Most analog sounding softsynth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Urs wrote:
ckatrun411 wrote:I been spending a lot of weeks now listening just to vinyl trying to rediscover the roots of electronica. Lots of different composers, from Germany and England throughout the 60s and 70s, and old movie soundtracks and what not. Its been quite a strange experience, cause I have spent a lot of time working with digital equipment.
You can't get these sounds with just analogue synths either. It's the whole production technique involved that provides for certain sounds, such as tape loops. If you're into stuff like Oxygene or Tangram, you'd be very disappointed trying this on just a bunch of analogue synths. You can get far closer with plugin synths that have a decent effects section and eq.
I disagree, I plugged in my Crumar Multiman.... inserted the audio signal into a Small Stone analog Phaser running at 7.5 Volts instead of 9 Volts to get the slower lfo rate. I then put it through a Roland Space echo and panned the dry signal hard left and the echo'd signal hard right......Instant Oxygene :)

But I do hear what you are saying, we are so used to hearing synths with fx on them that a dry as a bone analog synth can sound underwhelming to some people, but whack some fx on them and it's heaven :)

Love Zebra by the way...it's one of the best soft synths EVER made, sounds better at higher sample rates as well :)

Sam@Megablastic wrote:Try this for real analog sounds in a digital environment:

http://www.zero-g.co.uk/index.cfm?articleid=1003

Play the demo's...no other fx or compresion was used in the making of the demo's.

It sounds Analog because over 20,000 samples were taken from analog synths like:

Mini Moog D, Welsh Moog, Yamaha CS-5, Yamaha CS-15, Yamaha CS-30, Korg Monopoly, Korg MS-20, Studio Electronics SE-1 and SE-1X, Roland SH-101, Crumar Multiman, Akai AX-73 oh and a digital/analog hybrid the underated Ensoniq Esq-1 :)

Other than that you might be better off getting a cheap analog mono synth to hear the difference, then save up for something really nice.

Dave Smith does some awesome modern takes on analog synths, or go for a Sequential Pro-1 (just bought one myself), if you want to really knock your socks off :) or a midi'd up Studio Electronics SE-1X for that Moog (Yawn) and Oberheim sound. It is an excellent synth that has a lot going for it.

I agree that Dave Smith makes/made some cool synths. He is also the father of my Korg Wavestation EX. I just tried to get a real ARP Odyssey at eBay. At the end it was sold for 1550 Euros. Far too much in my opinion. A SCI Prophet 5 was sold for 2750 Euros. That is insane !!
About Phaedra : I looked at the gear list and the only polysynth used was an Ensoniq ESQ-1. For an "ultimate virtual analogue" synth they should have used at least a few analog polysynths (e.g. Jupiter, Prophet, Oberheim). Not to say that no ARP monosynth was used.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Sam, thanks for reminding me of Phaedra, I had been meaning to check that out.

I think Urs had a very sensible response and I agree. I don't think that I would necessarily call putting on a bunch of vinyl records (or even cds for that matter) as scientific research into how an analog synth sounds. Or feels or works. IMO, that definitely does not take into account any sort of further production methods that may have gone into the sound you are hearing, not to mention the compression that is part of the vinyl process. Anyone who has worked with those old analog synths or who has worked in a studio for that matter, knows that there are usually a few steps in between what comes out of the synth audio out jack vs. what you hear on the album. Unless... you are aware of those possibilities and are also taking that into account.

Ingonator mentions a list of REAL analog synths that he's used so I'm guessing he knows what a real analog sounds like and feels like.

I have yet to check out Zebra properly - I'm kind of freaked out by that middle matrix section. But from what I've seen, heard and read, it sounds pretty fantastic.

Poly-Ana is great but wasn't really very happy on my computer, so that will have to wait for the future. Timewarp is very nice but is also cpu intensive. For the moment I can use it well as long as I keep the patch simple and the polyphony low. For the 2600 flavor as well as being actually able to use it (in my case) and just plain fun, I really like the Arturia. Both the Arturia and the Timewarp are good instruments, each in their own way. (I learned on a 2600 so I'm quite familiar with the real deal)

Sylenth is great and has a nice sound and definitely I would say that Tassman is quite good at getting that analog feeling. Sylenth stands up pretty nicely alongside my real analog.

At the end of the day... and as for what's currently available, I'm really looking into the Prophet08. The rackmount version seems very nice. Seems like that might be a nice option as opposed to possibly buying someone else's undisclosed 'problem' and getting something used like an Oberheim Matrix. The Andromeda is pretty nice too except that I would be hesitant to invest that much money into something with the Alesis name on it (based on my own past experience with Alesis gear both that I've had and that friends had at one time or another).

In terms of getting something like a Prophet08 vs. a used Oberheim, the way I look at it is... the Oberheims are going on being 20 years old in some cases. Unless you're getting something that was well taken care of and as long as you know that everything is functioning - but will it still be functioning in 10-15 years and will you be able to fix it if it isn't? Whereas if I can get something new now, then I expect that it will last me the next 10-15 years with no problem. (unless it's an Alesis, lol)
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

Ingonator wrote:

Play the demo's...no other fx or compresion was used in the making of the demo's.

It sounds Analog because over 20,000 samples were taken from analog synths like:

Mini Moog D, Welsh Moog, Yamaha CS-5, Yamaha CS-15, Yamaha CS-30, Korg Monopoly, Korg MS-20, Studio Electronics SE-1 and SE-1X, Roland SH-101, Crumar Multiman, Akai AX-73 oh and a digital/analog hybrid the underated Ensoniq Esq-1 :)

Other than that you might be better off getting a cheap analog mono synth to hear the difference, then save up for something really nice.

Dave Smith does some awesome modern takes on analog synths, or go for a Sequential Pro-1 (just bought one myself), if you want to really knock your socks off :) or a midi'd up Studio Electronics SE-1X for that Moog (Yawn) and Oberheim sound. It is an excellent synth that has a lot going for it.

I agree that Dave Smith makes/made some cool synths. He is also the father of my Korg Wavestation EX. I just tried to get a real ARP Odyssey at eBay. At the end it was sold for 1550 Euros. Far too much in my opinion. A SCI Prophet 5 was sold for 2750 Euros. That is insane !!
About Phaedra : I looked at the gear list and the only polysynth used was an Ensoniq ESQ-1. For an "ultimate virtual analogue" synth they should have used at least a few analog polysynths (e.g. Jupiter, Prophet, Oberheim). Not to say that no ARP monosynth was used.
Ahh but dude, I sample in mono (notes) not polyphonic :) The mono's I sample work amazing as the monophonic analogs they are...but they also shine when played phonically. You can use Phaedra both monophonic and poly.

Also I spunked my budget for Phaedra on loads of mono synths, the poly's were just a little bit out of my budget after buying all that lot and the pre amps, analog fx, analog comps, and the Lynx 2 sound card. Phaedra 2 is being planned
so there will be some classic poly synths in that for sure and the Sequential series and oberheim :)

Edit: to add....I did sample another poly synth...The Crumar Multiman, odd little thing, but made for some interesting string patches.

Have you actually listened to the demo's of Phaedra? I'm genuinely interested in your view. I think as vsti instruments go Phaedra is The Ultimate Analog because of the source of sounds, the attention to detail, the Real Analog filters, oscillators etc, the long loop points etc...(click below link for multi sample reference pic).

The Andromeda is pretty nice too except that I would be hesitant to invest that much money into something with the Alesis name on it (based on my own past experience with Alesis gear both that I've had and that friends had at one time or another).
I didn't rate the Alesis that much. Maybe it's my personal taste but I found it a bit weak sounding. Solo off one of the oscillators, then put it next to a good mono synth..... Phatty and skinny he he. I also didn't like the envelopes speed.

It's hard to invest that much money into something, I suppose the best bit of modern gear I've bought is the Virus Ti for production/composing work. It works really well for the digital sounds, but an analog synth it isn't.... but then it isn't trying to be. Analog sounds great when doing analog... Digital sounds great when doing Digital :)

Saying that about Alesis, I didn't like the Ion either, I thought it was weak and sounded like every other not so great Vsti.

Zebra I have to say is the next step in vsti synths, it's not trying to be 'analog' it's just a damn good synth in it's own right, this is what I also love about the Virus. Never again will I be suckered into dsp based 'analog' emulation oscillators, it has to be the real deal in that department.

I just picked up a Rack mount TX-802 (8 DX-7's in a rack), nasty and digital but great for it he he...

Sam@Megablastic wrote:
Ingonator wrote:

Ahh but dude, I sample in mono (notes) not polyphonic :) The mono's I sample work amazing as the monophonic analogs they are...but they also shine when played phonically. You can use Phaedra both monophonic and poly.

Also I spunked my budget for Phaedra on loads of mono synths, the poly's were just a little bit out of my budget after buying all that lot and the pre amps, analog fx, analog comps, and the Lynx 2 sound card. Phaedra 2 is being planned
so there will be some classic poly synths in that for sure and the Sequential series and oberheim :)

Edit: to add....I did sample another poly synth...The Crumar Multiman, odd little thing, but made for some interesting string patches.

Have you actually listened to the demo's of Phaedra? I'm genuinely interested in your view. I think as vsti instruments go Phaedra is The Ultimate Analog because of the source of sounds, the attention to detail, the Real Analog filters, oscillators etc, the long loop points etc...(click below link for multi sample reference pic).

Hello,

just heard the demos of Phaedra. It sounds really nice. Don't understand me wrong but besides my Motif ES 7 (i have tons of synth samples/patches for this one) and the Wavestation EX i am not the guy for sample based synths. I don't even use the samples in Ableton Live. My current references for analog sound are my Virus TI with the total integration and AAS Tassman 4. The synth with which i am mostly programming is AAS Tassman 4 (several Tassman synths published) which works with physical modelling. Currently the Poly-Ana VST looks more interesting to me. I can not see how a Kontakt based synth could be the "ultimate virtual analogue", besides it produces some nice sounds to be fair.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

just like Kvr, as long as you say what everybody wants to hear and read, your opinion is valid. Deviate, and all of a sudden you are conducting scientific experiments with old records and we all know that is quite silly.

Computers have a very narrow minded view on reality if you will. A computer can only comprehend 1 and Zero. It understands nothing more than that. * at the current moment in time, the fact that I am not in this field, I have no idea what may be going on with AI right now...

But.. Least to say, all the software owned by Kvr members is in essence 1 and Zeros. IT might be written in C++, or Delphi, or Java, or Pascal, or whatever other language the guys like to code in, but it still gets compiled " translated " into machine code. Now analog circuitry is very different than this. So what is wrong in saying... hmmm, no matter how great the algorithm it still fails to connect with the true feel and vibe.

and it was something I did not put much thought into until very recently....

I mentioned that production techniques and tape had a lot to do with it as well. I also have a valid opinion.

IF I don't, why all the fuss?

WHy constant software marketing of " analog " what is the purpose if there is not a different sound quality, vibe? IF the difference does not exist, why try to emulate it?

When was the last time you heard

" my synth is so sparkling digital, its math is so perfect, it glistens with digital sterility "

nope, you hear

" its unique algorithms are written to emulate the true character of the analog instrument "

while there are soft synths that will provide the listener with a sound that is inaudibly different from analog it is quite possible that they still can not nail the vibe.

That is all I am saying.
hmmm, ok, nevermind

ckatrun411 wrote:Now analog circuitry is very different than this. So what is wrong in saying... hmmm, no matter how great the algorithm it still fails to connect with the true feel and vibe.
Because very few people will hear the raw output of an analogue synth, instead they'll be listening to a digital recording of one. That's 1's and 0's, same 1's and 0's you'll get running through a microchip inside a computer or hardware digital synth. So there is no technical reason why it would always be impossible to emulate the sound of an analogue synth recorded to digital audio stream, with a digital synth.

But the argument about whether that has already been attained or close enough to not matter has been flogged like a dead horse on KVR sooooo many times already.

..I feel a picture of a bass fish coming on :)
Arksun
Music Producer | Sound Designer
www.arksun-sound.com

Hello,

just heard the demos of Phaedra. It sounds really nice. Don't understand me wrong but besides my Motif ES 7 (i have tons of synth samples/patches for this one) and the Wavestation EX i am not the guy for sample based synths. I don't even use the samples in Ableton Live. My current references for analog sound are my Virus TI with the total integration and AAS Tassman 4. The synth with which i am mostly programming is AAS Tassman 4 (several Tassman synths published) which works with physical modelling. Currently the Poly-Ana VST looks more interesting to me. I can not see how a Kontakt based synth could be the "ultimate virtual analogue", besides it produces some nice sounds to be fair.
----
hobby musician, AAS Tassman addict

I just don't think the current virtual analogs hold as much weight as say multisampled analog synth. You don't get any nearer than a recording of the real thing. There is a lot of scope for building your own presets as well with Phaedra, albeit with a simplified interface....but sometimes you don't want a squibillion knobs all over the place.

I suppose Phaedra is a sound set for the raw analog sounds from the 70's and early 80's but with a very modern slant as well. It really does hold it's own in a mix as well, you'll find you won't have to throw a ton of eq and compression to get it to sit well in a mix.

With real analog I find less is more if you know what I mean. I was always having to add loads of compression and eq to virtual bass to get it to do what I wanted, this took up a lot of headroom in the mix at times.

Luckily I'm not just a sound designer, I'm no stranger to commercial record releases and I really went out of my way to make good usable presets with no aliasing (another fault I find with virtual analog synths), that work in a track rather than sounding great on their own.

Doesn't anyone else here find that just using soft virtual code based synths that they all start to sound a bit...'samey'? I think it's good to have different sources to sounds. Different flavours, it helps a lot with mixing. It's like a good pre-amp, you might not think it makes THAT much of a difference, until you start mixing all the tracks together and it all seems to gel nice :)

I'm going off topic lol, there are so many synths and so many tastes in music that there is enough of everything to suit just about anyone... which is great. One mans best is another mans shit.

And a lot of people who say there is no difference between this and that...a lot of the time have never owned a 'that' to compare side by side with a 'this' he he

Sam@Megablastic wrote: Have you actually listened to the demo's of Phaedra? I'm genuinely interested in your view. I think as vsti instruments go Phaedra is The Ultimate Analog because of the source of sounds, the attention to detail, the Real Analog filters, oscillators etc, the long loop points etc...(click below link for multi sample reference pic).
Those demos are impressive. I get the impression that the raw tone of the patches is good too, not only when smothered with effects.

Sam@Megablastic wrote:
Hello,

----
hobby musician, AAS Tassman addict

I just don't think the current virtual analogs hold as much weight as say multisampled analog synth. You don't get any nearer than a recording of the real thing. There is a lot of scope for building your own presets as well with Phaedra, albeit with a simplified interface....but sometimes you don't want a squibillion knobs all over the place.

I suppose Phaedra is a sound set for the raw analog sounds from the 70's and early 80's but with a very modern slant as well. It really does hold it's own in a mix as well, you'll find you won't have to throw a ton of eq and compression to get it to sit well in a mix.

With real analog I find less is more if you know what I mean. I was always having to add loads of compression and eq to virtual bass to get it to do what I wanted, this took up a lot of headroom in the mix at times.

Luckily I'm not just a sound designer, I'm no stranger to commercial record releases and I really went out of my way to make good usable presets with no aliasing (another fault I find with virtual analog synths), that work in a track rather than sounding great on their own.

Doesn't anyone else here find that just using soft virtual code based synths that they all start to sound a bit...'samey'? I think it's good to have different sources to sounds. Different flavours, it helps a lot with mixing. It's like a good pre-amp, you might not think it makes THAT much of a difference, until you start mixing all the tracks together and it all seems to gel nice :)

I'm going off topic lol, there are so many synths and so many tastes in music that there is enough of everything to suit just about anyone... which is great. One mans best is another mans shit.

And a lot of people who say there is no difference between this and that...a lot of the time have never owned a 'that' to compare side by side with a 'this' he he
Sorry,
don't understand me wrong. Phaedra's sound quality is really excellent. There are two reasons why i am not sure if i would use it. First i have a lot of analog synth samples/patches for my Motif ES which has an excellent sound quality. I think i have almost all comercially available soundsets for this.
Second reason is that i tried several sample based VSTs like e.g. Spectrasonics Atmosphee, Sonik Synth 2 or Nexus. They were nice at the beginning but later i realized that the were not so cool at all.

TO SAY IT CLEAR : I am not saying that i will not give Phaedra a chance in the future but at this moment the Poly-Ana VST looks and sounds more interesting to me. Other thing is that i tried so many synths over the last years that i want to find a few really good ones and start making music !! A radical thought which i currently had was to dump all the software stuff and buy a Prophet 08 Keyboard. Then i played with the Virus TI and some softsynths and realized that i am not far from what i want. Just have to find some favourites.
Ingo Weidner

I hear ya :)

I've never thought that one synth could rule them all, I do believe that you should mix and match like say.... 1 or 2 good vsti synths, a good rompler, a good analog etc...

When everything comes out from the same d/a converter from digital dsp based synths it does all start to sound the same. So it's good to have different sources of sounds.

I would say the difference between say Phaedra and your Motif is that where as the Motif is an awesome all rounder, with Phaedra I've obsessively sampled raw analogs with uber attention to detail. I've been known to use over 700 samples in a preset he he

Good luck with your tunes dude, I'm off to eat dinner :D

The most "analog" sounding vsti for me is TimewARP2600. Some others can sound "analog". Poly-Ana f.e.

Poly-Ana :love:

Quick reply:

Tassman & Nexsyn

Return to “Instruments”