Does any other VST sound as good as Sylenth?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Pretty silly question really.

ImpOSCar sounds infinitely better - if you use it for the sounds impOSCar is good at.
Wavestation is infinitely better than both Sylenth and impOSCar - if you want wavesequenced sounds.
Almost any sampler is better - if you're making sampled sounds.

Of course there are synths that sound better than Sylenth. Can Sylenth do everything? No, I thought not. Doesn't mean Sylenth isn't very good at what it does though, before the eejits start a flame war. But it's the bestr synth ever for everything? Absolute subjective nonsense.

BFunKu wrote:
neverfall wrote:I don't care if it's a rompler it's still a VSTi. Nexus is pretty much as good as it gets right now next to the Spectrasonics plugs and romplers using the Kontakt player.

I don't think CronoX3 gets the props it deserves. Seriously, I'd take CronoX over Sylenth anyday without question. I personally didn't find much use for Massive, but it sounds WONDERFUL. The Butterfly Stance patch was used on Nas' new track called "Hero". Apparently someone found a gem in there that I didn't.

Anywho...

Blue
Albino
CronoX
Massive
Korg Legacy....especially Analog 2008
SOOOO many banks for Reason
Vanguard
Rapture
Z3ta
Virus Powercore....all day.

All are marvelous SYNTHS with a beautiful sound all their own.
CronoX over Sylenth1? You got to be Joking, smoking Crack or are just weird? It's all good though whatever floats your Boat. :lol: 8)

Just because someone doesn't share your same viewpoint shouldn't give you a reason to throw a hissy fit about it.

Crack has nothing to do with my opinion. Apparently men running around with female tendencies while attempting to start a half assed argument is a bit of a joke though...

...And pretty f**king weird.
Remember kids...Everything is impossible until it's actually done.

Karmacomposer wrote:Sylenth1 sounds nice and fat - very warm - and that is why it sounds so good. It has great filters and oscillators with no aliasing.

Cronox sounds way more metallic and less warm.

NEXUS, are you freaking kidding me????? Pile on some more reverb please!

That said, Massive is great, but not as warm. I have some EXCELLENT VA synths that sound as warm as Sylenth1, but not as nice looking or fun to program.

I'll take my Korg Karma with my installed MOSS board (pretty much a korg Z1 and poly 800 mixed) - NOW that's fat warm analog at its finest (next to owning a super jupiter, prophet or moog)!

Mike

I have a Triton Extreme with a Moss Board. I use the expansion cards moreso than the Moss itself, but it's all good.

As far as Nexus is concerned...why not just turn the reverb....off?

It's pretty much like firing up Sylenth and asking yourself, "Would this shit sound as great if I just turned down...the volume?" Z3ta anyone? :lol:

I mean cause of course there are exactly 0 patches in Sylenth that are drenched in reverb right?

Of course not.
Last edited by neverfall on Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember kids...Everything is impossible until it's actually done.

Talking of reverb drenched loudness, check out Genesis CM. Completely ridiculous presets that can all blow your speakers as well as your processor.
I think softsynths are great if they fit into a mix nicely (like surge), not how loud and uberfat they sound on their own. One reason why I never end up using synths like Massive in my music.

In all fairness, many synths drench things in reverb.

Hell, I like some sounds drenched in quite a bit of reverb.

It's just EVERYTHING i've heard to date come from Nexus seems to be DRENCHED in effects.

For those that enjoy using Nexus, my apologies.

Now I need to go use Wusik and drench my stuff in reverb.

Mike

Great observation, but it depends on what you're going for. Sometimes I want an ensamble cast, sometimes a one synth show works. One thing I know for sure does not work is taking a one man show synth like Massive and putting it next to a couple other stage hogs. All this is relative though, as I'm sure Massive can be muzzled a bit and a synth like Surge can be encouraged to take the center stage. That's what production is all about. This conversation is as silly as saying one color is better than another.

The beauty of the timespace we're currently in is that you can get them both and neither really takes up any physical space in your studio. Season to taste.
fridtjof wrote:Talking of reverb drenched loudness, check out Genesis CM. Completely ridiculous presets that can all blow your speakers as well as your processor.
I think softsynths are great if they fit into a mix nicely (like surge), not how loud and uberfat they sound on their own. One reason why I never end up using synths like Massive in my music.

Minimonsta is the best VA vsti ever

gladiater
zebra
albino 3
korg legacy
predator
vanguard
reaktor 5

all top plugs, for sy trance love van guard and pedater, gladiaters useful. quite interesting not looking to upset anyone but this is a common conversation that sort of surfaces from time to time best vst or best sequencer, the top end of the market are all quality and serve various purposes making it hard to compare, and i have come to the conclussion its not the plane its the pilot and his knowledge that makes it a good ride, so log off and go and make some music ..........................

Sylenth1 is truly a great synth... If you want to make it a trifecta-pantheon then add RGC(RAPTURE) and Virsyn(TERA) synths and you have your tools , finis, kaput , DONE.

Some actually do - PolyAnna comes to mind, VAZ, of course, and Surge, even Zebra - though i prefer Sylenth. But really not many, though the differences are marginal and even might be due to the colour of the GUIs :-).

zerocrossing wrote:This conversation is as silly as saying one color is better than another.
Silly indeed... Besides, everyone already knows that orange is the best colour ever.

Period. End of discussion.

ViktorW wrote:
fridtjof wrote:Ya Z3ta sounds extremely sterile and I do not find it fun to program.
Wouldn't Massive have the insane sound quality you're looking for, the 1.5 version got 'vintage' oscs. Sounds really fat!
Oooh, what's that 1.5 version of Massive you're talking about? Can't find anything anywhere about it. Did I miss something?
Nope, considering the latest version's 1.1.3, and not 1.5...

Your Massive forum moderator,
ew
A spectral heretic...

ew wrote:
ViktorW wrote:
fridtjof wrote:Ya Z3ta sounds extremely sterile and I do not find it fun to program.
Wouldn't Massive have the insane sound quality you're looking for, the 1.5 version got 'vintage' oscs. Sounds really fat!
Oooh, what's that 1.5 version of Massive you're talking about? Can't find anything anywhere about it. Did I miss something?
Nope, considering the latest version's 1.1.3, and not 1.5...

Your Massive forum moderator,
ew
That was probably a reference to the current version of z3ta+ (1.5.3).
If you like 80s retro sounds, check out my latest tune…

But, it could also be a reference to the VA wavetables that got added with I think it was 1.1 (I'm not at home, so I don't have my plugin plethora available to check my readme notes).

ew
A spectral heretic...

This sounds good?: test (copy and paste to a new window)

Return to “Instruments”