Why is there no Roland JD-800 VST emulation ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Google the new... jD850

A Kontakt instrument, it's a coming out soon via sampleism soon I got a email...

ranger3 wrote:Google the new... jD850

A Kontakt instrument, it's a coming out soon via sampleism soon I got a email...
more info:
http://www.sampleism.com/cl-projects

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Don't buy into this "the JD-800 is a D50 with knobs"-BS! The JD is vastly superior. The reason that there is no VST of it is simple: there shouldn't! If you want one you should get the hardware. If you own the hardware you will agree with me. The JD is like many others a legendary synth and has it's own character and with time it only becomes more precious.

You could get a JD-990 instead which are actually very cheap second hand and which are technically even superior to the JD-800 but the 800 is an awesome synth in itself. I love mine and one will have to rip it out of my dead, cold hands.
“No matter how paranoid or conspiracy-minded you are, what the government is actually doing is worse than you imagine.” ~ William Blum

Ingonator wrote:

more info:
http://www.sampleism.com/cl-projects
The demo patches sounds fantastic to play with, and a great scripted GUI :hyper:

Looking forward to it's release, hopefully it will be in the same price range as other CL Project Kontakt libs at Samplism, about £20-25

I REALLY wish he'd release versions for Kontakt 4. I'd definitely get this along with the Viralism one.

sys2074 wrote:the 800 is an awesome synth in itself. I love mine and one will have to rip it out of my dead, cold hands.
OK :D

One downside I have read about the JD-800 is that it is quite a task to blend patches/tones in realtime:

Wikipedia: "due to the limited accuracy of the sliders, and because edited parameters jump from the value in memory to the value corresponding to the position of the slider, when the slider is moved, it is hard to edit sounds while playing, without creating sudden "jumps" in the sound"

This is not going to be an accurate JD-800 emulation. Each JD-800 patch has 4 layers, this has 2 layers. Without downloading it, I am guessing it is based on sampled JD-800 presets which are sent through Kontakt filters and envelopes.

Frantz wrote:

This is not going to be an accurate JD-800 emulation. Each JD-800 patch has 4 layers, this has 2 layers. Without downloading it, I am guessing it is based on sampled JD-800 presets which are sent through Kontakt filters and envelopes.
I guess it's the only way they could release it. They could not release a library with the ROM sounds without Roland permission (whuxch I don't believe Roland give), and the synth engine is pretty much "normal" to worth emulating.
I presume Kontakt has filters, envelopes, modulation and effects good enough to cover what's available in the JD-800, and if they are using samples of patches, two layers may be enough.
Anyway, probably not all the patches have four partials. The owner of the real thing can clarify this.
Fernando (FMR)

"Why is there no Roland JD-800 VST emulation?"

Maybe because the JD sound is dated and the technology was more transitional than landmark. :P

Uncle E wrote:There's one for Scope, as well. Eric Persing is the one responsible for making the JD800 so great so check out Omnisphere.
In this recent interview Eric Persing talks about his past work with Roland, interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... apQ#t=3668

fmr wrote: I guess it's the only way they could release it. They could not release a library with the ROM sounds without Roland permission (whuxch I don't believe Roland give), and the synth engine is pretty much "normal" to worth emulating.
I presume Kontakt has filters, envelopes, modulation and effects good enough to cover what's available in the JD-800, and if they are using samples of patches, two layers may be enough.
Anyway, probably not all the patches have four partials. The owner of the real thing can clarify this.
I understand the legal limitations. I have a JD-800. A patch with 3 layers is very common.

Another limitation of this approach is that if you sample a JD-800 patch with the filter mostly closed or short envelopes, opening the filters or envelopes in Kontakt isn't going to do anything.

Frantz wrote:This is not going to be an accurate JD-800 emulation. Each JD-800 patch has 4 layers, this has 2 layers.
You can circumvent that in Kontakt by making Multis, add two patches to a Multi in Kontakt to get 4 layers to play with at once

Frantz wrote: Another limitation of this approach is that if you sample a JD-800 patch with the filter mostly closed or short envelopes, opening the filters or envelopes in Kontakt isn't going to do anything.
It would be silly from them to sample short or muddy samples (but who knows?). They could always create those effects by using the filters and the envelopes in Kontakt, and still have material for other sounds. That's what I'd do, at least.
This is more a nostalgia exercise. I'm sure nobody would take this as a replacement for a real JD-800, the same way that Pink Noise Studios DeepFlight is not a replacement for a real D-50. And the panels look gorgeous anyway :tu:
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
Frantz wrote: Another limitation of this approach is that if you sample a JD-800 patch with the filter mostly closed or short envelopes, opening the filters or envelopes in Kontakt isn't going to do anything.
It would be silly from them to sample short or muddy samples (but who knows?). They could always create those effects by using the filters and the envelopes in Kontakt, and still have material for other sounds.
I also expect that CL project multi sample patches in various stages of filters / envelopes being open/closed on the JD-800, and build the Kontakt patches based on many samples, not just one or a couple.

Haven't read the whole thread so cba and apologies if repeated.

Got a JD800 use it as master keyboard, rarely use sounds purely cause I prefer a lot of itb, however, I occasionally hook it up. A while back someone had (probably not legitamately) posted the waveforms on the web.

Be interested to see what people make of the JD850 kontakt launched this week, coincidence? who knows :)

Will never sell it cause its nostalgic and is great fun. The slider tracking has never been an issue for me, work around it.

In short...like any emu's the hardware will invariably be better. The sounds are not really legendary, but there are some great sounds and fun to be had.

Mine...mine :)

Return to “Instruments”