Does any other VST sound as good as Sylenth?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hmmm... just tried the Mac version of Sylenth. Sounds very good. I'd have to say there is nothing new in there but the patches are all very usable and the programming is well done. I would definitely say it compares well with my current faves... But it is more of the same. I had sort of made up my mind to NOT buy any more synths, rather some new soundsets. But it's also reasonably priced... Oh well! 8)

Architeuthis wrote:So people are agreeing that Sylenth1 is better than a Virus?

Man this is KVR. People here will tell you a bikelophone is better than a Virus if they can find one for $2 and a wet biscuit.
Remember kids...Everything is impossible until it's actually done.

neverfall wrote:
Architeuthis wrote:So people are agreeing that Sylenth1 is better than a Virus?

Man this is KVR. People here will tell you a bikelophone is better than a Virus if they can find one for $2 and a wet biscuit.
Yes, the people that don't like the Virus... which are a lot here, but I do like it.
You are currently reading my signature.

Architeuthis wrote:
DevonB wrote:So I wouldn't say hardware is 'better', but the quality control of what is released, is likely to be better based on experienced, like minded people working together to make a product.

Devon
You've missed the main point of this thread and decided to restate it. Most people are mentioning Zebra, Surge, Sylenth1, Helix, Korg Legacy, and a few others. There are very few synths that can compete with hardware quality.
A thread? On KVR? Remain on topic? Say it isn't so!

For some reason, people want some comfort that their software sounds 'better' than hardware and try to justify it in a multitude of ways. The fact is, hardware and software sound DIFFERENT. What sounds BETTER is sujective and up to you to decide. If we only went for BEST of everything, we'd all be driving the best car, own the best house, be with the best mate, etc. anyway and settle for nothing less. I was merely stating why I think hardware sounds better in some cases. Hint - it has nothing to do with the box its in, only the code of the software running in it. ;)

Soft synths are really starting to mature and really giving some hard synths a run for their money. Whether you want to box it runs in to have its own keyboard, controls, etc is up to you.

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

Plus you can't caress and lovingly fondle a softsynth, or intimately bond with one while lugging up three flights of stairs...

Hey all........

Now that the Sylenth update has been out for a while - including the mac version - i was wondering if anyone else has a comment on this?

For me, Sylenth just gets better and better :)

Bestest, Paul

Stick any softsynth through some decent converters and outboard gear and it sounds pretty much the same as hardware synths, though some analog synths are certainly hard to beat ....for that "CHUNCKY YET SMOOTH" sound, plus nothing in software sounds like real lfo's and modulators for vibe and feel.

I use both hardware and software ..some cheap shit, some not um....cheap, but at the end of the day each has it's place.

Cheers. :)

Better sounding then Sylenth?
Zebra

Sylenth is definitely my favorite but I think Albino's pretty awesome sounding as well.

In one word "NO"! Maybe just because Sylenth1 is my favorite. Also I totally agree what KingofBeers said. All Synths hardware or software have there place in music production. It doesn't matter if it's a Free Synth or a $2,000 Synth they all can be useful for different things. So appreciate them all. 8)

Nope.. nothing else compares.
You are currently reading my signature.

I'm sorry guys, but I just don't get it. I've tried drinking the Sylenth1 Kool-Aid several times now, but I just don't hear what all the fuss is about, unless perhaps the sound quality of the demo is severely crippled (?). It sounds like a pretty mediocre synth to me, albeit with some very nicely designed presets. Don't get me wrong, I will admit that it's a nice sounding synth.......for $100. Unfortunately, it costs twice that, but doesn't offer synthesis capabilities or a feature set that can compete with synths in that price range. Rob Papen's Blue, NI Massive, Tone2 Gladiator and even Z3TA+ leave it in the dust as far as I'm concerned.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

absurd question really...

different synths have different sweet spots. 1 synth might really just nail a particular type of VA sound, while another does better on another type of VA sound. then of course, not everyone will agree what sounds better between two options.

then there are the many many sounds that a fairly limited synth like sylenth cannot make at all...

so the obvious answer is yes, many vst's sound as good as sylenth and in many cases some of them sound better

It's a great synth for sure... but, to be honest, I found a little boring the synth worship: "This vs That", "Something good as xyz", and so on. Over the years a lot of vsti has been worshipped as the second coming of Jesus Christ and then forgotten. I think that, unless you spend your time playing single patches, any synth sounds good: after all you have to write a song, mix it and so on, and a lot of work comes in the mixing stage. Synths are just synths: a sine, square, triangle or saw waveform is all you need. :hihi:

sylenth doesn't touch VAZ Modular

-but that is cheating since you can always bring Sylenth into Vaz as a module

Return to “Instruments”