contacted by any synth makers for my clones so I'm pretty sure none of my stuff is of enough resemblance to be considered a threat yet.

Secondly, high-five for giving up before you even step up to the plate. ;)
Roberson Audio Synthesizers

loachm wrote:...the D50 is partly sample-based so it couldn't be done without Roland's permission...
Ah, but it could as long as you didn't actually use their samples. It wouldn't be all that hard to create samples that are very similar to theirs without actually being copies of theirs. As long as you didn't make it look exactly like a D-50 (like the D16 stuff, which at one time looked exactly like the Roland products but got changed to avoid copyright), there's no problem doing the same architecture using essentially similar sounds.

Personally, I think the D-50 was a great machine for its time, but is very dated now. Its samples are pretty horrible and the last time I fiddled with my brother's D-50 I was considerablly underwhelmed, unlike when I used it back in the late 80s or early 90s. I really don't think it's stood the test of time, but its architecture and design philosophy is quite nice and I'd love to see a modern version of it.
Last edited by emdot_ambient on Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Edit your post, sir- I didn't say that; loachm did...

ew
A spectral heretic...

Return to “Instruments”